MRJ 211 ?

cctransuk

• RMweb Premium

Now I know that it had become expected that MRJ would be weeks late, but recent issues seemed to buck that trend.

MRJ 211 was due for publication on 24/11/11 - has anyone had sight of it yet?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

....MRJ 211 was due for publication on 24/11/11 - has anyone had sight of it yet? .....

MRJ 211 is already on sale in the Ian Allan bookshop at Waterloo.

The only article that I found interesting was the one about rewheeling the "N"-gauge Dapol Q1 to 2mmFS standards, and the rest of it didn't really grab me at all so I didn't buy this issue.

Paul Karau has edited this one himself, in lieu of Tom (Bramblewick) Harland who has just finished radiotherapy treatment (and very best wishes to Tom in his recovery).

Looking forward to reading Julia's 2mmFS Q1 conversion, Geoff Taylor's Three Bridges engine shed and Karl Crowther's BR brake van article.

Penhydd Station - Geoff Forster

RTR Q1 to 2mm finescale - Julia Adams

Three Bridges engine shed in 4mm - Geoff Taylor

MRJ 2011 Christmas competition - Don Rowland

Central Cheshire retrospect - Don Rowland

The Alpraham runner - Don Rowland

Hedingham pt 2 - Alan Turner

A quintet of BR brake vans - Karl Crowther

Delighted to see Geoff F's article appear. Geoff's done a lot to inspire and assist people such as myself, newbies to the 'finescale world', so despite his natural modesty it's nice to see an implicit recognition of his talent via MRJ.

Don Rowland's articles I'm sure will also make this one a repeated read over the Festive season.

Look forward to getting my mitts on a copy.

My copy arrived at the club for me to collect tonight. Looks like there are a couple of articles that are of interest this time. Its a pity the brake van one is split though as I was more interested in details of the body than the build of the Bradwell chassis which i've already done.

Nice to see Don has done an article on that runner he showed me at Scalefour North.

Is it just me that thinks Don Rowland has over the years produced some of the most atmospheric layouts ever? I love his work.

That Hedingham layout is a bit nice too - in fact there's quite a lot to study in this issue, which I think is one of MRJ's better ones.

A pleasure to read "RTR Q1 to 2mm finescale" and a bit of a change to see something in MRJ that isn't 4mm, not that I am into detailing RTR or 2mmFS just another one of those pleasing reads outside the comfort zone.

Right up my street shed was the "Three Bridges engine shed in 4mm" and the "A quintet of BR brake vans" - for me MRJ back at its best following a couple of remarkably bland issues AFAIC.

And ... what an ugly beast! CSP's kit for a S&D Sentinel shunter. I am, of course, referring to the prototype, not the kit which should be quite good. Any takers?

• RMweb Premium

IF this was aimed at me, might I simply comment that the unreliability of publication of MRJ can sometimes lead me to wonder if I've missed an issue; since retirement, I only get to Smiffs every couple of weeks.

It has occurred in the past that an issue has been published and sold out before I was able to purchase - at which point I ordered a copy from Wild Swan.

I did ask "...has anyone had sight of it yet"?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

IF this was aimed at me,

No John, it wasn't. Posts it was directed at have already been deleted.

The main thing is to make posts add value in a way that 'mine has just arrived' or 'Smiths in Trumpton haven't got it' don't. (And this is not an invitation to discuss that point).

A pleasure to read "RTR Q1 to 2mm finescale" and a bit of a change to see something in MRJ that isn't 4mm, ...

>>>>>>> Right up my street shed was the "Three Bridges engine shed in 4mm" ......

Oh, no it's too inviting...

Better duck, Mod 5 6 may be about ... hullo, what's happened to Mod 5, the Mod normally on my beat?

Kenton,

Was it a recent MRJ or many years ago?

BTW thanks

Tim

As listed in the current issue. But it was a quick glance - not fully read through it yet. Now I'm not entirely sure if it was the final plan as I have found what I read a bit of a muddle. Need to put it down and read again.

But yet again we find a layout article without a clear track plan (yet again in MRJ) one of the most annoying omissions.

As listed in the current issue. But it was a quick glance - not fully read through it yet. Now I'm not entirely sure if it was the final plan as I have found what I read a bit of a muddle. Need to put it down and read again.

But yet again we find a layout article without a clear track plan (yet again in MRJ) one of the most annoying omissions.

Agreed, the whole point of the article was to illustrate how Don managed to fit elements of his previous layout into a space just 5mx3m and the omission of a plan makes the whole exercise somewhat worthless.

Tim

Has there been any online posting of Don Rowland's plan? I am intrigued how he managed to get P4 into 5mx3m without major issues.

Tim

This is being covered on the Scalefour Society forum http://scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1719 but for members of rmweb its probably worth saying here too - P4 in 5mx3m will give you a 4ft min radii continuous circuit which really isn't an issue for most stock apart from possibly a couple of loco step considerations and coach connections.

We'll be testing this at the club on the weekend with a new 7 coach rake round our 4ft circuit.

The sentinal seemed expensive when first announced but as a complete package in the box I think its fine.

My thanks to those who replied.

The Scalefour Society forum provided no better answer than my own efforts and I finally found a plan in MRJ 138 published in 2002, obviously Wild Swan expects readers to hold on to every copy rather than include a plan (did they keep a copy?) that would have made some sense of the otherwise excellent article in issue 211.

I note with some interest that Don had abandoned steel rail for the more user friendly nickel silver, as long term P4 protagonist, presumably Don has good reason.

After reading the Q1 article, I wonder if the 2mm society will consider the provision of wheelsets to make the conversion of Dapol models easier- their current concept for split chassis construction, whilst excellent, does require the modification of their wheels - something that could be considered.

Tim

My thanks to those who replied.

The Scalefour Society forum provided no better answer than my own efforts and I finally found a plan in MRJ 138

It looks to me from the sequence of posts that Keith Norgrove advised you where the MRJ articles were.

Archived