MRJ 211 ?

cctransuk

...but not an electric one.

Yet they still produce the best (IMHO) model railway mag by far and some of the highest quality and most informative railway (modelling and prototype) books on the market today and the hobby would be considerably poorer without them,

For me, they are doing just fine the way they are.

regards

Stewart

Edited to include ... ps My copy arrived in the post yesterday and, as previously commented, another excellent issue.

As mentioned in a previous post here, I don't miss Don's plan of the layout, BUT a photo or drawing of Missey's drive coupling between the tender and loco, especially re the location and work on the ex. handrail knobs would have helped me, but that dosen't detract from the overall artical on the 2mm Q1.

I can feel a reply coming that will tell me it's on a Blog somewhere here, but that's not MRJ.

Finally my copy reached me on Wednesday. As postmarks on “postage paid” mail no longer have dates it is impossible to tell from the envelope when it set out on its journey from Oxford. Perhaps it caught the X5 bus, whose timekeeping is also dreadful.

As others have said, there is much good stuff this time. Pride of place must go to Missy’s Q1. It would be rather good in any scale but in 2mm it is remarkable. There are some clever and gifted people working in that scale and you know who you are so do not try to deny it. I would guess that the work described in such calm and measured terms was at times more fraught than the reader might suspect. Even without the drawing of the drive coupling that Penlan would have liked it’s a good read.

I also liked Don Rowland’s Christmas puzzle. There are too few in our ranks who can claim a sound knowledge of how the real railway worked so I am looking forward to reading the answer in a few weeks’ time!

One thing that struck me was the absence of captions to many of the illustrations. It took me until part way through part 2 of the account of Alan Turner’s Hedingham to realize that one of the supporting pictures was duplicated on the front cover. Readers of “Small Suppliers Forum” will search in vain for the price of the new Hold and Fold Gold but then if we all knew it would spoil the surprise.

Chris

....... Readers of “Small Suppliers Forum” will search in vain for the price of the new Hold and Fold Gold but then if we all knew it would spoil the surprise.

Perhaps it's a way of encouraging you to visit their web site!

As mentioned in a previous post here, I don't miss Don's plan of the layout, BUT a photo or drawing of Missey's drive coupling between the tender and loco, especially re the location and work on the ex. handrail knobs would have helped me, but that dosen't detract from the overall artical on the 2mm Q1.

I can feel a reply coming that will tell me it's on a Blog somewhere here, but that's not MRJ.

Hello.

Well no-one else seems to be doing it so I will!

The link to my blog post about the driveshafts is http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/220/entry-5413-jigs-ahoy/ Its not the most descriptive of entries but hopefully it shows what I did. The hinge is used to drill a hole through the length of the handrail knob for the wire driveshaft, the other folded bit of Brass is used to file the Brass drive bits to the same length.

Im kind of glad my article has been received well, its my first ever thing I have written so I was a little nervous about seeing it in black and white...

Missy :)

Many thanks Missy, I appreciate that. I enjoyed your article, I've looked at the Blog - All's Clear now. Keep writing.

I admit I had to do a lot of articles with many omissions, errors etc., when I was Editor of the LNWR Society's Newsletters etc., in the 1970's

(and they were done using Gestetner Waxed paper and rolled off the printer, oh happy days and thankfully not to many members then)

before I began to get a bit better, but I'm still not there yet, there's still omissions, errors etc.,

• RMweb Gold

I also liked Don Rowland’s Christmas puzzle. There are too few in our ranks who can claim a sound knowledge of how the real railway worked so I am looking forward to reading the answer in a few weeks’ time!

Chris

I haven't got a copy yet - not in locally earlier this week but that's by the by - but it will be nice to Missy's handiwork in print and not havce to embarassingly admit that my specs aren't strong enough to look at it closely as I sometimes have to when I see her work at shows, G.J. Churchward had a phrase to describe it.

However I have got a copy of the 'puzzle' and am still trying to work out what the problem is (I'm also puzzled about the sheep which could easily be at Whitchurch by 7.30 pm to be watered unless there is some major laxity in dealing with matters) the rest of it is so simple I'm at a loss to understand it. So a tip from one who's been there - the simplest way is almost invariably the quickest and easiest way, and just think in terms of the following -

1. Protect the failed train (should have been done an hour ago).

2. Put in Single Line Working around it (also should have been done getting on for an hour ago).

3. Don't worry too much about the traincrew on the failed train - they're legitimate up to 12 hours and it was quite permissible to go over that.

4. Once all that is done next priority is to move the train and to be honest I seriously wonder why that hasn't happened as it appears to have come to a stand not more than shouting distance from a signalbox 65 minutes ago?

5. Train awaits arrival of replacement GW loco.

6. GW train re-engined and on its way (by about 6.30pm at the latest - although as a former senior railway operator with over 30 years in the trade I would want to know why it had taken so long?)

7. Failed loco cleared under its own steam or pulled back to Alphraham Sdgs to wait a tow home.

Anyway that's how I would have done it (sorry that's how I did do it - albeit without the sheep to worry me and with failed/burnt out diesels or failed electric trains instead of collapsed 4-4-0s). And sorry to spoil anybody's fun but it might also have given them an idea of how we did things in later years, and today, when resources were far more dispersed and less readily available or took much longer to get to a failed train. The rest of it was simply very basic railway operating work which comes as second nature to those of us who did it, and far more complex things than this, as part of our everyday jobs - although fortunately not every day, even in marshalling yards.

I reckon that if you took a couple of the glossier and more popularist model railway magazines, and stripped out the adverts, 20 pages of reviews, news, 4 page guides to how to assemble Superquick kits and other such stuff, you'd probably find the word count to be less than the MRJ.

But "4 page guides to how to assemble Superquick kits" is precisely what many of the reader of other mags require. I appreiate that everyone who reads MRJ can instinctivly assemble 2mm scale inside working valve gear without going through any form of learning process, but most others can't. They may also like to read the reviews.

I just don't see word count being the only guide. Some MRJ articles I find really exciting and inspirational. Others just seem like a list of Wild Swan books the author owns but than that very inconsitancy is what makes it endearing and worth my money.

Phil

But "4 page guides to how to assemble Superquick kits" is precisely what many of the reader of other mags require. I appreiate that everyone who reads MRJ can instinctivly assemble 2mm scale inside working valve gear without going through any form of learning process, but most others can't. They may also like to read the reviews.

I just don't see word count being the only guide. Some MRJ articles I find really exciting and inspirational. Others just seem like a list of Wild Swan books the author owns but than that very inconsitancy is what makes it endearing and worth my money.

Phil

Exactly the point of my earlier post - the value of a magazine is entirely subjective and numbers games are completely irrelevant. Sometimes I'd have quite happily paid the cover price of MRJ for one article in an issue, other times there's been nothing of direct interest or relevance to my own modelling, but it's £3.95 I'm happy to spend to broaden my horizons.

I've no doubt others can say exactly the same about RM,MR, HM or BRM; it's what works for you!

But "4 page guides to how to assemble Superquick kits" is precisely what many of the reader of other mags require. I appreiate that everyone who reads MRJ can instinctivly assemble 2mm scale inside working valve gear without going through any form of learning process, but most others can't. They may also like to read the reviews.....

Going off at a slightly Soviet tangent, would MRJ be Pravda? Or Izvestiya? (...on the basis that there's no news in the truth, and no truth in the news...)

Not a bad issue this time, but I do feel that we're suffering from a serious Alpraham Sidings overload, with there being no fewer than three articles based around it this time (including the Christmas Quiz).

It's nice enough and I certainly couldn't equal it myself, but time to call a halt on this layout for a couple of years, surely?

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mod 6

The reminder prompted me to revisit the rules.

I refer to rule 7:

7. Posts advising that 'Smiths in Stornoway' haven't got a copy will be removed.

[tounge in cheek mode] In view of the dissolution of Smiths of Stornorway, perhaps this rule needs a new example.

see this link:

http://cdrex.com/smi...ed-6749949.html

[/tounge in cheek mode]

Good edition, only flicked through it as saving it as I am off this Christmas.

Still miss the crossword tho :(

I always think of the MRJ as being a bit like a wise, old but eccentric, Great Uncle.

Loads of intersting things to tell, but sometimes goes on a bit, but we love him all the more for it!

Hi Mod 6

The reminder prompted me to revisit the rules.

I refer to rule 7: [/color][/size]

[tounge in cheek mode] In view of the dissolution of Smiths of Stornorway, perhaps this rule needs a new example.

see this link:

http://cdrex.com/smi...ed-6749949.html

[/tounge in cheek mode]

So that's why I couldn't find a copy ...................................................... :read:

This is not a personal criticism, so please don't take it the wrong way, but why the desperation for a trackplan?, takes up valuable photo/description space IMHO

I think a trackplan provides a nice context for the article and photographs. The 7mm layout which has been in the previous two MRJs is lovely and the overall layout intrigues but eludes (sp?) me. I find them useful for when you're trying plan a project of your own too.

Been reading MRJ at work today (sunday, loads of big gaps between trains!) and think it's a very good issue. The Brake Van article looks good, and I'll be reading it very soon! Useful too as I'm about to start a small fleet of brakes for my new project. :)

Not a bad issue this time, but I do feel that we're suffering from a serious Alpraham Sidings overload, with there being no fewer than three articles based around it this time (including the Christmas Quiz).

It's nice enough and I certainly couldn't equal it myself, but time to call a halt on this layout for a couple of years, surely?

It may be connected with the change of guest ediotr as outlined in the editorial.

Guest oldlugger

Going off at a slightly Soviet tangent, would MRJ be Pravda? Or Izvestiya? (...on the basis that there's no news in the truth, and no truth in the news...)

This is THE post of the week on RMweb! Classic! Love it...

Archived