Halwill Signal Box Progress: Stairway To Heaven?

After a hiatus in the modelling department, I've gotten my skates on and made progress with both Halwill Signal Box and Mr Brunel's Hat.

After trying numerous stair options, I came to the reluctant conclusion that I would have to scratch build the steps to HSB. Imagine my surprise, joy and delight... After a few bodged attempts, I managed to create something usable:

post-123-0-20472000-1323104806.jpg

What really bugs me is that although both sides were cut from the same template, the two sides don't look equal when looked at straight on, but as that will not be a problem as when Olddudders has it on his layout I understand that it will be hard to sight straight on. If nothing else, it catches the impression acceptably.

Further progress was made on the interior, with only the carpet and the coal bucket to be added. After cogitating long and hard about what it would be possible for me to do, I came up with a cameo for the box (with agreement from Oldddudders). The "back history" being that the signalman is an amateur rockabilly musician and will go and play a gig after his shift - hence the Gretsch White Falcon guitar and Hiwatt amp (and, yes, I know Trisonic will have a word or two to say about whether this is prototypical for the 1960s British music scene....)

post-123-0-93630800-1323105233.jpg

post-123-0-66241500-1323105246.jpg

I was actually quite pleased (for once) about how the signalmen turned out

post-123-0-72247500-1323105365.jpg

Finally overall progress to date (just roughly placed together):

post-123-0-07407800-1323105631.jpg

post-123-0-15907200-1323105648.jpg

post-123-0-50495800-1323105660.jpg

And finally, the lighting rig inside the roof.

post-123-0-33778600-1323105698.jpg

I really don't have much construction left, a few details to add to the cabin, half of the remaining windows to create and a chimney to add to the roof, then it's off to the paintshop before installing windows and adding watergoods. Could be done by Christmas :O

F

• RMweb Gold

Looking excellent Flavio although I'm not so sure about the guitar - especially where he's under the eye of a watchful Stationmaster. In those days it would be more likely watches under repair or someone in for a haircut - they seemed to be the principal sidelines of Signalmen in the more rural locations (and it might even be the Stationmaster getting his haircut). The Signalman looks top-notch, even got the right colour tie I think.

• RMweb Gold

So this is my Hornby Xmas announcement! Delightful Il Dottore detailing demonstrated, TVM! You haven't mentioned the lovely armchair, generously scratchbuilt and donated by a high-ranking RMWebber in Cornwall, which also looks the part and much more - thanks Tim! The stairs look fine, so does the sink, and the single-line instruments look first class - the Area Inspector (bane of a signalman's life) would approve!

Big tick again, ID!

... You haven't mentioned the lovely armchair, generously scratchbuilt and donated by a high-ranking RMWebber in Cornwall, which also looks the part and much more ...

I did forget, very remiss of me - especially as the armchair is an exquisite piece of scratchbuilding (sigh, I should be so good....)

Regarding Mike's quibble about the Signalman's Guitar and Amp. May I invoke Rule 1215? "Artistic Licence IS permitted except when detrimental to safety" :rtfm:

Thanks for the positive feedback

F

Love that Gretsch! Shouldn't it be accompanied by a Vox AC30 combo though...? :sungum:

My first thought. Unfortunately, even though printing at 1200 dpi on a laser printer, the VOX logo was not readable (and the HiWatt logo isn't much better - it's barely legible as is).

Perhaps a printer within even more dpi might make printing small things in 4mm clearer and more leigble (I wonder how Hornby and Bachmann manage to print those tiny, 4mm, maker's plates?)

F

• RMweb Gold

You haven't mentioned the lovely armchair, generously scratchbuilt and donated by a high-ranking RMWebber in Cornwall, which also looks the part and much more - thanks Tim!

You are very welcome (although the Cornwall bit is something of a ruse, I'm actually 20 miles inside the English border!! ;) ;) ). It really tickles me to think of that chair having been sent all that way to Flavio and now appearing in his own photos on RMWeb!

The whole box is looking really good, you must be really pleased!

• RMweb Gold

You are very welcome (although the Cornwall bit is something of a ruse, I'm actually 20 miles inside the English border!! ;) ;) ). It really tickles me to think of that chair having been sent all that way to Flavio and now appearing in his own photos on RMWeb!

The whole box is looking really good, you must be really pleased!

Yes, I mean considering I knew I'd never get it looking half-decent, and then having ID volunteer for the task, the result is already well beyond anything I might have hoped to achieve. But the builder does ask searching questions, and we have tried to make it as close as possible to the multiple images we have found, although the interior has involved some supposition. The armchair was regarded as a coup. Then there's the guitar......but I suppose if Cuneo can hide a mouse on his paintings, allowing Flavio to sneak a guitar onto the operating floor is almost trivial!

• RMweb Premium

I had a go at scratch-building some steps for an old Heljan (??) signalbox that was being thrown out by Kendal MRC, about 26 years ago; the box came without any steps and it sat in a cupboard at my Mum's house for all those years before I liberated it recently and scalpel in hand, had a go at the missing part.

My god, what a task; I do not envy you in the slightest. Mine are pretty far from straight and in truth, this box is highly unlikely to be used on 'Bacup' when the layout is at the point of requiring buildings (am I correct in thinking it's a GW based box?).

Gawdy colour is just on there as a base coat; completely wrong tone and glossier than a varnished copy of Vogue in a rain shower:

Bacupstoneterraces115.jpg

I had a go at scratch-building some steps for an old Heljan (??) signalbox that was being thrown out by Kendal MRC, ...am I correct in thinking it's a GW based box?

According to those in the know it's a GNR box (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/45858-sows-ear-signal-box/page__fromsearch__1) and I'm currently upgrading one (http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/46543-more-oinking-sows-ear-signal-box-progress/page__fromsearch__1) and like you, I'll have to scratchbuild the steps :help:

F

Archived