Railway footage in feature films and television...

10 hours ago, Smiffy2 said:

The boy said he wanted to see his 'favourite train' running again. He said it was the Flying Scotsman.

I understand that the real Flying Scotsman loco has been heavily overhauled multiple times in preservation and hardly any of it is definitely known to be original, so this actually seems very appropriate, given the attempts at restoration you mention in the rest of your post…

• Like 3

On 04/04/2024 at 23:48, 009 micro modeller said:

I understand that the real Flying Scotsman loco has been heavily overhauled multiple times in preservation and hardly any of it is definitely known to be original, so this actually seems very appropriate, given the attempts at restoration you mention in the rest of your post…

It's like Trigger's broom.

As a frugal Scottish person, I despair. I must prefer Tornado.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

I was watching Boys in the Boat (George Clooney directing the story of the University of Washington’s rowing teams journey to the 1936 Berlin Olympics) I was surprised to see their rail journey to Poughkeepsie started on MK1 coaches from Kings Cross. Turns out was all filmed in the UK

Edited by StuAllen
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
On 24/03/2024 at 22:20, steve1 said:

Beyond Paradise, Friday 22nd. That was the South Devon Railway I assume?

steve

Couldn't understand why everything (Loco, Coaches, Station) had to be labelled "Devon Railways"!

Why not just call it "Shipton Abbot Heritage Railway" and leave everything as it is. The green patches on the loco looked stupid.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

13 hours ago, melmerby said:

Couldn't understand why everything (Loco, Coaches, Station) had to be labelled "Devon Railways"! Why not just call it "Shipton Abbot Heritage Railway" and leave everything as it is. The green patches on the loco looked stupid.

Agreed, and why bother renaming it at all? I thought it was all part of trying to convince us that Shipton Abbot is somewhere mysterious in Devon. Not around Looe in Cornwall at all. Like the house boat the Inspector is living on. Which I think is close to Pentille Castle on the bend of the Tamar,

https://www.bing.com/maps/?cp=50.459217~-4.239171&lvl=18.0&style=h

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, KeithMacdonald said:

I thought it was all part of trying to convince us that Shipton Abbot is somewhere mysterious in Devon. Not around Looe in Cornwall at all.

According to Radio Times(?) they use about 6 different places woven together to depict Shipton Abbot.

Looe definitely has a major role in that.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On 06/04/2024 at 21:58, KeithMacdonald said:

It's like Trigger's broom  every British steam loco in the last 200 years which lasted more than a couple of years in service.

“FTFY”, as I believe the young shavers say nowadays 😉

RichardT

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Not the UK but the Twin Cities chosen few, Husker Du, the album cover for Zen Arcade (not the album cover below but another from the shoot)

tumblr_kvjhshBRgN1qz4rlz.jpg

Was shot in Minneapolis at the rather brilliantly named 'Pig's Eye Railyard' which is now part of CP.

Apologies if these have been posted before but I also give you  R.E.M. Driver 8 .

And the Doves at about 2 mins 30 in.

Edited by Morello Cherry

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Just a quick note to say, for those of us who have not seen every episode of The Sweeney, it is starting again on I.T.V. 4, Monday, 22d April:

https://www.radiotimes.com/programme/b-fyec17/the-sweeney/

Queenstown Road Battersea* station makes an appearance, I believe...  This is part of the 'eternal loop' alternating with The Professionals.

*Sorry, it was Peckham Rye.

Edited by C126
Correct station.
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, C126 said:

Just a quick note to say, for those of us who have not seen every episode of The Sweeney, it is starting again on I.T.V. 4, Monday, 22d April:

https://www.radiotimes.com/programme/b-fyec17/the-sweeney/

Queenstown Road Battersea station makes an appearance, I believe...  This is part of the 'eternal loop' alternating with The Professionals.

Peckham Rye station appears in the first episode 'Ringer', with Dennis Waterman chasing a petty villain along the platform.

(It's fifty years this month since the pilot episode 'Regan' was shot!)

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, Pacific231G said:

Which series of The Sweeny had the shot in the opening titles of the pedestrian overpass (long since dismantled) over Shepherds Bush?

That'll be the closing titles of Series 4.  The opening and closing titles were changed for Series 4 and, let's just say, it divides opinion amongst devotees.  Personally I prefer the "classic" tinted stills opening and closing titles used in the first three series and I suspect I'm not alone.

Edited by DY444
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
On 10/04/2024 at 07:38, ess1uk said:

The video for SmallTown Boy

does he change from his Glasgow train at Old Oak Common to get to Paddington?

He gets on a 210! Shame no exhaust thrash might have drowned him out  😀

• Agree 1

BBC News Channel is currently showing a fascinating edition of The Travel Show - "Germans and their Railways-a Love Story". It's based on their young reporter exploring Germany with a "Deutschland Ticket" - which gives access to the country's regional rail network for I think 47€ a month (You have to subscribe to get the ticlet and, if visiting as a tourist,  remember to cancel before you pay for the next month) . 

It includes the Alexanderplatz station on the Berlin U-Bahn, which was a ghost station during the Berlin Wall period as it was in East Berlin on a West Berlin line that passed through a bit of East Berlin. Also, the Wuppertal Schwebenbahn and its new museum that's just opened and, most interesting of all for me, the Lorenbahn that serves islands on the north coast that regualrly flood and on which locals run their own homebuilt railcars (the railway is actually owned by the government agency that protects the coast from erosion) Unfortunately visitors aren't supposed to ride on them unless staying with someone on the islands (in this case the owner of a B&B) 

The  programme is inevitably a bit superficial but nevertheless very interesting and well shot.  

It's on the BBC News channel I think once more today and once tomorrow before the next edition appears.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

8 hours ago, keefer said:

Thansk foir this Keef 

Though it's listed, it doesn't appear to be available for viewing yet- there is no hyperlink though there is for the other editions listed-. I think though that the final Tx was today so it should be avaialable very soon.  It's well worth seeing

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1