Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Fell, and other locomotive types that inspire strong emotions

Being born in 1976, I can't comment on a lot of the steam designs, but I will admit that I do like the way that Bullied styled his designs including the Q1.

The thing that sets a lot of locos of is the livery, and the Freightliner "PowerHaul" livery looks awful on anything and the class 70s are a triumph of function over form.

I also have a feeling of disinterest with certain steam engines, but then living on the ECML, I get the same A4's running up and down all the time, and as a passenger I'm not to keen on the 170 family or the Voyager family of MUs - nor am I taken with Pendilinos.

The Fell is just an ugly lump of wrongness. For me it's the noses. They're just so disproportionate to the rest of the body it makes it look actually building the body on the thing came as such a surprise they just had to slap some sheet steel around the mechanics, like a complete afterthought.

Funny that someone else has mentioned the Brush Type 2, as that's long been one of my dislikes. The grills just all look so wrong, the size of the thing just seems wrong for a dinky Type 2 and when you line it up alongside the rather attractive Brush Type 4 it just looks even more absurd.

They looked nice in green, but once full yelow ends and blue took over they looked tubby and the nose height really became apparent.

Nah, other way round matey - looked naff in green, but superb in blue! :)

Liveries are a strange thing - Class 50s in blue do nothing for me at all, very dull. But in large logo they look superb. Class 33s? Anything blue or later and 'nope, no thanks'. But in green with no warning panels - lovely. Weird.

I've bored you all previously with my take on the Peaks. They were so common in my spotting and bashing days that they were derided (as were those agricultural tools, the 31s), and the healed-up noses they had at the end were downright plain and ugly. Now, with my Waverley Route head on, I'm inclined to agree with Coach's take on the breed: as god and nature intended, in their as built state (and dare I say in eGSYP and BFYE) they were mighty fine.

They looked nice in green, but once full yelow ends and blue took over they looked tubby and the nose height really became apparent.

Nah, they looked great in any colour scheme, you could have painted one purple and it would still have looked good.......... :no:

Strong emotions? Deltics. The sound, the bluff nose with white marker lights, the twin windows. The sheer presence of it.

Dave's on the money here. Looks and personal prefs aside, it's the presence, of which the noise is a verrrrry significant component - from my first glimpse of Alycidon whuffling under Argyle Street bridge with the Hull Pullman, from them hammering past Balderton at the ton, from the miles behind them on the ECML and full circle to them bringing in the 'last London' in their last days, it gets into your bones. As an early Rail Enthusiast author John Nelson once wrote, the 'parp' of the horn was as if to say 'get back dogs, this is a real loco'.

I still have much affection for the Westerns I chased in the summer of '75 but looks wise and model-favourite wise, I think I'm with the Peak lads. Again the visual presence is there, with obvious nods to the Twins, and a performance (by all accounts) that belied their bulk.

At the age of 9 I remember well walking to the business end of Platform 1 of New Street to see what was about to haul my mum and I to Banbury on the 10.0 Padd, returning to the compo and announcing precociously that 'it's called WESTERN DRUID and it looks like it's covered in lichen,' which was clearly something to do with the hot summer of 1975 and the effect on her neglected unwashed flanks. From that day on, I was mesmerised by the sound and presence of these exotic (they seemed to me) beasts. My first Deltic (Nimbus at Grantham) had a similar effect - and I know of two chums at least who became enthusiasts after seeing a Deltic for the first time, having had little or no interest until that point.

Walking around the Science Museum about 20 odd years ago on a college day trip whilst on my apprentiship, myself and the other apprentices rounded a corner and were confronted by Deltic. The others, all into cars and bikes, went 'wow!', completely overwhelmed by the sheer prescence of the beast, made all the more impressive by seeing it at ground level.

Prefer the Ruston 48DS myself, I've built 4 for myself (so far...) and 2 for others.

One day I hope to build a Fell.

Electrics for me- although lacking the visual prowess and noise of other traction working hard, will always put in a superior performance. In many ways I'm glad I've been able to model quite a few WCML AC electrics without waiting for manufacturers to deliver them to me, and probably have a stronger attachment to my ageing but detailed fleet because of this.

• RMweb Premium

Reminds me of those fans you see (and I've seen) on diesel-hauled railtours who have strong preferences for certain classes waving and bellowing "hellfire" and other slogans.

The class 50s before refurbishment were known in some circles as the "fifty-fifties" because there was no idea if they were able to complete their journeys without failing in some way.

I think those interested in the 50s and the 55s have the most committed following on the net and real life.

Alot of what makes a loco is a sympathetic livery - take the 47/Brush type 4s in plain blue they were nothing special, but as soon as you put them in Large Logos, Intercity, RES (both versions) or Triple Tone Grey, they looked good. The Deltics looked huge in blue, and the Westerns just seem right in any livery.

The 37s and 40s looked best in Large Logo Blue, and the Peaks looked good in Green with the trimmings - except 45106, but that cooked itself (in shame).

Plain Black never works on any thing, unless it is SPOTLESSLY clean, or trimmed out a la LMS twins, or lined a la BRlys mixed traffic livery - and talking of steam liveries I always admired anything in 1951 Express Blue - including the fictional Hornby B12!!

• RMweb Premium

Ian,

My issue with the Leader and other singletons, is that the accompanying froth often expands into a 'wish-list- campaign for the awful thing thus robbing us of the opportunity for something mundane but jolly useful*.

Tim

*An offshoot from Hornby's T9 of a 700 would be a perfect example.

Yes, that applies to the prototypes as well, where as in the OP, a lot of money was spent on something that was way to complicated and so was destined to failure.

Kevin Martin

Electrics for me- although lacking the visual prowess and noise of other traction working hard, will always put in a superior performance. In many ways I'm glad I've been able to model quite a few WCML AC electrics without waiting for manufacturers to deliver them to me, and probably have a stronger attachment to my ageing but detailed fleet because of this.

I remember my first trip to Euston and the sound of the AC electrics (and a class 25 shunting the parcels platform). I thought war sirens were sounding because of the noise they made, especially the really old ones like the 81's. I never really took to the class 87's but I liked the 82's and 83's which worked the ECS.

Guest Max Stafford

The Fell; all the elegance of a brick khazi, but utterly dripping with mutant character.

I love it!

On the other hand as alluded to earlier, I had a mere incidental interest in trains until the day I encountered 'St Paddy' roaring northwards between Scremerston and Spittal Crossing - a true life-changing moment!

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

what other locomotive classes inspire strong emotions of like or dislike, for example because of their looks, their numbers, their similarity or their reliability?

I'm predicting that this thread will eventually go the same way as other recent discussions about contemporary or steam modelling and become very polarised in people's opinions.

However:

If there's a recent loco that creates a like/dislike then it has to be the 70.

I like.

D*lt*cs - I'm fed up of. :locomotive:

Cheers,

Mick

Archived