2 hours ago, Denny said:

I believe this is an old slam-door unit door latch. Unfortunately rusted solid but brought back memories. Found on a gate near a public foot crossing. 

GateLock.jpg

Your right! When did you last see/use one of those.....

• Like 1

On 26/03/2023 at 10:57, Wickham Green too said:

I don't know whether the coal had arrived by rail - but the Caledonian van was certainly a Ghost in the Machine :

b50_30.jpg.c256c0e0df01e747a922ddf170f606f4.jpg

Huntly : 26/3/84

Thanks for this, that's v interesting. Does anyone know how it escaped scrapping into the 1980's? Was it used for something at Huntly?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Clearly it was valued and even weatherproofed with roofing felt at one time - my guess is that the coal merchant used it for storage.

Thanks for this. That makes sense. I'm guessing that would have been McWilliams the coal merchant who are still based beside the Station, although they have diversified into quite a few other businesses now. Presumably coal delivery by rail stopped in the late 1980's or early 90's? 

Ken

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Not sure I'd say the Britannia Bridge was at Bangor ............. in railway terms, it's closer to Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch. 🙃

I was on the mainland so Bangor

and I can spell that 

Edited by ess1uk
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

17 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

The nearest station  used to be Menai Bridge where the Caernarfon line carried straight on and the Holyhead line turned right to access the bridge.

Now you drive down the old Caernarfon track bed to get to the GSMR

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Not quite in the machine, but definitely a ghost.

IMG_20230415_172800875.jpg.3826e3a029be2aba25b88a85f48c87ef.jpg

I'm guessing this used to reside in or near the station at Padstow. It's now propping up the wall outside the Shipwrights pub on Padstow Harbour.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

The plans in the OPC Southern Stations book don't show any milepost that I can see ............ must've been JUST outside. 

There's a M.P. marked on OS maps, just south of Dennis/Dennis Cove - presumably a Railway M.P. from Waterloo?

1905 OS 25-inch map

[Current road distance from Padstow-Waterloo is between 263mi (via Andover)-285mi (via Swindon)]

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Padstow was 260 chargeable miles from Waterloo although an older, rather indistinct, primary source indicates that it was actually either 259.25 or .75 miles.    So that milepost might well be from the vicinity of the station and it has been against that pub wall for many years.

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, eastglosmog said:

A ghost in the railway track at Evesham.  Must have been out of use since 2018, when the platform was extended.

RedundanttrackEveshamP1020812.JPG.0bd35cf632f0fe639761616222e614fb.JPG

At least they removed a section of track in order to build the platform extension - which is more than they did at Sandy. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, eastglosmog said:

Another one from Evesham.  I believe this is the base of a boundary marker between the GWR property and the MR property, where the MR line went over the OWW on a bridge.

BoundarymarkerP1020806.JPG.26892061a2d36229042cab68ce60848e.JPG

GWR broad gauge bridge rail? In fact surprisingly common having been re-purposed into things such as fence posts.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4