I might have a look at the Middleton connection in a few weeks whilst at their Diesel Gala- hopefully the Balm Road branch will be in use. Last time the far level crossing was out of use, and trains were top and tail instead of running-round the loop near to the gate to the exchange sidings...

• Like 3

Bit of a long shot this one, but it's been in my mind for a year or two.

In central London near Moorgate there is a wine bar called Fox Fine Wines & Spirits, whose shop front and signage has an attractive black & silver art-deco styling.    Either side of the company name are two silver foxes (see attached). 

It seems to me that these two foxes are almost identical to those fitted on A4 60017 'Silver Fox', being a pair which are right and left-hand facing, and about the same length, with same face and same bushy tail.  I am wondering if somebody acquired the two fox sculptures after the loco was scrapped, and thought "they'll look good on the front of our shop"?  

I am almost certain they are the same design, if not the actual pair from the loco.  What do others think?

Sliver Fox.jpg

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, mcjlf1 said:

In central London near Moorgate there is a wine bar called Fox Fine Wines & Spirits, whose shop front and signage has an attractive black & silver art-deco styling.    Either side of the company name are two silver foxes (see attached). 

It seems to me that these two foxes are almost identical to those fitted on A4 60017 'Silver Fox', being a pair which are right and left-hand facing, and about the same length, with same face and same bushy tail.  I am wondering if somebody acquired the two fox sculptures after the loco was scrapped, and thought "they'll look good on the front of our shop"?  

I am almost certain they are the same design, if not the actual pair from the loco.  What do others think?

Sliver Fox.jpg

I am bound to wonder what RECOVERS and REPAIRS have to do with FINE WINES AND SPIRITS!

I would guess that the latter have been affected later, when the premises changed it's occupation.

CJI.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mcjlf1 said:

Sliver Fox.jpg

At least the original right hand fox affixed to 2512 is captive at the NRM and before that Clapham.

I'm unaware as to the location of the other one.

IMG_2338.jpg.92261a44796beae686cf3adc22dd4a15.jpg

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Bon Accord said:

At least the original right hand fox affixed to 2512 is captive at the NRM and before that Clapham.

Ah, yes I had forgotten about the plate + fox in the NRM.  Guess that at least one of the foxes on the wine bar isn't ex-loco then.   The similarity is still remarkable though - perhaps the same sculptor got both gigs?! 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, mcjlf1 said:

Ah, yes I had forgotten about the plate + fox in the NRM.  Guess that at least one of the foxes on the wine bar isn't ex-loco then.   The similarity is still remarkable though - perhaps the same sculptor got both gigs?! 

Comparing the two, the posture is almost identical but there is more sculptured detail in the shop fox design and the face and ears are different.  The loco, completed December 1935 and the shop front in 1936, so it's quite possible that the then boss, apparently a Mr Dixon, saw Silver Fox and thought 'We'll have some like that'.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 02/05/2023 at 10:31, Bon Accord said:

I wonder when the nameplate is from? The loco didn't have them when new.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, eastglosmog said:

Track in the air on Llanthony Bridge over the East Channel of the River Severn at Gloucester.  GWR Docks branch has been defunct for nearly 40 years.

TrackLlanthonyBridgeP1020917.JPG.8ae8f1f2c4274b6f1f745206f51e925a.JPG

Unusual, it's usually the rails that dissapear, not the sleepers :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ben B said:

Unusual, it's usually the rails that dissapear, not the sleepers :)

Yes, it is a bit odd.  That longitudinal baulk seems to have completely disappeared, whilst others, whilst badly rotted, are still there. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...