Abandoned sleeper+chair in use as a fence post at Sharnal Street on the Grain branch.

66 passing with an empty tunnel segment train from the Ruislip HS2 site. 
Once there were sidings here leading to Kingsnorth and the Army line to Lodge Hill 

06203F9B-F347-4A07-9DAD-AE04A3A83665.jpeg.f4b0f91b1788b0973489edac68c1d6fc.jpeg

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Bon Accord said:

Burntisland ticket office still in a near timewarp aside from the modern posters and other items.

The built-in cigarette machine is interesting as it still proclaims a packet of Embassy can be bought for 20 pence

20230220_172623.jpg

20230220_172635.jpg

I can see shelving with Library books in.

Are you sure it hasn't be converted into a 'Spoons?😄

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Can't remember if I've posted it before in this thread but the original Burntisland station buildings still exist. This terminus was as far south as the east coast line went (the Edinburgh and Northern Railway), onward travel to Edinburgh and the South being by ferry across the Forth estuary to Granton. The tracks terminated perpendicular to the back of the building.

Burntisland Railway station

In the last 10yrs or so, the derelict buildings have been restored (notice a lot of new, pale stonework around the top level). I think the BR sign visible was (might still be) a BR original.

The present station (and ECML) is off to the left, accessible through the left hand archway (behind the row of cars)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burntisland_railway_station

Edited by keefer
Can't tell left from right
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, keefer said:

...l Burntisland ... onward travel to Edinburgh and the South being by ferry across the Forth estuary to Granton. ... 

Subject of a wonderful model railway ( sorry, this is supposed to be a 'prototype' thread ) ............. worth a long look if it appears at an exhibition near you.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Subject of a wonderful model railway ( sorry, this is supposed to be a 'prototype' thread ) ............. worth a long look if it appears at an exhibition near you.

Indeed, there is a link to the YouTube video in the following page about the original station.

I knew there was something more to the ferry service and it is that it was the world's first roll-on roll-off rail ferry, designed by Thomas Bouch (yes, that one). He designed a jetty on wheels, connected to a linkspan, connected to the ferry. Hence there was level loading of the rail traffic whatever the tide.

https://www.nationaltransporttrust.org.uk/heritage-sites/heritage-detail/burntisland-station

There's also a very good Oakwood Press book on Burntisland's railways, harbour and trade involved.

Edited by keefer
To correct details
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, eastwestdivide said:

I like the slightly chunky 60s/70s-style typeface above the ticket office window. 

Above the door to the platforms (through which I took the picture) there is similar lettering identifying the destinations from that platform.

See here: https://www.railscot.co.uk/img/25/717/

The ticket office was closed and waiting room locked when I was there so I couldn't get a snap from inside.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

A couple from me today.

First we have Nairn East Signal Box, which has been out of use for 20+ years I think. The main parts of Nairn Station are listed apparently, and Scotrail seems to be keeping them in good condition, along with Nairn Mens Shed. Nairn East looks a little less well kept, but is probably still wind and watertight.

A bit further south at Huntly we have a selection of signs from BR sectorisation and EWS at the former goods yard. Does anyone know what the last goods traffic from Huntly was? The yard is very overgrown, but the track is still there.

Thanks

Ken 

20230324_104209.jpg

20230324_173533.jpg

• Like 12

2 minutes ago, D6150 said:

A couple from me today.

First we have Nairn East Signal Box, which has been out of use for 20+ years I think. The main parts of Nairn Station are listed apparently, and Scotrail seems to be keeping them in good condition, along with Nairn Mens Shed. Nairn East looks a little less well kept, but is probably still wind and watertight.

A bit further south at Huntly we have a selection of signs from BR sectorisation and EWS at the former goods yard. Does anyone know what the last goods traffic from Huntly was? The yard is very overgrown, but the track is still there.

Thanks

Ken 

20230324_104209.jpg

20230324_173533.jpg

Nice to see a bit of old, wooden fencing! Railway company?

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, 33C said:

Nice to see a bit of old, wooden fencing! Railway company?

Thanks for this. Yes it would be, probably considerably older than the signs... Huntly was GNSR then LNER I'm not sure if either had a house style for fencing to be honest...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, D6150 said:

Thanks for this. Yes it would be, probably considerably older than the signs... Huntly was GNSR then LNER I'm not sure if either had a house style for fencing to be honest...

Yes, that's a whole new worm hole! I keep a weather eye open whenever Offtrack start clearing the lineside and recently saw some lovely LTS/LMS saw tooth revealed around Tilbury west junction. As an aside, the latest Palling fencing going up has been painted green and what a difference that makes! Much more subtle in the landscape. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 33C said:

Yes, that's a whole new worm hole! I keep a weather eye open whenever Offtrack start clearing the lineside and recently saw some lovely LTS/LMS saw tooth revealed around Tilbury west junction. As an aside, the latest Palling fencing going up has been painted green and what a difference that makes! Much more subtle in the landscape. 

Yes, something else for me to google...

In a way I suppose the railways changed the landscape as much with things like fencing as they did with grand projects like Viaduct and bridges.

Nairn now has green fencing since you mentioned it. 

20230324_103334.jpg

• Like 6

Very subtle, it took me a couple of seconds to spot it. Much easier on the eye. Security fencing in its natural state says "Keep out, go away, none of your business!", but the green says, "Don't mind me, bowling and tennis, green space". 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 02/02/2023 at 08:17, jamie92208 said:

I found a set of negatives in the shed a couple of days ago.  At the bottom of a box from when we moved to France 5 years ago.   I scanned them yesterday and this popped out.  It was taken at Spring Bank Holiday in 1999 whilst we were on a canal holiday with a boat full of teenage kids and their friends.  Not far south of Rugby this was in a field to the west of the canal.   Many years since it last signalled a train on the GC main line.   I've no idea if it's still there.

381635519_Film1999-3028.jpg.41a217b2b29f9739b1c5008d2da5b7fd.jpg

Jamie

Google Earth 2021image.png.c413267d90525789f224a6d03e6226a2.png 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 24/03/2023 at 17:37, D6150 said:

... A bit further south at Huntly we have a selection of signs from BR sectorisation and EWS at the former goods yard. Does anyone know what the last goods traffic from Huntly was? The yard is very overgrown, but the track is still there. ...

I don't know whether the coal had arrived by rail - but the Caledonian van was certainly a Ghost in the Machine :

b50_30.jpg.c256c0e0df01e747a922ddf170f606f4.jpg

Huntly : 26/3/84

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

On the subject of vans and linking with topical products there was an Iron Mink in full view parked in a siding next to Banbury Station for many years. From the badly work paintwork it looked to still be carrying GWR Red, GWR Grey and BR Light Grey in various parts. I think it lasted to the 1980s if not longer.

Paul Bartlett photographed it in 1978.

https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/gwrvans/e150e0b0d

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I think that is a CR Dia 67 van Wickham Green. Wonderful photo , it must be about 70 years old. 

The D 67 was built in various lots but that one seems to have its original CR 3 bolt buffers. Axleboxes might be a replacement. 

I wonder what happened to it . 

• Like 1