Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Golden Pup

Andy Y

This year we have seen some of the best models of their genre released but frankly some things are just wrong on a variety of levels.

I'd like to institute an award that no-one would particularly like to receive. It's great that positive developments are recognised within such things as the Model of the Year polls and I'm all for the positives but hopefully this could be the start of a wake-up call that a number of people realise when a pup's been released into the wild.

Therefore I'd like to open the nomination process and we'll run a poll over Christmas from the most significant nominations.

I would nominate these for starters:

Peco Royal Wedding MGR - tasteless spin on overstocks

Hornby 4-VEP - people on the 'net don't know what they're talking about

Hornby Gresley Buffet in Blue/Grey - in case we get rumbled we'll put some white windows in

It would be fairest if we could get a balance across manufacturers of course.

It's intended as light-hearted so please don't start any wars within the topic but hopefully it has some meaning at the end of it.

Oh Royal Wedding MGR is so hilarious it's worthy of Monty Python or The Fast Show.

However, my nomination goes to the 'Allo 'Allo themed Cotswold duff brought to you by Auntie Vi: 'Capitain Sensible'

http://www.ehattons.com/33383/Vi_Trains_V2065_Class_47_Diesel_47810_Captain_Sensible_Cotswold_Rail/StockDetail.aspx

• RMweb Gold

Oh Royal Wedding MGR is so hilarious it's worthy of Monty Python or The Fast Show.

However, my nomination goes to the 'Allo 'Allo themed Cotswold duff brought to you by Auntie Vi: 'Capitain Sensible'

http://www.ehattons....tockDetail.aspx

But that's a real one ... not sure it's a pup :dontknow:

• RMweb Premium

Hornby's 'Toy Story 3' set must be worthy of a (dis)honourable mention for being so late to the retailers the film it was mean to tie in to had been released and long since disappeared from the cinemas!!!

• RMweb Gold

Unless Cotswold had the same surplus of i's it's definitely duff but I've just checked and sadly it as a 2010 product. :(

Doh ! - Thats what I meant ! :blackeye: (honest) xD

Lima did a 60 using the same spiel chicker.

Great idea Andy and I know its intended to be a lighthearted exhortation for our manufacturers to do better. Mine is a bit more general

Hornby : Inadaquate mechanisms . As well as the 4 VEP (which I think should be the outright winner of the reward) we also have to put up with traction tyres on the recent Fowler 2P (and previous 4-4-0s) whereas Bachmann seem to be able to produce models with updated mechnisms eg 3F and 4CEP

Whilst I'm all for improving things by pointing out mistakes - especially those that are both glaring and not excused by the the manufacturing limitations - I do feel the idea is a little negative. After all the time to "help" or better still get the manufacturer to ask for help/review is before a Pup is released not afterwards.

Besides what would all of you keen on modifying RTR do with your modelling time if everything came out perfect? ;)

• RMweb Premium

How about the Bachmann Scenecraft model of Aidensfield garage, from the 'popular' TV series, Hearbeat? On it's own, not a bad structure I suppose, but it has Aidensfield written across it and I imagine that a lot of people who buy it (1) won't repaint it, (2) aren't making a model of anywhere called Aidensfield, and (3) feel the same as me, in that Hearbeat should have been abandoned after the pilot show.

I mean, what's it about really? A rural version of The Bill with old cars and the resident mad person who lives in a shed, or something?

The Scenecraft Aidensfield garage has to get a vote for that, if nothing else !!!!

I mean, what's it about really?

A bit of gentle escapism and a tad of nostalgia. :)

For me.................the CoBo, beautiful as it is (its in the eye of the beholder) the wiring qualifies it.

OK so I put mine right, but red faces fo Heljan and Hattons I think. :blush:

CAnt think of any more, apart from that its been a good year (for me!) :)

I doubt it counts but the soon to be rereleased Heljan 52 is coming out soon...

How about the Hornby county to be nominated for most shameless reuse of antiquated steam tooling in 2011 and the Limby Warship for the diesel nomination?

Just a suggestion, but I feel this award will make the biggest impact if it is restricted to completely new tooling releases in the release year it covers. Things weren't good at all not that long ago, and most of us could generate a fair list of duff items as 'previous contenders for this award had it existed at the time'; but that's all water under the bridge, and those models have likely long passed their peak sales.

If the award is to have any real success, it will actually affect sales while the item is still fairly new and should be selling well: if that's what we want to do? Based on some of the above comments it perhaps should come with a brief yet pungent message on the lines of 'we can tell the difference, and are not forking over for the poor stuff any longer'.

Might be worthwhile in the interests of balance to also take the votes from people who literally have nothing to object to in the new releases from the makers of the products that they are interested in, I am one such. Both Bachmann and Hornby have done a good job for me in 2011.

Based on some of the above comments it perhaps should come with a brief yet pungent message on the lines of 'we can tell the difference, and are not forking over for the poor stuff any longer'.

I do like that summary sentence!

I do feel that cynical re-hashes and spurious reliveries of existing models are fair game though and produce some of the most amusing content.

The Corgi "Great British Classic Tube Train" (1 coach!) " inspired by the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games" -Scale - "Fit The Box" :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.corgi.co.uk/shop/1050/great-british-classics-tube-train-ty88901/?from_categories=buses-and-coaches/london-2012-games

This is the old Corgi tube coach based on a Central Line 1992 coach no bogies - basically London tourist tat!

XF

• RMweb Premium

For a single model it's the 4-VEP - a great let down, especially as even with the cull of my stock to two eras, I still needed a few once they appeared in blue/grey. But the model is simply just not good enough. Mechanism, all axles, interior partitions, door handles/grabs, but most of all the cab front need sorting.

A dis-honourable mention goes to the Heljan Baby Deltic for errors in the bodyside grill/windows, something that should easily have been spotted.

Following on form that, I'll give a dis-honourable mention too to Heljan as a company, as they particularly seem to be unable to accept input on, check for, see and fix problems in their CAD before committing to cutting a tool! However, this is meant as a wake up call for them to improve their R&D processes, not to knock them down completely. I think they are capable of better and they're letting themselves down.

Just for a bit of positive, honourable mentions go to Bachmann and Dapol. They are giving us the models to a standard we want and are benefitting hugely from that in terms of reputation.

Dishonourable mention to HJ as a company is I think pretty much unwarranted. Me thinks the honourable gentleman should withdraw that remark.

If that's relevant then Hornby's waiting list of Class 31 mazak victims ought to be allowed, and I don't contest that it should.

EDIT: well maybe it should, but look everybody, here's R6547

41EkoKEE75L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Archived