The Model Signal box portfolio

Lovely mate, the lattice work looks very nice. Maybe one day one could appear on Holderness Drain North somehow?? If would look even better in 7mm !

ATB Mick

The nearest "Iron Bridges" to "Drain North" was approx 1 mile west at Southcoates Lane and Southcoates Station. Nevertheless, would make a very interesting project in 7mm scale. Mick.

post-702-0-66989100-1346147821_thumb.jpg

Now to plan the build of Hessle Haven signal box, regretably too early to include a 4mm model of Mick, busily pulling off that distant.

A bit like the attached, taken almost 30 years ago, the box closed two months later. Mick.

Suzi says she doesn't think you've changed at all!

No lever cloth?! ;)

Far cry from the 60 levers of the 1950's though even then I think there were spares.

Broomfleet's similar - once a sixty lever frame now with just seven operable levers. Quite a sad sight really.

If there is a garden wall bond brick sheet available, then it'll save me having to scribe out some.

Just a shame it didn't appear before I started on Botanic Gardens SB mark 3!

James,

I'm presuming that you have or have seen photographs of Gilberdyke - Staddlethorpe Junction when we knew it - as it was in the 1960's; it too had some fine examples of McKenzie & Holland iron signal bridges. As this is intended to be a Signal Box thread, then it might not be the most appropriate place to post some of these pictures, or is it? The thread may have digressed, a little, but it does make for a very interesting read.

Cheers

Mike

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Only just discovered this thread and as a fan of signal boxes thought I would add a couple of mine. They are 2mm scale and are for my slowly evolving model of Bath Queen Square (Green Park after 1951).

post-1074-0-32188500-1346225618_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-50041700-1346225664_thumb.jpg

post-1074-0-95339500-1346225737_thumb.jpg

There are more pictures of my boxes on my thread taken by Andy Y

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/52798-bath-queen-square/

Jerry

• Like 14

I'm presuming that you have or have seen photographs of Gilberdyke - Staddlethorpe Junction when we knew it - as it was in the 1960's; it too had some fine examples of McKenzie & Holland iron signal bridges.

I have yes!

By comparison, Gilberdyke isn't anything near as impressive (Even Cave LC used to be quite impressive! but it's still one of the best displays of semaphores in East Yorkshire!

• RMweb Gold

By way of comparison -

post-125-0-44481000-1346230845_thumb.jpg

Still semaphores but not quite as impressive -

You shouldn't have any troubles pulling those James - just ignore that rather dangerous looking illustrated guide thing issued by NR and pull 'em properly (Mick will no doubt show you how if you continue to ask nicely. And get those lever handles cleaned up and get rid of those bits of paper pinned on the 'block shelf - sorry; forgot - it's not one of my 'boxes and maybe they're not so keen on chasing up things like that in your part of the world?).

• Like 5

And get those lever handles cleaned up

I've made a start on the levers :D It's taking a bit longer than Crabley though!

Nice to see a box that still has real block instruments! Bet at least one of those notices pinned up on the 'shelf is a NR "don't put the signal back in front of a train" one....

There rather nice block instruments :) Though Broomfleet has the nicest ones locally - LNER ones in very good condition.

And, yes it is that notice!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

post-702-0-36573200-1348048681_thumb.jpg

At long last, back on the bench.

Attached, "Grab Shot" of today's progress with rebuilding the damaged signal bridge.Now only needs the ladder and a good clean down before fitting the finials and re-painting.

The photo reveals the front handrail at right-hand end is not true. Didn't show to the naked eye, but now put right, the value of modern technology. Mick.

• Like 11