Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

A question about SR passenger vans (not vans for passengers!)

melmerby

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

We seem to about to get an SR "Van B" in 00 gauge and we already have a "Van C"

The question is was there a "Van A" and what is the ex-Triang bogie luggage van based on?

Cheers

Keith

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

Not sure if there was a 'Van A' - the only other passenger brake van on the Southern was the Ferry Van, which is what it was called.

The Triang vehicle is loosely based on the 'Gangwayed Bogie Luggage Van' of which there were 120 similar over 5 lots.

Mike King's book on Southern Coaches is your best guide to all this.

• RMweb Gold

Remember there's an SECR utility van fully restored on the KESR known as the Cavell Van.

Following 10800's hint earlier, Mike King's book quotes the 45 SECR Cavell Vans as the prototype for the SR Covcar - or CCT as it became in BR terminology. The confusing thing to the casual observer is that Southern built superficially similar vehicles, some with guard's brakes, some without. So the Covcar/CCT did not have that facility, while the Vans B & C did. The Triang-based model that is so derided for its inaccuracies - despite being unmistakable for any other vehicle, which is why it still sells - did not have a brake compartment, but did have corridor connectors, while the Bogie Van B that we are NOT talking about here had the brake but no gangway. Ratio do the Van B in 4mm, and it looks good, but has a superdetailing package that some of us struggle with, while Hornby's Van C has lots of lovely detail applied by nimble Oriental fingers, thankyou.

• Like 3

Following 10800's hint earlier, Mike King's book quotes the 45 SECR Cavell Vans as the prototype for the SR Covcar - or CCT as it became in BR terminology. The confusing thing to the casual observer is that Southern built superficially similar vehicles, some with guard's brakes, some without. So the Covcar/CCT did not have that facility, while the Vans B & C did. The Triang-based model that is so derided for its inaccuracies - despite being unmistakable for any other vehicle, which is why it still sells - did not have a brake compartment, but did have corridor connectors, while the Bogie Van B that we are NOT talking about here had the brake but no gangway. Ratio do the Van B in 4mm, and it looks good, but has a superdetailing package that some of us struggle with, while Hornby's Van C has lots of lovely detail applied by nimble Oriental fingers, thankyou.

Is the Covcar/CCT you mention the one modelled by Wrenn and now Dapol?

• RMweb Gold

Is the Covcar/CCT you mention the one modelled by Wrenn and now Dapol?

Without owning one (I have a Parkside version on my overloaded workbench) I can't be dead certain, but am fairly sure, yes. Mike King records that the common SR luggage van - called PMV in BR parlance - was pretty much identical to the CCT in side elevation - but lacked the CCT's end doors. Again Parkside's version is half-built on my ......

Edited by Oldddudders

• RMweb Premium

Another good guide is 'Southern Railway Passenger Vans' by David Gould (Oakwood Press). It has some excellent drawings of all the principle types. The 'Cavell van' was in fact the prototype of all the Southern vans. It was also used to transport the remains of Captain Fryatt and the 'Unknown Warrior' in 1919/20. This and the first vans differed from the later vans in lacking the vents beneath the windows and IIRC even planking. Parkside do this version as well.

Talking of Hornby non-releases, a couple of the ex-SECR PMVs were fitted out with pull-push apparatus for the Brockenhurst--Bournemouth West service and were (I believe) the last pre-grouping passenger rated stock in service. We have the M7, all we need is a suitable pull-push two-car set... :no:

Guest Belgian

Talking of Hornby non-releases, a couple of the ex-SECR PMVs were fitted out with pull-push apparatus for the Brockenhurst--Bournemouth West service and were (I believe) the last pre-grouping passenger rated stock in service. We have the M7, all we need is a suitable pull-push two-car set... :no:

I assume you're not making predictions here . . .

• RMweb Gold

To try and summarise

SR GBL (Gangwayed Bogie Luggage) - BR Cor-PMV (Corridor - Parcels / Miscellaneous Van)- Produced by Triang and since by Hornby

SR Van B or Bogie Van B - Kit by Ratio and during RTR 2012 Hornby

SR Van C - BR BY - Kit by Parkside and RTR Hornby

SR Van U (Utility Van with end doors) - BR CCT (Covered Carriage Truck) - Kit by Parkside and RTR Wrenn

SR Bogie Scenery Vans (Hi arc roof bogie version of Van U also called Elephant Vans) - BR GUV - Kit I think by Jedenco

SR PLV (Passenger Luggage Van) - BR PMV (Parcels / Miscellaneous Van) - Kit by Parkside

• Like 5

The GBL, Van B, Van C and Scenery van were also all done by Roger Chivers as brass kits (and very good they are too). He may also have done CCT/PMV and Ferry Vans, I can't remember now - I haven't got them anyway. Certainly he did Queen Mary brake and ballast plough brake 'cos I've got them.

and presumably 2013 for the BR blue version - won't as good as my Ratio kits anyway - just like the BY wasn't - that's why I bought 2 !! :rolleyes:

I'm guessing that the "Elephant" van will be a Kernow limited edition as part of its on-going weedkilling train project ???

Out of curiosity, I looked at the 'Forthcoming Releases' section of Hatton's site. I couldn't see any mention of a Bogie Brake Van; however, there were listings for a 'Gangwayed Luggage Van'. They were priced at £23, about the same as the Van C- does this mean that the old Triang van is being rolled out again? It's older than I am (well, almost..)

• RMweb Gold

Out of curiosity, I looked at the 'Forthcoming Releases' section of Hatton's site. I couldn't see any mention of a Bogie Brake Van; however, there were listings for a 'Gangwayed Luggage Van'. They were priced at £23, about the same as the Van C- does this mean that the old Triang van is being rolled out again? It's older than I am (well, almost..)

The reasonable supposition elsewhere on RMWeb is that this is a Hattons typo - they mean non-gangwayed, as the Bogie Van B is. But £23 does sound alarm bells, especially as one of the other websites claims to have seen examples and describes them as superb. £23 does not buy that much quality in 2012, even at box-shifter prices!

• RMweb Gold

As Ian says this is a case of Hattons getting the description worng I can confirm that the Hornby announced new release is the Bogie B Van from completely new tooling and not either a simple re-release or retooling of the GBL Gangwayed Bogie Luggage Van.

Images of the pre-production sample of the Hornby Bogie Van B can be seen on my blog here.

• Like 2

There's a photo+ picture on the Hornby website where it's described as an Ex SR Luggage Van in the heading and bogie passenger brake. But the end is very obviously ungangwayed and it's obviously a Van B ( at least its very obvious if you've slowly been building the Ratio kit) I assume the photos are the Ratio kit - the coupling looks suspiciously like it , unless this release is very close indeed

This is certainly not the Triang van , though I can see how Hattons got confused

As Ian says this is a case of Hattons getting the description worng I can confirm that the Hornby announced new release is the Bogie B Van from completely new tooling and not either a simple re-release or retooling of the GBL Gangwayed Bogie Luggage Van.

Images of the pre-production sample of the Hornby Bogie Van B can be seen on my blog here.

It looks quite exquisite and scores over the kit in 2 areas I can see - window grills are provided, and the brake pipe along the solebar is modelled