Hornby 2012 announcements

Andy Y

Have to notice this odd one.....

Scaledale model statue of..... Frield Marshall Foch? Whats that all about??!! :mocking_mini:

I thought there was an equestrian statue of Marshal Foch (no Field) in every English village??

I can understand a Skaldale monument for the Great War but a Frenchman??

Ironically there is one* near Victoria Station! Doesn't quite have the same helmet as the Skaledale one though.

* Filed under "a prototype for everything".

Push & pull is a generic term used loosely by modellers and enthusiasts. The LMS painted pull-push on the ends of push & pull coaches but also referred to them as 'motor trains' while the GWR referred to them as auto trains and so-on. I don't think anyone could be castigated for getting things the wrong way around.

• RMweb Premium

We seem to spend far more time slagging Hornby off than praising them so I'd just like to hand them a bouquet for correct terminology - they have correctly described the new Maunsell pull-push set as a pull-push set, unlike many who have commented on the introduction of the same. Hornby got it right - the Southern had 'pull-push' not push-pull!

JE

Well, yes indeed, the Southern Railway did. But these are a BR(S) set, so I think the conventional designation is more accurate. Of course, 'pull-push' is always a more *pleasing* description.

ĸen

• RMweb Premium

It's since been rebuilt - Hornby have reliveried it in late BR green, removed the rear pony truck, renamed it to 'Paviland Grange' and generally given it a rather more Collett than Stanier look!

(For those who didn't see it, an LMS red 'Duchess' photo was originally shown on Hornby's website where a Grange should have been).

JE

Now that Hornby has uploaded the correct image of the Grange, it appears that it will have a smaller (3500 gallon?) Collett tender as opposed to the 4000 gallon one, as shown with the Castle in the image immediately above the Grange. Presumably this is correct for Paviland Grange?

EDIT: I originally included a comment about the tender with King Edward II but on further reflection I think my original interpretation of the images was incorrect.

• RMweb Gold

Now that Hornby has uploaded the correct image of the Grange, it appears that it will have a smaller (3500 gallon?) Collett tender as opposed to the 4000 gallon one, as shown with the Castle in the image immediately above the Grange. Presumably this is correct for Paviland Grange?

EDIT: I originally included a comment about the tender with King Edward II but on further reflection I think my original interpretation of the images was incorrect.

Paviland Grange ran with both the 4,000 and 3,500 gallon tenders (not at the same time) while on a Late Crest, Working Steam: Collett Granges and Manors has a photo of her in 1959 running with the larger tender and Power of The Granges has a photo of her close to withdrawal with a 3,500gl one.

I thought there was an equestrian statue of Marshal Foch (no Field) in every English village??

I can understand a Skaldale monument for the Great War but a Frenchman??

Ironically there is one* near Victoria Station! Doesn't quite have the same helmet as the Skaledale one though.

* Filed under "a prototype for everything".

I'd have thought a statue of Queen Victoria would have been more appropriate - any town worth its salt has one of these -

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3173/2664469831_f9e78e2f3e_z.jpg

or if there want to cash in on the jubilee one of the present Queen

• RMweb Gold

Push & pull is a generic term used loosely by modellers and enthusiasts. The LMS painted pull-push on the ends of push & pull coaches but also referred to them as 'motor trains' while the GWR referred to them as auto trains and so-on. I don't think anyone could be castigated for getting things the wrong way around.

Very true Coach. And to be 'orribly pedantic the Southern did not refer to them as 'pull-push trains' but actually called them 'pull and push trains' in its operating publications :jester: .

Guest Belgian

Now I'm being slagged off for praising Hornby!!!!!! Is it illegal?

Can not grumble to see yet another LNER loco or even more eastern region passenger stock. I just wonder where Hornby expect all us eastern region fellas are going to find all this money?

Having produced an L-1, B-1 and now O-1, let's hope for a K-1 in 2013; albeit a GER loco would be my preference!

Being a non-modelling Southern(SECR) man myself I was overjoyed to see the Maunsell pull-push set announced. I am so glad Hornby have listened to the oft argued point that branchline stock is the way to go. With the fine LNER suburbans this is a fine move. Could we yet see a SECR H Class in the future? Who knows . :scratchhead:

I wish I could get a layout up and running but my job moves me around in Asia quite a bit so setting up one and then dismantling and shipping it every two years or so makes it a big hassle. Still, I will definitely be getting one or two of these sets to put by for a later date.

Well done the boys from Margate!

By the way, in life were these sets only ever delivered in the green livery or were they turned out in crimson also?

Now I'm being slagged off for praising Hornby!!!!!! Is it illegal?

In what way is Larry's comment slagging you off for complimenting Hornby?

:mellow:

As far as I can see he's pointing out the pointlessness of getting too het up over a term which, if the stationmaster's post is anything to go by, is chopped and changed at a whim by companies anyway.

Hornby do get praised when they get it right, in fact I would go so far as to say they get a lot of plaudits for models when they get them right.

I do not understand the current thinking behind "it's fashionable to do this", "it's fashionable to say that". If you have a grievance with Hornby, take it up with them. If you want to sing their praises, do so.

Just make sure in both cases it is substantiated and warranted. I would not say Hornby at present are undeserving of criticism in certain areas: but by the same token, yes, let's praise them for a catalogue which has some sensibility and imagination to it, as well as some nice surprises too.

And of course, I for one will sing from the rooftops their praises when it comes to the Gresley Suburbans. :sungum:

• RMweb Gold

By the way, in life were these sets only ever delivered in the green livery or were they turned out in crimson also?

By the time these conversions were undertaken, Southern Region was happily painting all its coaches in green again. Since they had to go through works for the conversions to be achieved, I'm sure that whatever colour they bore on arrival, they would have been green on leaving.

Guest Belgian

In what way is Larry's comment slagging you off for complimenting Hornby?

:mellow:

As far as I can see he's pointing out the pointlessness of getting too het up over a term which, if the stationmaster's post is anything to go by, is chopped and changed at a whim by companies anyway.

Hornby do get praised when they get it right, in fact I would go so far as to say they get a lot of plaudits for models when they get them right.

I do not understand the current thinking behind "it's fashionable to do this", "it's fashionable to say that". If you have a grievance with Hornby, take it up with them. If you want to sing their praises, do so.

Just make sure in both cases it is substantiated and warranted. I would not say Hornby at present are undeserving of criticism in certain areas: but by the same token, yes, let's praise them for a catalogue which has some sensibility and imagination to it, as well as some nice surprises too.

And of course, I for one will sing from the rooftops their praises when it comes to the Gresley Suburbans. :sungum:

Don't take it too literally Simon, you'll note that there were lots of exclamation marks: it was a light-hearted comment about the fact that it doesn't seem to be fashionable to offer Hornby any praise these days (unless, of course, you are an LNER enthusiast. Are you one by any chance?!!)

JE

Don't take it too literally Simon, you'll note that there were lots of exclamation marks: it was a light-hearted comment about the fact that it doesn't seem to be fashionable to offer Hornby any praise these days (unless, of course, you are an LNER enthusiast. Are you one by any chance?!!)

JE

Sorry JE :blush:

I've been far too serious already this year, and fear I have been so once again today! :(

Am I an LNER enthusiast? I hadn't noticed... :jester:

• RMweb Gold

JE

:O :lol: :D :lol:

...Scaledale model statue of..... Frield Marshall Foch? Whats that all about??!! :mocking_mini:

Doncha know? Now that Hornby PLC own Jouef, Lima, Rivarossi, Electrotren and Arnold, they are obliged under EU law to implement Brussels' model railway directives in the UK...

Seriously, an odd choice (unless Hornby hopes to recycle some skaledale castings in the European market). Why not good old Queen Victoria? It can't be a copyright issue - surely?

F

I'd have thought a statue of Queen Victoria would have been more appropriate - any town worth its salt has one of these -

http://farm4.staticf...9e78e2f3e_z.jpg

or if there want to cash in on the jubilee one of the present Queen

Doncha know? Now that Hornby PLC own Jouef, Lima, Rivarossi, Electrotren and Arnold, they are obliged under EU law to implement Brussels' model railway directives in the UK...

Seriously, an odd choice (unless Hornby hopes to recycle some skaledale castings in the European market). Why not good old Queen Victoria? It can't be a copyright issue - surely?

Emphasis is mine - that's hilarious!

Does Hornby International offer cast resin scenery products for their European customers? I hadn't noticed, but don't pay attention and couldn't find the category on their website. I can't imagine anyone who might have been more unpopular with the British serviceman of the Great War, except perhaps the Kaiser or Field Marshal Sir Douglas (later Earl) Haig.

Only a serious adherent of historical accuracy would want a statue of a Marshal of France on a British layout, and even then,

• there's a good chance this model isn't actually based on one in Britain
  • the plinth is similar to the one near Victoria Station but still quite different in detail
  • most telling - the figure looks like a cavalryman in battledress and helmet with great coat - not the usual equestrian French statue with kepi - and the 'peak' on that helmet looks too big to be French (but it's clearly not German either).

If anything, this looks like a cavalryman figure who is too European to be British, stuck on a plinth and is being passed off as Marshal Foch because most people aren't going to be able to tell the difference.

In a Google image search for "statue of Marshal Foch" the only one that looks like the Skaledale one, is the Skaledale one!

Does it matter? No. Will I buy one? No. I freely admit that I'm complaining for the sake of complaining, but with such trivia, it's unapologetically sort of fun.

As my boss is fond of saying (paraphrased): "A grousing sailor is a happy sailor".

Have to agree about the almost useless idea of modelling Foch but should point out despite some opinions, Earl Haig was well respected as a soldier when he died. The funeral procession was massive and comparable to one for a Head of Government or State.

Quite why the Marshall was chosen is beyond me. I would have thought that an unknown warrior would have been a better idea, much like a Statue of a Tommy from WWII. That or the leading people that prop up would be, Duke of Wellington, King George V, Churchill. One great one to do would be the one that adorns Durham market place, being Viscount Castlereigh.

I think the statue idea is actually a brilliant one to model, but had they given it to be a better icon, then it would be a great seller. As a result, I think its Foch**...

Guest Belgian

Sorry JE :blush:

I've been far too serious already this year, and fear I have been so once again today! :(

Am I an LNER enthusiast? I hadn't noticed... :jester:

Thanks Simon! I just got the faintest whiff of a slight LNER enthusiasm, but maybe I'm just too sensitive . . . is it too late to say HNY yet? (I think LNER modellers are having one!)

Jeremy

Earl Haig was well respected as a soldier when he died. The funeral procession was massive and comparable to one for a Head of Government or State.

Yes, despite hindsight-based perspectives on the carnage of trench warfare in the Great War, Earl Haig did have a long and distinguished career, ultimately being reqwarded with a peerage. That he was knighted long before the war began is telling.

Archived