Hornby 2012 announcements

Andy Y

I have been curious to see how a RTR set-track point capable model will be accomplished, since it has been making a consistent showing in the wishlists. I can see the chassis block being very narrow (especially behind the outer drivers) to allow the necessary lateral movement of those wheelsets as one way of tackling the coupled chassis' curve negotiating ability. But it's that leading pony truck where the trouble lurks, trapped between large cylinders and the bufferbeam: and it has to be a flanged wheelset on both pony trucks to centre the coupler on the track. The appealing solution is to make the wheelbase a two truck configuration, using a centre motor Bo-Bo layout, and slot the crankpin holes on the inside coupling rod that bridges the resulting variable gap between the second and third drivers.

I am curious too. Swindon had the same challenge. The coupling rods between the rear two pairs of drivers had a ball joint to give three dirctional movement with additonal radial side play in the rear set. The 72XX were an even greater challenge. They derailed so frequently at Banbury, the class became banned from certain sets of sidings. Maybe we all need to be more realistic and not expect our long wheelbase locos to negotiate 15" radius curves. I suspect the rear carrying wheel will be flangeless with a spare flanged as supplied on the LNER pacifics, though with no outside framing on the 72xx it will be more obvious.

Some years back, I was servicing a German (I think) 2-10-0 loco for a friend. The chassis was in two sections with a union pin linking the two in a co-bo type fashion, similar to your suggestion. If I had not removed it from the track I would never have noticed the split. It would not please some people but it certainly worked well here.

Regards

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Gold

I am trying very hard to avoid any more locos that are of no use to the layout. but the 72xx 2-8-2 is going to be hugely hard to resist!

Whilst I am concocting researching evidence of their frequent and regular use in the Forest of Dean, would you like me to check their useage through Cheddar as well?! :D

• RMweb Gold
Take the GW 42xx:5205/72xx 2012 freight tank announcments. From a GW perspective, excellent news. But what are they going to haul from the Hornby wagon range ?

A selection of the products of Messrs Parkside and Chivers, I would have thought! ;)

• RMweb Premium

Confused.com!! :scratchhead:

Hattons website currently showing:

R3050 Hornby Model Railways, Class 56 Diesel 56082, in BR Blue.

OO Gauge (1:76th Scale)

£103

R3050A Hornby Model Railways, Class 56 diesel, BR blue, 56082. Due 1st Qtr

£110

(which I presume is the 2012 release)

So, apart from the £7, whats the difference?

The 101 Strathclyde Transport 2-car DMU in orange/black with Scotrail logo had only previously been available by Lima as a certificated limited edition which commanded high prices on a certain auction site. It's a good choice as they ran in that form from 1994, and transferred south in 2000, running out of Manchester Piccadilly until the end of 2003 and you can backdate it with the BR double arrow logo.

Thanks for the post, which dates this particular version of the Strathclyde livery for me.

I had been asking for a Strathclyde 101 via the Hornby forms at the Glasgow show and via their website for a number of years. I had naively thought there was only one type, the mid 80s three car one without the small ScotRail Whoosh signs. Then along came the Hornby Caley Blue version and then this one. I must learn to be more specific next time!! Nice model nevertheless.

Although the front can't be seen in the photos, based on what I can see at the corner of the front end I suspect the one Hornby are modelling this time is the one where the dark (black or dark grey) roof colour continues down onto part of the front. Was once told that denoted 2 car sets, the 3 car sets had full yellow fronts with black window surrounds.

I see people are referring to prices etc on Hattons website, I have had a look but can’t find them, any chance of a link.

Thanks

What we need to remember is what we regard as a 'balanced range' is not what other buyers think of - Hornby offer coaches and wagons in different colours that go with different engines = balance (to them). 'Balance' to me means being able to obtain, in RTR or kit form from any manufacturer, whatever suits my geographical area and period of modelling interest. And the 42XX etc adds critically useful locos in that respect to a range of wagons available already from various sources including a large pile of kits. The only thing which could do with some updating is an ex GW brakevan but what I have will pass muster until that day dawns.

I think there's a lot to be said for taking that approach- after all, it's pretty much what we do when we're buying, so maybe it makes sense perhaps for manufacturers to look at it from a similar point of view- Rather than just looking at what they need to release in their own range, also looking at it from the angle that 'If our rival manufacturers are already making 'Z', then we know there's a market for that- so those same people buying Z are likely to buy X or Y if we release it'

Is there perhaps a degree of this happening with both manufacturers? Hornby have released a lot of Southern locos and stock in recent years, but Bachmann very little- until over the last couple of years they throw in a couple of fairly essential EMUs and a long-lived and fairly widespread 0-6-0

Equally, Bachmann have pretty much cornered the market in 16T & ex-PO minerals, and have a number of heavy freight locos in their range (WD, G2, S&D 7F, 04)- Hornby have now complemented those by providing the GWR 8-coupled heavyweights that Bachmann don't already do (the 28/38xx and this year's big tanks) plus another Eastern Region 2-8-0 that WD and O4 owners are likely to be tempted by

• RMweb Gold

The 101 Strathclyde Transport 2-car DMU in orange/black with Scotrail logo had only previously been available by Lima as a certificated limited edition which commanded high prices on a certain auction site. It's a good choice as they ran in that form from 1994, and transferred south in 2000, running out of Manchester Piccadilly until the end of 2003 and you can backdate it with the BR double arrow logo.

(Some) Freshly painted Strathclyde units also ran in Manchester area in 1993 before going to Glasgow (I presume covering diagrams whilst others were in works). I filmed one on the Heysham 'boat train' in Sep93 whilst waiting for the IoM ferry.

Whatever you think of the given models - and I agree, the quoted 101 above the solebar is excellent - it constantly amuses me that people think Hornby would even consider retooling them whilst the current models keep selling. 'Continous improvement' doesnt really cut it at Margate in the same way as it does at Barwell, and other than the 60 and 67 which have obviously met some magic criteria, it's just not a very Hornby thing to do.

My recollection of the timings would be that, assuming it takes at least a couple of years of development to create the brand new model then Hornby would have been working on the 60 before they bought the Lima range - if that's the case then it would have been a choice between abandoning their project and re-issuing the Lima or ignoring the Lima and finishing their project, which thankfully they did as it's a great model.

The 67 is a bit of a conundrum - the Lima was a wierd hybrid between modern and what we might call 'railroad' standards, it definately wasn't up to modern standards...it's not a surprise that a modern model ought to be capable of being a huge amount better...

But Hornby have been revisiting their own older models (most noticeable in the steam and steam wagon ranges rather than diesel era) recently, is this the first ex Lima or ex Airfix they have replaced?

I suspect that some of it is the 67 is arguably a bigger seller now than in recent years, with several ways to use them on short passenger workings in various parts of the country (and with more to follow) - or on freight, and now with lots of liveries too. If it's likely to arrive in shops shortly then it's likely the project goes back to early 2010 or even 2009, which I think probably matches when they started getting a much higher profile with the executive train, W&S, DMU replacement workings etc etc...

I'll be interested to see if the model really is all new , or if it retains much of the Lima chassis with a new , accurate body, lights and NEM pockets

From the images that's not the Lima chassis (look at all that lovely daylight that Lima ignored!) - it doesn't even look to re-use the Lima bogies as they seem to have separate dampers etc....

Just an observation:

Flying Scotsman Train set 2012

Obviously the above uses the new tooling seen in the Railroad range, but can I say - how much more accurate than the old tender drive model is this?! The buffer shanks, the smokebox, the steps, right hand drive not left hand drive, and what appears to be an all new tender too. NEM pocket on the new front bogie and superior walschaerts valve gear.

This is a much, much better depiction of Flying Scotsman in 1928 than previous incarnations. Dare I say, however, that I fear the buffers themselves may follow the line of Tornado and also be moulded as part of the bodyshell (as it looks it currently?) - a minor nitpick.

This new Railroad model, when you look closely, has a lot of detail. I am wondering if the excellent flywheel chassis under Tornado has been reused in some way. This particular model has piqued my interest more than I first thought it would!

• RMweb Premium

Confused.com!! :scratchhead:

Hattons website currently showing:

R3050 Hornby Model Railways, Class 56 Diesel 56082, in BR Blue.

£103

R3050A Hornby Model Railways, Class 56 diesel, BR blue, 56082. Due 1st Qtr

£110

(which I presume is the 2012 release)

So, apart from the £7, whats the difference?

A typo?

I've seen the 2012 release as 56083 elsewhere... so no real difference in fact.

OAKBANK did have a six-wheeled tank wagon - but it looked NOTHING like a milk tank wagon.

I really cannot see the point of these spurious liveries with the merest nod towards the prototype.

If the potential purchaser doesn't care that the model is almost entirely fictitious, they will almost certainly be unaware that OAKBANK, as opposed to A. N. OTHER OIL COMPANY, had a six-wheeled tank wagon.

Ah well,

John Isherwood.

There were a few six-wheel tanks around Scotland, though, as John says, they bore little resemblance to the milk tank. Apart from Oakbank, E G Steele of Hamilton and a cable-compound company also had examples- I'm afraid it's the 'Close enough- it's only a wagon' syndrome, which has existed from the early days of the hobby. Wait till they notice the Albright and Wilson 6-wheel Phosphoric Acid tank, in a very attractive greeny-blue....

• RMweb Premium

There were a few six-wheel tanks around Scotland, though, as John says, they bore little resemblance to the milk tank. Apart from Oakbank, E G Steele of Hamilton and a cable-compound company also had examples- I'm afraid it's the 'Close enough- it's only a wagon' syndrome, which has existed from the early days of the hobby. Wait till they notice the Albright and Wilson 6-wheel Phosphoric Acid tank, in a very attractive greeny-blue....

There WAS a six-wheeled cable compound tank wagon that bore a PASSING resemblance to a milk tank wagon - LMS Diagram 2030. Looking at Fig.158 in LMS Wagons 1 I'd say, without checking the NPCS diagrams, that the tank diameter at over 7' was larger than that of a typical milk tank wagon. According to Bob Essery, no photos of Diagram 2030 are known to exist, so it'd be a little difficult for Hornby to reproduce, (after a fashion), this one.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

There WAS a six-wheeled cable compound tank wagon that bore a PASSING resemblance to a milk tank wagon - LMS Diagram 2030. Looking at Fig.158 in LMS Wagons 1 I'd say, without checking the NPCS diagrams, that the tank diameter at over 7' was larger than that of a typical milk tank wagon. According to Bob Essery, no photos of Diagram 2030 are known to exist, so it'd be a little difficult for Hornby to reproduce, (after a fashion), this one.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

They refer to Diagrams for their wagons? As an aside, I wonder why six-wheeled underframes were used, and why was their use confined to one part of the UK?

I discovered recently that the French, during the 1960s, produced quite a lot of three-axle tanks with a design of tank similar to the 45t monobloc design used in the UK- I wonder how long it'll be before we get a milk tank lettered for Elf or Total?

You got it in mind for a few more LNER conversions?

A few more budget conversions, yes. That new corridor tender will be of great use. It looks as if, from the Hattons description, it has used the same 3 pole motor/flywheel arrangement the Tornado model uses so it'll be interesting as to just how it good it will be when it comes out. If smokebox superheater headers, banjo dome, and new buffers were applied along with removal of the moulded handrails and fitting of proper ones, and fitting of glazing, it might come out as a nice, cheap conversion to an A3.

A non corridor tender would have suited me better, but one suspects if they are willing to tool up a new Railroad A1, a new Railroad A3 and A4 can't be far behind, and a non-corridor tender might turn up there in some form.

I'm hoping to nab some slimline tenders too, for my Legends Scotsman and Railroad Mallard. Hopefully the apple green is a close match.

I'd be wary of that as the connection between the loco and tender appears to match the Tornado model.

The thought occurs that you could effectively create a half decent and almost accurate Darlington built Peppercorn A1 model from using the Railroad Tornado and the new Railroad A1 Flying Scotsman corridor tender chassis (not the corridor tender top).

Should Hornby do a non-corridor tender in that vein, I wonder how far away a generic Railroad Peppercorn A1 is?

• RMweb Premium

They refer to Diagrams for their wagons?

I'm not sure what you're asking - the LMS, (in common with the other members of the Big Four), had diagram numbers for virtually all of its wagons.

Diagram 2030 was owned by the LMS - though it was probably leased to a private operator.

This was a not unusual arrangement, especially for tank wagons, and one that was perpetuated by BR.

Ragards,

John Isherwood.

EDIT - Ah, missed the irony, sorry !! (That's the trouble with e-mails).

I'm not sure what you're asking - the LMS, (in common with the other members of the Big Four), had diagram numbers for virtually all of its wagons.

Diagram 2030 was owned by the LMS - though it was probably leased to a private operator.

This was a not unusual arrangement, especially for tank wagons, and one that was perpetuated by BR.

Ragards,

John Isherwood.

EDIT - Ah, missed the irony, sorry !! (That's the trouble with e-mails).

I was thinking more of Hornby..

My recollection of the timings would be that, assuming it takes at least a couple of years of development to create the brand new model then Hornby would have been working on the 60 before they bought the Lima range - if that's the case then it would have been a choice between abandoning their project and re-issuing the Lima or ignoring the Lima and finishing their project, which thankfully they did as it's a great model

But Hornby have been revisiting their own older models (most noticeable in the steam and steam wagon ranges rather than diesel era) recently, is this the first ex Lima or ex Airfix they have replaced?

Thanks Martyn, must admit I wasnt too sure of the timelines but if it means the 67 is in fact the only 'bought in' model to be retooled as yet, it only underlines the point I was making.

Hornby do have a recognisable history IMO of revisiting their own 'back catalogue' - 8F, Black 5, Brit, Princess, M7, BR brake and tippler, Gresley corridors and more - and being cynical, it would be easy to pass that off as lazy research ("it did well for us before, we'll do an updated one"). Whereas with the ex-Lima, Airfix and Dapol models, they possibly dont have that same access to the groundwork that would enable them to know the significance of any given model. The bought-in stuff owes them little, they keep churning it out in batches as long as it sells, but committing major investment to new versions of it is another thing altogether. Somebody suggested earlier they should use the Tope chassis to upgrade the ex-Airfix 21T hopper, TBH I doubt they even realise they're the same family of wagon.

I'd be wary of that as the connection between the loco and tender appears to match the Tornado model.

The thought occurs that you could effectively create a half decent and almost accurate Darlington built Peppercorn A1 model from using the Railroad Tornado and the new Railroad A1 Flying Scotsman corridor tender chassis (not the corridor tender top).

Should Hornby do a non-corridor tender in that vein, I wonder how far away a generic Railroad Peppercorn A1 is?

I'm heading off topic a little here, but I did have an idea earlier for the Gresley and Peppercorn A1's. In a similar vain to the old CKD kits, you could buy a basic loco shape with additional fittings for things like corridor connections, deflectors etc etc

Although back on topic, I do like the 'premium' loco connection, the hole and pin. I don't like the new one they use for Tornado, it rattles as she goes along. Like you say, going by the CAD images they look like they use the coupling used on Tornado.

I was suprised to see several Tornado packs with what is essentially the same loco. Bit annoyed the 'Tornado Express' version last year did not have the premium detail. The new A3 looks pretty nice though!

Archived