Hornby 2012 announcements

Andy Y

Yes, despite hindsight-based perspectives on the carnage of trench warfare in the Great War, Earl Haig did have a long and distinguished career, ultimately being reqwarded with a peerage. That he was knighted long before the war began is telling.

And a locomotive named after him, a GCR B3 4-6-0 which ultimately became a lone (but very handsome) 6ft 8in Thompson prototype.

Guest dilbert

I thought there was an equestrian statue of Marshal Foch (no Field) in every English village??

Hornby's title is in fact correct - Foch was made a British Field Marshal in 1919.

As for the Skaledale model, the horse looks remarkably like a shire horse and would appear to be a 4mm giant amongst its kind. Foch could have probably ploughed the trenches with a beast of that size.

An approximation similar to that of the 4-VEP ?... dilbert

• RMweb Gold

the horse looks remarkably like a shire horse

Presumably a Percheron? [The couple that I had to apprehend a few years back were ever so sweet and easy, given their size, and positively patient while we waited for their owner, even though the head-collars I had available were much too small.] They seem to have been much-used (the horses, not my head-collars) in World War 1.

I thought there was an equestrian statue of Marshal Foch (no Field) in every English village??

Hornby's title is in fact correct - Foch was made a British Field Marshal in 1919.

Yes indeed, though you will allow that they spelled Marshal incorrectly, which we can happily overlook.

Though Marshall is sometimes attributed as a US spelling, this is probably derivative of people seeing in the form of former Secretary of State, George Marshall, Alfred Marshall's chain of discount store - Marshalls, or the incorrect (and inconsistent) use of "Marshall Dillon" on title cards for Gunsmoke.

Guest dilbert

Yes indeed, though you will allow that they spelled Marshal incorrectly, which we can happily overlook.

Though Marshall is sometimes attributed as a US spelling, this is probably derivative of people seeing in the form of former Secretary of State, George Marshall, Alfred Marshall's chain of discount store - Marshalls, or the incorrect (and inconsistent) use of "Marshall Dillon" on title cards for Gunsmoke.

It just Hornby promoting themselves as a true global company... Anglo and Amercian language usage, product manufactured in Asia, a French Marshal sat on a Shire horse - all that's missing is the pricing in Zimbwabean dollars.

Looking thru the Jouef catalogue, they seem to do an extensive range of catenary accessories - kind of strange that this isn't featured in the 4mm range...dilbert

Hornby should stop producing "named" or one-off livery Class 08 variants (unless limited edition/special commission) and concentate on regular new releases of BR normal Blue and Green variants as well as sector-era - may I venture to suggest Departmental Grey?!

And when is a "Dutch" livery Class 31 coming (or either a plain or two-tone Departmental grey class 31/4)??

Hornby should stop producing "named" or one-off livery Class 08 variants (unless limited edition/special commission) and concentate on regular new releases of BR normal Blue and Green variants as well as sector-era - may I venture to suggest Departmental Grey?!

And when is a "Dutch" livery Class 31 coming (or either a plain or two-tone Departmental grey class 31/4)??

Hornby have already released a "Dutch" liveried Class 31... I believe it was part of the original batch...

DSCF0172.jpg

DSCF0170.jpg

DSCF0169.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Not seen any mention of which quarters the models are due for release, so in case I've overlooked it, does anyone know when I can expect a Class 01 2-8-0 on my doormat? :wub:

Hattons say Q4 guv. Probably xmas eve.

I saw an advanced issue of the catalogue today, and I can confirm there is nothing therein which hasn't already been highlighted here, or on the Hornby site.

In terms of balance, I am a little disappointed that no new wagons were announced, particularly when many of the plank and PO wagons continue to use archaic underpinnings.

Why not a super detailed travelling crane - with the possibility of dcc actuation of jib and chain-block. With a diminishing number of un-modelled prototypes (particularly modern image) it will soon be time to start thinking more laterally about what new models will sell.

N

I saw an advanced issue of the catalogue today, and I can confirm there is nothing therein which hasn't already been highlighted here, or on the Hornby site.

In terms of balance, I am a little disappointed that no new wagons were announced, particularly when many of the plank and PO wagons continue to use archaic underpinnings.

Why not a super detailed travelling crane - with the possibility of dcc actuation of jib and chain-block. With a diminishing number of un-modelled prototypes (particularly modern image) it will soon be time to start thinking more laterally about what new models will sell.

N

I am guessing your last sentence reverts to locomotives again Neal ? If not then I have to strongly disagree with you, although we have already done the "Hornby hates nice wagons" thing many times before. There are a myriad of steel carrying wagons which could really boost the manufacturer's portfolio - starting with a retool of the Lima bogie bolster "E" and finishing with a nice BR built "plate" SPV with either roller, plain or Athermos axleboxes.

I will however dismount from my hastily placed soapbox on this occasion.

...With a diminishing number of un-modelled prototypes (particularly modern image) it will soon be time to start thinking more laterally about what new models will sell.

I am guessing your last sentence reverts to locomotives again Neal ?

As per my previous posts herein; maybe they already have (started thinking more laterally about what will sell).

No doubt this will produce a few anguished howls, but it's probably time that 'modern image' (for want of a better phrase) modellers started to get their heads around an uncomfortable possibility. Hornby dont actually have any obligation to offer a balanced range to them, to 'fill gaps' or to move on to unexploited areas like electric locos or MUs. I dont believe they see new models primarily in terms of what shape and colour they are as we do, more in terms of margins and returns.

To be strictly correct, as the old dear was a French officer, it should be Maréchal Foch....

One of the great things about Lima at the time was they'd release about 20 odd different locos a year of popular types like 31s, 37s, 47s etc. Because Hornby have to book slots and not have their own factory, such things aren't going to happen.

• RMweb Gold

Thats interesting...just the other day Hattons said the 72xx was due 1st quater, now it says 4th quater...production slots slipping already I wonder???

I wonder if Hattons/Hornby got the dates the wrong way round?

Given the GW tanks only had prototype photos in the press release while the O1 had a pre production model (and hence logically is much nearer to hitting the shelves.) Q1 does sound a tad optimistic for anything other than the 67 though...

• RMweb Premium

A thought reR3105 GWR 4-6-0 ‘Wellington’ Castle in the late 40s GWR Livery

Given that it has been said already about it only having a Hanksworth tender post 1948 (and hence would not have carried GW branding), would it be worth contacting Hornby and letting them know of the error/limited nature of the release.

You never know they might see sense and release it with a more appropriate tender...

Hi Rich, How did you get on with your email to Hornby?

A collet tender would suit nicely.....

This taken from the Great Western archive:

5075 Wellington. Originally built as Devizes Castle, August 1938. First shed allocation Wolverhampton, Stafford Road. Renamed October 1940. August 1950 shed allocation Chester. March 1959 shed allocation Plymouth Laira. Last shed allocation Bristol, St. Philip's Marsh. Withdrawn September 1962. Scrapped at Cashmore's, Newport.

http://www.greatwest...stle5b.htm#5075

Failing that, I might change the tender and call it Devizes Castle!

I wonder if Hattons/Hornby got the dates the wrong way round?

Given the GW tanks only had prototype photos in the press release while the O1 had a pre production model (and hence logically is much nearer to hitting the shelves.) Q1 does sound a tad optimistic for anything other than the 67 though...

Q1 for the 72xx is on our order forms .....sent out on the Tues 3rd ...so I expect Hattons originally went off that ...and now it has been changed...??

also the Brighton Belle driving cars are down for Jan release ....while the intermediate coaches are 2nd quarter ....so up to 6 months between releases ..if the coaches are not delayed... :O

Regards Trevor .... :sungum:

I believe the little Beattie Well Tank, MR Compound, S&DJR 2-8-0 etc show the way thinking has changed in recent times. The Compound represents but one loco, the Beattie 3 locos and the 2-8-0 just 5 locos as rebuilt in BR days. This move is far removed from the old concept of producing locos with a very wide appeal, and yet sales show the above locos do have a wide appeal!

Therefore, it is my opinion that we can expect the unnexpected such as 'collectors' GER/LNER Claud Hamilton, GCR/LNER Director, a P2 and GNR large Atlantic. To dispell any thoughts that I have an LNER bias, these particular locos spring to mind whereas nothing from the GWR, SR and LMS comes to mind. The GWR and LMS were comparatively wealthy and managed a standardised range of locos by the late 1930s, all of which have already been produced in model form, so I doubt if we'll see a GWR Star or Saint or LMS Rebuilt Claughton or SR Paddlebox from Hornby.

Bachmann seems to be different and we may be able to look to them for 'railway modeller' locomotives..... Thompson Pacific, Stanier 2-6-0 and 4F maybe....?

Archived