Banbury in N scale - A great time at the Abingdon in March 2024

roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

Nice to see Banbury in the flesh today and to have a chat. Looks even more impressive first hand, the detail is wonderful

Thanks Steve

Good to meet you too. Those aerial shots you posted early on in this thread came in handy and will still be viewed to do further work to the layout.

Regards

Ian

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

We had a quick stop at Banbury last Monday to change trains on our way back home from Cumbria but did manage to see a frieght train or two and a couple of Chiltern loco hauled sets pass each other.

The construction of the new multi storey car park to the East of the station is now under way with foundations currently being constructed. This now means the model is now very much a historical one.

Even the fencing adjoining the carriage sidings has changed and the pallisade fencing in front of the Chiltern control has moved nearer the tracks to make their parking area a bit larger now that thay have lost some to the new car park construction.

The toilets on platform 3 are now closed presumably for trail pits to determine if any extra support is required for the new footbridge link to the multi storey (there was a fenced off pile of earth in the corner of the canopy on this platform).

I am not planning on modifying the layout to bring it up to date but you never know at some point in the future.

I am now working on soem 3D prints from a couple of rmwebbers. Photos will appear soon.

Next show for the layout is Seaford in a few weeks time.

Ian

And 73s

Ah, forgot about the 1E22 Friday only that ran for 2 weeks with booked double 73's too.

I was on the first train, 1 x 73 boiled dry at kings sutton and the other developed a fault coming into Banbury.

The only motive power to take the train forward? A class 25 which was on a 'target' freight working.

Pure bliss.

• Like 1

Ah, forgot about the 1E22 Friday only that ran for 2 weeks with booked double 73's too.

I was on the first train, 1 x 73 boiled dry at kings sutton and the other developed a fault coming into Banbury.

The only motive power to take the train forward? A class 25 which was on a 'target' freight working.

Pure bliss.

1E22 FO - the Portsmouth - Leeds that used to be booked 33 for a long while ?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48175753@N03/6978517474/in/photolist-bCEJ7N

Never heard of it being booked 73s - when was that ? :O

I was thinking of this working

http://www.flickr.com/photos/d1059/7442869136/

Edited by D1059

• RMweb Gold

Some nice shots.

I miss the 33's and 73's but at least we still do occasionally see 73's here on the Southern.

Looking forward to the multi-storey being completed as I will be able to go to the top level and get some suitable shots for the back scene. Hopefully they will do for an earlier time now that you have got mew interested!!

Maybe make another 4 boards with an earlier version!!

Too many other projects coming on line to do that now!!!

Ian

• Like 1

1E22 FO - the Portsmouth - Leeds that used to be booked 33 for a long while ?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48175753@N03/6978517474/in/photolist-bCEJ7N

Never heard of it being booked 73s - when was that ? :O

I was thinking of this working

http://www.flickr.com/photos/d1059/7442869136/

Hi D1059,

When the Portsmouth harbour-Leeds was introduced (I believe) the 73's were booked as motive power throughout for 3 weeks until the powers that be, decreed a motive power change.

Now I remember when I got the first one as I was on the way back from a permit visit to Swindon works and scrap line, on the first Friday of it running (it may have been the first Friday of that years summer timetable though).

The year was around 1980 just before the works closed if that helps track the working at all.

Like I said, instead of capping it it Banbury a 25 got put on the front and it ran to Brum at least with the rat with the 73's revived and running back south from Banbury soon after the 25 departure.

Halcyon days indeed.

The footplate haulage I've had at Banbury include 20,25,37,45,40,47 and 5o and how I miss those days.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

Hi D1059,

When the Portsmouth harbour-Leeds was introduced (I believe) the 73's were booked as motive power throughout for 3 weeks until the powers that be, decreed a motive power change.

Now I remember when I got the first one as I was on the way back from a permit visit to Swindon works and scrap line, on the first Friday of it running (it may have been the first Friday of that years summer timetable though).

The year was around 1980 just before the works closed if that helps track the working at all.

Like I said, instead of capping it it Banbury a 25 got put on the front and it ran to Brum at least with the rat with the 73's revived and running back south from Banbury soon after the 25 departure.

Halcyon days indeed.

The footplate haulage I've had at Banbury include 20,25,37,45,40,47 and 5o and how I miss those days.

Cheers

Dave

The booked return for the 33 off the FO Portsmouth-Leeds was a southbound freightliner the following day, Saturday.

Don't have the exact working to hand sorry.

Scott

• RMweb Gold

As I was working Friday morning I caught the lunchtime loco hauled service from Marylebone to Banbury where I met my other half etc who had driven from home with 'Roundhouse' loaded in ithe car.

We had chance to photo a few trains including an empty car train (must do one of those in N) before continuing our journey North to Warrington.

The contractors were busy working on the foundations for the new car park but the rest of the station is still much as the model.

Hopefully the recent visits to Banbury will get me motivated to do a bit more detailing this week in time for the layouts next shwo at Seaford in West Sussex this coming weekend and also for the High Wycombe show the following weekend.

Must also finish the pocket container wagon 3D print. Its painted but the enamel is taking ages to dry.

Ian

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

There are a few items that I am working on at the moment.

Apart from the pocket container wagon which I will post on Vonzacks thread I am in the process of spraying the Network Rail 3 D print which is BMTHTrains CAD handiwork. The finish of the print is superb so will look good when completed.

Also on the workbench is a Farish Voyager.

I have replaced the middle coupling bar with Microtrains couplers to ease setting up. The unit is stored in two sections so the Farish coupling bar will remain on those pairs until I get a new supply of Microtrains 1015 couplers.

It has also had the roof weathered but will need a little more blackening in the vicinity of the exhaust on each coach. The new Reading bridge does give a good vantage point to study the roof on the Voyagers!

post-1557-0-63589000-1382423255_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-61711600-1382423278_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

When I got home last night there was a soggy parcel by the door. Luckily the contents were wrapped in bubble wrap.

So the planned work on the layout was postponed and the 3D prints were cleaned.

This is a Wndhoff MPVs kit produced by the N Gauge Forum. It requires a Tomix chassis which I had brained in advance, so some dry test assembly was started last night with the Tomix motor and trucks were fitted this morning together with the longer drive shaft.

It goes together well.

The etched fret containing handrails is superbly done. I am hoping to have this running at the weekend but it will be some way off bring finished.
Maybe it will be nearer completion for Wycrail.

post-1557-0-74924300-1382510643_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-78443100-1382510669_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 6

All looking great to me. Especially the Network Rail and Windhoff jobbies.

I'm a member over at the NGF too and can't wait to try my hand at one of these as well.

Bogies are on the way but the chassis is noticeably harder to source at a reasonable price now we have all these great 3D prints that use it. 

Can't wait to see this progress.

Tom.

• RMweb Gold

Crikey - who would have thought the NSA were interested in N gauge modelling, thought they would be too busy intercepting all our emails! :umbrage:

B****y auto correct on the tablet!!

I thought I checked it aswell!!

Ian

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Premium

I did find myself wondering what the NSA forum is, and why they'd duplicated what the n gauge forum have done!

Does look good that MPV, would like to get one, just put off by painting it, or the rubbish job I'd make of it!

• RMweb Gold

I did find myself wondering what the NSA forum is, and why they'd duplicated what the n gauge forum have done!

Does look good that MPV, would like to get one, just put off by painting it, or the rubbish job I'd make of it!

The MPV detail is superb.

Its not that difficult to paint as the colour generally changes where there are angles in the body work.

This morning I pre drilled the holes for the etched handrails then sprayed some of the  parts in celullose primer to see if this is better for the enamel top coats. It has has picked the intricate detail of the print out very well.

Still plenty of work to do including finding some suitable Kato trucks  (hopefully in my spares box) to use the wheels and pick up parts out of them and fit into the 3D printed trucks.

If I dont have any I may have to temporarily fit some other wheels so I can test run it on Banbury at the weekend.

Ian

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

Looks like you will have a nice set of Network Rail machines there Ian. A nice and unusual addition to the fleet.

There are a couple of us who own / have built various items.

So far we have the following:

High Speed test train

Hobbytrain tamper (which will be replaced with a BMTHtrains one at some point)

class 150

Class 121

Class 57 snowbird

Ckass 31 and structure gauging train

Class 37

rail grinder (under construction)

PMV - under construction but should be just baout there for Wycrail with any luck

and a whole host of NR wagons of various types.

So we wont have any excuse to blame the rail lines for any derailments / operating errors!!

Ian

Edited by roundhouse

I can't believe I've only just found this thread somehow! I've really enjoyed reading through this thread - a very good and inspirational layout. Mind you I agree with the others that a backdating to the 80s would be good......I spent many trips home from university going through Banbury, and with its old infrastructure, signals and boxes it was a highlight of the journey, This captures it very well, and is another layout shwoing how good modern N gauge is, especially if you want to run full length trains.

I'm also considering moving to DCC for my N gauge layout - and tips or hints? What decoders have you used? Do you control the whole layout including points with DCC?

Sorry for so many questions! If it ever heads north to an exhibition I'll try to have a look.