Banbury in N scale - A great time at the Abingdon in March 2024

roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

I can't believe I've only just found this thread somehow! I've really enjoyed reading through this thread - a very good and inspirational layout. Mind you I agree with the others that a backdating to the 80s would be good......I spent many trips home from university going through Banbury, and with its old infrastructure, signals and boxes it was a highlight of the journey, This captures it very well, and is another layout shwoing how good modern N gauge is, especially if you want to run full length trains.

I'm also considering moving to DCC for my N gauge layout - and tips or hints? What decoders have you used? Do you control the whole layout including points with DCC?

Sorry for so many questions! If it ever heads north to an exhibition I'll try to have a look.

Thanks Tom

I generally use Bachamnn 6 pin decoders in anything with 6 pin sockets such as most Dapol locos and newer Farsih ones.

Some of the Dapol steamers need thinner 6 pin decoders such as those produced by CT Electronik

In Farish 66's and others that need hard wiring I tend to use Digitrax DZ125s or 135's.

Most of the Farish Chiltern 168 DMU's have Hornby decoders but am starting to move to the Digitrax DZ125's as the wires tend to come off the Hornby ones when having ot remove the body a number of times to clean the bogie pickups etc.

The whole layout  is controlled using Digitrax system with a Loco buffer interface into the all in one touch screen PC's whihc have JMRI software to control and monitor the DCC wired turnouts (using Digitrax DS64 stationary decoders).

We have a few shows up North in the pipeline.

Keep an eye on here as I will post details of the shows nearer the time.

Regards

Ian

Hi Ian,

Just to say Banbury looks fantastic, I have just recently started in n gauge after years of 4mm and bit of 7mm modelling so will be looking at this layout along with a few others for hints and tips. I will have to keep a look out if you are heading up North with Banbury.

Cheers

Simon

• RMweb Gold

I woke up very early this morning and couldn't get back to sleep so it was downstairs to continue working on the Windhoff MPV.

The motor is now in place and wired to a Digitrax DZ125 decoder.

Most of the etched handrails are now fitted to the various units and these now temporarily glued down onto the MPV.

It's still mainly in primer with one chassis painted black but it hasn't dried properly so it's had a quick spray of Dullcote which at least it has hardened enough to be handled.

I am going to have to get a collection of acrylic paints as enamels just will not dry on 3D prints.

Any fingers crossed that the MPV (and the KTA pocket container wagon) will make it round the layout today without any problems.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

A few photos taken today

Another road vehicle has appeared on the bridge. A truck bought 2nd hand today for a fiver. Needs gluing down.

post-1557-0-37089400-1382822313_thumb.jpg

The KFA pocket container wagon running rather well.

Needs the brake wheels adding and weathering.

post-1557-0-45545900-1382822335_thumb.jpg

And finally the first run of the Windhoff MPV.

Still needs a lot of work on it and more pickups. It has a couple of temporary bogies on the rear of each unit. I have put longer couplings on them and packed them a little bit better tonight plus added some weaight over the driven bogie to help improve performance tomorrow.

post-1557-0-62125100-1382822356_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian,

Some great photos. I have been recommended elsewhere to try oven pride oven cleaner (primarily sodium hydroxide) to clean 3d printed parts fir painting. I had some trouble with an IQA taking ages to dry, though it did after a few weeks. That model had originally been cleaned jus with isopropyl alcohol.

I much prefer enamel to acrylic for spraying - mainly because acrylics seem to dry too quickly and gave a tendency to clog - so I'd be interested in any acrylic spraying tips!

Cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Ben

I tried doing the light green on the WIndhoff cab last night. As I had sprayed the can with yellow cellulose I thought the enamel green would dry but it hasnt.

We can run it today as its best handled using the chassis in the middle.

I have use USA acrylics in my spraygun and had mixed results.

I have also used some of the Humbrol acrylic rattle cans and so far they have been fine but genreally I brush enamel paints.

Tom - I will check what make the trxuk is today when we get back to the show.

Ian

• RMweb Premium

I much prefer enamel to acrylic for spraying - mainly because acrylics seem to dry too quickly and gave a tendency to clog - so I'd be interested in any acrylic spraying tips!

Cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben

My son uses Vallejo acrylics for spraying and they give a very good result not sure though if any of their colours will be of use.

Cheers

Paul

Thanks for that Ian.

After a quick bit of research, they were apparently sold by Farish before Bachmann acquired them. I dare say they're pretty tricky to get hold of now.

Very nice find.

Tom.

Pete

Could you elaborate on what you meant by 'medium'? Would that be the 'thinners' or some sort of retarder to slow down drying.

If thinner then for Vallejo, LifeColor and esp Tamiya I use their own thinner and for Pollyscale / Badger I use distilled water

Dan

• RMweb Gold

The layout is now safely stored back home and we are hoping that we have no damage in the approaching storm.

Apart from a short in the wiring yesterday and operator mishaps the layout ran very well over the weekend.

The short happened due to some now redundant wires for polarity change being knocked in transport. They have now been removed altogether.

This afternoon the show was still busy ( and busy over the whole weekend which is good for the club).

We even had a couple of young girls with their father keenly counting wagons as they passed and they had a brief go at driving a few trains under the guidance of Mike.

Being at the end of an aisle we had a lot of interest in the fiddle yard.

A few more photos from today.

post-1557-0-66921700-1382900390_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-46776600-1382900470_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-81580800-1382900593_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Work contntues on the Windhoff MPV on the painting front.

i now have some acrylic paints and these are drying quite nicely. I have the decals ready to go on as soon as enough of the paintwork is done.

Also moving along quite nicely is the BMTHTrains NR rail grinder. Some of the decals are now on with the rest to go on in the next day or so.

Hopefully the Tomytec chassis will turn uo in time to have this running at the weekend awell as the MPV.

More photos to follow soon.

Ian