MRJ 212

Re6/6

• RMweb Gold

Just arrived. Looks a good one this time.

Editor: Barry Norman

More thoughts about Yaxbury. Jas Millham's well known S scale layout.

Drilling out axleboxes on RTR wagons. Looks a useful new approach.

Loco axle jig

A North Devon gravel barge. Gordon Gravett (say no more!)

7mm GWR auto trailer

7mm GWR brake van

Cleaning up etched parts

Marlesford Station (Suffolk). A very nice station building model

Weathering a Gauge3 wagon by Paul Cook (Cookie)

Highbury Colliery in 2mm f/s by our very own Jerry Clifford (Queensquare)

A quintet of 4mm BR brake vans

+ the usual regular items.

My copy has just arrived and I agree with Re6/6 that it looks a good issue.

It is always a pleasure to read the writings of Jas Millham, who, although he might be reluctant to admit it, is one of the reat thinkers outside the box and the article by Laurie Griffin on cleaning up etched parts looks to be essential to all who use this key technology.

Chris

An excellent issue & serves to remind me just why I stopped buying all the others that I used to get every month! Inspirational modelling and lucid articles.

Another advantage of RMWeb is that I now scan the reviews of all the other mags and just buy (rarely) those with something of interest to me.

Peter

• RMweb Gold

Having looked at it more thoroughly, it's a cracker this month.

The particular 'good news' for me comes in a short article about a drilling out device for the fitting of pinpoint bearings in RTR wagons which will be available from Alan Gibson later in the spring. This will be brilliant for this tricky task. I've lost count of the number of plastic axleboxes that I've ruined by either melting-in the bearing or attempting to drill the holes out!

• RMweb Gold

It does look a nifty device, but did you know that Ultrascale make a little thumb-and-finger drill for 26mm pinpoints in plastic sideframes? What's more it's FREE with any order. Probably not as accurate as this new one though.

http://www.ultrascal....uk/mis0001.php

I don't have the 'drill' that your refer but I do (I believe) have a similar device, however (perhaps someone can clarify?) this sounds like a method of drilling out the axle boxes to accept pin point bearings - which would be very handy.

The whole issue sounds interesting and useful, coming from an '00' bodgerlike me is testament to the value and broad appeal of the publication

Picked up my copy at Smiffs and it is a very good issue. Well done all.

I don't know how the news had escaped me but I was very sad to hear via the editorial of the death of Mike Cook, exhibition manager of York Model Railway Show. I'm only a periodic purchaser of any of the monthlies so I had not heard. RIP and thanks Mike.

Looking forward to picking up a copy when I go into Birmingham tomorrow. I've just finished reading Peter Paye's book on the Framlingham branch, and had thought that the stations at Marlesford and Parham would make good examples to model. Fairly grand buildings at small (short) stations, so not much, if any, contraction needed. Looks like I've been beaten to it though. :no: It will be very interesting to see how it's been done.

Cheers,

Gareth

Picked up my copy at Smiffs and it is a very good issue. Well done all.

I don't know how the news had escaped me but I was very sad to hear via the editorial of the death of Mike Cook, exhibition manager of York Model Railway Show. I'm only a periodic purchaser of any of the monthlies so I had not heard. RIP and thanks Mike.

Not wanting to take this thread OT but there is another thread here you may be interested in Mike.

Just arrived. Looks a good one this time.

Yes, an excellent issue of MRJ this month: 2mmFS 'Highbury' and 'Fencehouses' from Jerry Clifford and Bob Jones; S scale 'Yaxbury' from the inimitable Jas Millham; another Gordon Gravett scenic masterclass; and three good 7mm critiques from Barry Norman. Oooo my finescale cup runneth over!

Of course, no wonder... this issue is edited by Barry Norman, always an indicator of inspirational things to come. :)

Phil

Has anyone noticed the spelling mistake on the cover, or are we not mentioning it? ;)

What's an S either way between friends?

About time the old GER got it's fair share of attention.

I like the summary regarding 30 hours work being worth it or not on the brake van.

Not a comment you see very often and it does put things into perspective with the options now available from Hornbach.

Bernard

Enjoyed the Yaxbury article this layout does not stand still ,like the attention to detail and the way real life is used to expand the layout.The glimpse of two chimneys is a brilliant example of station building and its nice to see the GER getting a show.

Everything featured in MRJ is so far out of my league it might as well be written in Greek.

I'm glad it isn't, though - I bought the last issue whilst waiting for a delayed train, and off the back of it, bought this one. So glad I did, it really is a fantastic issue with some truly inspirational and aspirational modelling on show. Might even give the Gordon Gravett method for making a Gravel barge a go at some point...

Everything featured in MRJ is so far out of my league it might as well be written in Greek.

I'm glad it isn't, though - I bought the last issue whilst waiting for a delayed train, and off the back of it, bought this one. So glad I did, it really is a fantastic issue with some truly inspirational and aspirational modelling on show. Might even give the Gordon Gravett method for making a Gravel barge a go at some point...

I think this sums up MRJ perfectly and it is why I am a long term subscriber.

Personally, I don't want to read about what I can (or think I can !!) do, I want to be inspired to go further, try new methods, learn from modellers with a lot more skill and ability than I have how they work out construction and operation problems.

As with all regular publications, some issues are better than others, but overall MRJ does that for me

regards

Stewart

Its worth noting the wrong split axleboxes were used on the 4mm brake vans, they were heavy duty journal type as used on 20ton plus vehicles. The correct BR split box is available from the EMGS and is cast from a much more detailed master than the poor MSE boxes too.

I did like the station building in this issue though.

Archived