3D Printed Warwell... R&R 45t Crane, ICI Hopper, Biomass & others

Hello Everyone,

Just a quick note to say that the first print of the Ride- Control bogies for the FFA/ FGA flats have arrived and seem to have worked quite well. They do accept bearings and 10mm Romford axles, the quality of the print is on a par with the last FUD item I had printed so it appears Shapeways may have overcome so of the problems experienced previously. I have noted a small error in the design, but this will be rectified before production. Apologies for the poor photo quality, but they are from my mobile phone.

post-13109-0-17306600-1359752172_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-15260400-1359752185_thumb.jpg

I have also included some renders of the FFA/FGA chassis design, but I am still struggling with the plans for this as I discovered part way through that they were not totally to scale.

post-13109-0-04745900-1359752220_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-53386300-1359752223_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell 

• Like 3

Hello Everybody,

Just a quick update,

I have been updating and improving the file for the PFA container flat (MOD version), the changes include the axle boxes being spaced further apart to allow bearings to be fitted (Measurements taken from the Cordon and Ride control prints), as well as more detail around the axle boxes and some basic brake gear added. I have also added NEM coupling pockets to the design. There as still changes to be made but I think its getting there, but I you can spot anything that's missing or needs changing please let me know. 

Here are some renders.

post-13109-0-44273400-1360277349_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-81691700-1360277353_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-71471200-1360277356_thumb.jpg

When this is ready I will order it with the updated Parrot cable layers and Cordon.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 1

Hello Everyone,

This week has seen a fair variety of work on different projects ranging from a GWR Cordon and LMS/ MR 20T Brake van, to the PFA flat and a PXA bogie box.

The Cordon and PFA were modifications to existing designs, and a final prototype for each has now been ordered which is due in early March. The 20T Brake is a Laser cutting experiment that I have yet to have cut. (I designed it and then realised that Bachmann announced the same design a year ago!). The PXA is still to be completed, as it awaits buffers bogies (Unless I can find a kit of them) and other details, especially to the underside of the wagon. I am going to add plastic card sides to the wagon to cut down the cost of printing else it is going to be very expensive. I have done the design to represent the Sheerness Steel wagons PR3001-7, as these are all similar in design and any variations  (such as end details) can be added from plastic card too.

Here's some renders.

post-13109-0-81318200-1360967976_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-82870700-1360967981_thumb.jpg

Please share your opinions on the design.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Hello Everyone,

This week has seen a fair variety of work on different projects ranging from a GWR Cordon and LMS/ MR 20T Brake van, to the PFA flat and a PXA bogie box.

The Cordon and PFA were modifications to existing designs, and a final prototype for each has now been ordered which is due in early March. The 20T Brake is a Laser cutting experiment that I have yet to have cut. (I designed it and then realised that Bachmann announced the same design a year ago!). The PXA is still to be completed, as it awaits buffers bogies (Unless I can find a kit of them) and other details, especially to the underside of the wagon. I am going to add plastic card sides to the wagon to cut down the cost of printing else it is going to be very expensive. I have done the design to represent the Sheerness Steel wagons PR3001-7, as these are all similar in design and any variations  (such as end details) can be added from plastic card too.

Here's some renders.

Please share your opinions on the design.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

From what I can see it captures the styling of the sides and end, however the battens on the floor I feel would have been removed prior to conversion.

Will it be available as the origial bogie bolster and as PR3000 the low height original?

Mark Saunders

From what I can see it captures the styling of the sides and end, however the battens on the floor I feel would have been removed prior to conversion.

Will it be available as the origial bogie bolster and as PR3000 the low height original?

Mark Saunders

The floor battens remained after conversion and support the new floor.

The triangular fillets on the uprights are not required.

Looks good though

Hello Everyone,

Firstly thanks for your replies,

Ian, I had not spotted those so thanks for bringing them to my attention, I shall have to investigate as I have still not got around to numbering my warwells even though it was nearly a year ago I had them printed.

Mark and Southernman, thanks for your comments, I too would have thought the battens would have been removed, but fortunately the photos on Paul Bartlett's site show them still being present, It actually appears that after conversion two extra battens were added at the ends of the wagon. The plan is to make the 3001-7 variant to begin with and then if funds allow order the pre conversion wagons I believe this would cover all 3000-3007. As for 3000 in its later form, this may have to wait as the project is proving to be probably my most expensive to date. Thanks for spotting the error with the fillets these have now been removed (as per image below).

post-13109-0-26134900-1361054731_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-11715500-1361054748_thumb.jpg

On the bogie front, I am having some issues trying to get it looking right. I still have alot of work to do on the design of them, but I am beginning to wonder whether to opt for the Colin Craig MK2's instead. Though I have never built metal kits before so would prefer to stick with FUD bogies.

post-13109-0-01541900-1361054932_thumb.jpg

I have also drawn up the buffers and the tie down straps (for the flats) which will be printed in FUD along with any other smaller details I can think of, If I print the bogies I will put these in the same file as the buffers.

post-13109-0-46318600-1361054935_thumb.jpg

Thanks again everyone.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 1

Hello Everybody,

Just a quick update,

I have been updating and improving the file for the PFA container flat (MOD version), the changes include the axle boxes being spaced further apart to allow bearings to be fitted (Measurements taken from the Cordon and Ride control prints), as well as more detail around the axle boxes and some basic brake gear added. I have also added NEM coupling pockets to the design. There as still changes to be made but I think its getting there, but I you can spot anything that's missing or needs changing please let me know. 

Here are some renders.

attachicon.gifPFA 118.jpg

attachicon.gifPFA 1181.jpg

attachicon.gifPFA 1182.jpg

When this is ready I will order it with the updated Parrot cable layers and Cordon.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Can I offer a suggestion here, 

The face of the headstock is not square, and the solebars do not meet the ends flush. see here for more detail

http://allanjenks.smugmug.com/Other/Wagon-Photos/18710228_Jt3tkx#!i=1581605492&k=ZgcpKBP&lb=1&s=A

Don't know if this is as you planned or a limitation on the printing process.

Rgds

Mark

Hello Mark,

Thanks for spotting that,

I couldn't managed to fit the slight lip around the sides of the headstock's due to wall thickness limitations, I could have probably changed the solebars to make them stick out slightly further to show what you mean, but unfortunately I didn't pick up on that and the latest prototype is now in production.

Thanks anyway,

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Hello Everyone,

Unfortunately, not much to report on previous projects at the minute, Hopefully the latest Parrot cable layers (2 and 3 Spindle wagons) as well as the Cordon and PFA should arrive next week. However I have started work on an updated WW2 Warwell, the plan is to use the old drawing as a basis for an improved drawing with hopefully more detail. I am trying to add the deck grip plates and maybe a representation of the lashing loops on the sides. The plan is to also fit NEM coupler pockets and any other details I can find info on. What would be very useful is some information on the well itself, as I am still not sure about the hole in the centre of the wagon, does anyone know of clear photos of this area. I believe I am not the only one interested in this information as a new printed N gauge warwell is on the cards (not by myself). 

Here's what I have so far,

post-13109-0-61025300-1361904038_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-20264700-1361904042_thumb.jpg

Also at the design stage is a Lowmac MU, but there is still a fair bit of work to do on that first.

post-13109-0-54360300-1361904127_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Hello Everyone,

This evening I have managed to get some more work done on the FFA/FGA after figuring out all the measurements and plans I have found. I have yet to add any small details or locking equipment as well as brake gear, but the chassis is complete as far as I can see in terms of main components. Instead of splitting this model up like the parrot, for added strength and ease of drawing/ assembly, the model is intended to be printed as a single component. I also intend to print the wagon in Polyamide with the buffers and smaller details, with the bogies in FUD.

Here are some renders, 

FGA

post-13109-0-01275000-1362089704_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-52645500-1362089707_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-01004200-1362089714_thumb.jpg

FFA

post-13109-0-28345000-1362089732_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-45587000-1362089736_thumb.jpg

Now to the tricky part of getting the containers to locate in the correct places, hopefully I can design it to take the plastic clips that Bachmann supply. Does anyone know if C-Rail use the same pins?

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 1

C-Rails containers do fit onto the Bachman Pins (they also fit onto the Dapol Pins)

Ian B

<snip>Now to the tricky part of getting the containers to locate in the correct places, hopefully I can design it to take the plastic clips that Bachmann supply. Does anyone know if C-Rail use the same pins?

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 1

Hello, 

Thanks both of you for your replies,

I am now trying to get these wagons to negotiate a 2nd radius curve, it looks like its going to be tight as the sloping part of the frames will foul the axles after about 7 degrees from what I can see. I may get a test print done to work out how to modify it to get around without ruining the appearance.

Any suggestions?

I am also slowly getting there with the gripping plates on the Warwell. Certainly not one of the quickest jobs I have done.

post-13109-0-87360000-1362172452_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Here are some pictures of one of your original Warwell wagons, as you can see very much a work in progress,I am bringing up to 1970s period with timber deck and additional plating using overlays of plasticard and with an Airfix Bedford 4 tonner with Kingfisher Models open back as a load.

There are some good reference photos on Paul Bartletts wagon site http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/warwell/h20a58054#h20a58054

">http://DSCF5805_zps26742229.jpg

">http://DSCF5807_zps08658b3d.jpg

">http://DSCF5788_zps07c84c01.jpg

• Like 2

Hello Everyone,

Firstly, thanks Paul, their great photos and should help with the design work considerably. I don't think I will be including all the clutter though.

Secondly, Cheers Bubbles2 for your photos, I think these are the first proper photos I have seen of one of my warwells that I don't own! The planking detail and extra plates are useful reference so thanks for uploading them. You've done a great job of detailing it and have put my own to shame! Best of luck with the rest of the build. That reminds me I must finish my Airfix Bedford too.

Finally I now have a set of Cambrian diamond frames so I will see if I can make the new warwells compatible with both, or advise how to convert them to accept them.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell 

More news on another CAD but not printed wagon soon!

Hello Everyone,

My latest prints have just arrived from I.materialise and I must say I am fairly proud of them. Thought there is nothing completely new, these have had any errors removed and the prints are very crisp.

These are the;

Parrot Cable layer 2 Spindle,

Parrot Cable layer 3 Spindle,

GWR CORDON gas tank wagon,

and finally the updated PFA container flat.

Both the Cordon and PFA now feature NEM pockets which work well.

The Cordon doesn't require bearings as it runs freely on pinpoints, but axle boxes can be drilled deeper to fit them if necessary. The PFA now accepts bearings and 10.5mm axles and is extremely free running (even finding the slope in my desk!).

As a result I have now put all 4 items up on my website and I.materialises store front for sale.

Heres some photos

post-13109-0-76186600-1362518605_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-41439500-1362518686_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-62912500-1362518638_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-71311800-1362518750_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-83247000-1362518787_thumb.jpg

Enjoy,

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 2

Some competition from Bachmann this am

WD Warflat

38-725 Warflat Bogie Flat Wagon WD Khaki Drab Livery with Tank TBA

38-726 Warflat Bogie Flat Wagon WD Bronze Green with Tank TBA

38-727 Warflat Bogie Flat Wagon BR Grey TBA

Perhaps N to follow??

• Like 1

Hello,

Yes I had been expecting a Warflat or Warwell to be announced especially after the polls last year where I think the Warflat was top in the BR wagons. If it sells well which I hope it does then I think we can probably expect a Warwell and maybe even a ramp wagon the year after. I hope Bachmann do a good job, if so I may replace my printed one.

My suspicion is that Bachmann may have already measured up a Warflat at the GCR's Quorn yard, as they had dug out a warflat (see photos) when I visited one time and wasn't there the next time.

I'm now desperately trying to find photos of a Stanier mogul hauling a rake of Warflats in Cumbria! 

post-13109-0-99785400-1362933809_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-35009600-1362933770_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Depends on which tank. It could put it in the toy market...And it is highly unlikely they will do the ramp wagon.

The Warwell does look interesting. For bogies I have used US 0n30 arch bar trucks which come close on an a Genesis models version.

There are no RTR pe-BR Lowmac's out there that I konw of.

Edited by autocoach

Matthew has given me permission to announce a few items via this thread.

The GWR Cordon was instigated by myself and will be released in N gauge under the County Rolling Stock brand. I am hopeful of a May release of this kit at Bristol show.

Matthew has also offered me other wagons in his range in N gauge, the first to be released at TINGS will be the Parrot which I have just ordered a second test print of.

Matthew is also working on some other projects for me which I will announce later under my own thread.

• Like 1

Hello Everyone,

This evening I have managed to get some more work done on the FFA/FGA after figuring out all the measurements and plans I have found. I have yet to add any small details or locking equipment as well as brake gear, but the chassis is complete as far as I can see in terms of main components. Instead of splitting this model up like the parrot, for added strength and ease of drawing/ assembly, the model is intended to be printed as a single component. I also intend to print the wagon in Polyamide with the buffers and smaller details, with the bogies in FUD.

Here are some renders, 

FGA

attachicon.gifCHAS FGA 005.jpg

attachicon.gifCHAS FGA 0051.jpg

attachicon.gifCHAS FGA 0052.jpg

FFA

attachicon.gifCHAS FFA 002.jpg

attachicon.gifCHAS FFA 003.jpg

Now to the tricky part of getting the containers to locate in the correct places, hopefully I can design it to take the plastic clips that Bachmann supply. Does anyone know if C-Rail use the same pins?

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Hi Wild Boar

Not sure if you realise but the transverse struts are not in line from one side of the wagon to the other, they are stagered. See this photo of an FGA 601342 on Martin Reids excellent smug mug site.

http://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/UKRailRollingstock/F/FFA-FGA-Freightliner-flats/16329502_HS8Zvc#!i=1227417343&k=sdD7rsD&lb=1&s=A

Regards

Mike

Hi Wild Boar

Not sure if you realise but the transverse struts are not in line from one side of the wagon to the other, they are stagered. See this photo of an FGA 601342 on Martin Reids excellent smug mug site.

http://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/UKRailRollingstock/F/FFA-FGA-Freightliner-flats/16329502_HS8Zvc#!i=1227417343&k=sdD7rsD&lb=1&s=A

Regards

Mike

Hello Mike,

Thanks for that, I hadn't spotted that, yes it appear that the centre piece is offset slightly. Some excellent photos on there, not a site I have seen before.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell