3D Printed Warwell... R&R 45t Crane, ICI Hopper, Biomass & others

Hello Everyone,

Yesterday I managed to get some more progress done on the Gloucester MK2 bogies for the PXA boxes, I am now much happier with the shape of these. I still dont think they are exact but I think it is as close as I will get.

Here are some render,

post-13109-0-78972600-1362950880_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-12623900-1362950886_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-19701200-1362950891_thumb.jpg

I hope to order these in the next few days. I also have drawn up a multi pack of 4 pair with 4 wagons worth of buffers and tie down strap holders for those wanting multiple wagons. This will be in FUD, with the body in polyamide.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 1

Hello Everyone,

Today I have started work on a new wagon project,

The chassis should allow me to model two different wagons, and the body of one should help me design another similar wagon with a different chassis. Here's some photos of the chassis, but can anyone tell me which wagons I am drawing? Answers on the back of a postcard....

post-13109-0-09323500-1363632182_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-69410500-1363632183_thumb.jpg

On the other wagons front, now that I have some funds available I will order the following (if not some others too)

Ramp Wagons Diorama (Finally!) 

Gloucester MK2's with buffers for PXA Sheerness.

PXA Sheerness wagon body/ chassis later 3001-7 version box.

GPS 25 wagon bogies.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 1

Hello Everyone,

No guesses? 

Here's another clue showing how far I have now got, still plenty of work to do, but those stantions have eaten a lot of drawing time.

The sides will be made of 30 thou plastic card to keep the cost down (relatively). Once the design is done, I will then back date it to its origonal form.

post-13109-0-45543300-1363798459_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 1

Hello Everyone,

No guesses? 

Here's another clue showing how far I have now got, still plenty of work to do, but those stantions have eaten a lot of drawing time.

The sides will be made of 30 thou plastic card to keep the cost down (relatively). Once the design is done, I will then back date it to its origonal form.

attachicon.gifPXA PD 039.jpg

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

Is it one of the bogie opens used by Allied Steel and Wire (JNA?) I'm trying to remember what they were converted from.

These were the Powell Duffryn coil hoods, which seem to appear in all sorts of places currently including Dove Holes about a year ago and more recently in to Ferrybridge powerstation with desulpho gypsum for the Lafarge plasterboard works!

They no longer have the GPS bogies but have ESC1's on them.

Some have been reduced to flats and are in internal use at Tata Scunthorpe and another at T J Thompsoms Stockton.

Mark Saunders

• Like 1

These were the Powell Duffryn coil hoods, which seem to appear in all sorts of places currently including Dove Holes about a year ago and more recently in to Ferrybridge powerstation with desulpho gypsum for the Lafarge plasterboard works!

They no longer have the GPS bogies but have ESC1's on them.

Some have been reduced to flats and are in internal use at Tata Scunthorpe and another at T J Thompsoms Stockton.

Mark Saunders

Thanks for that, Mark; I knew someone would know..

Hello,

Well done, they are the JXA steel bogie boxes, which I plan to modify to create the Powell Duffryn PXA hoods, 

Thanks Mark I hadn't realised they had swapped bogies (are these not the JNA's based on old tank chassis?) as I have only seen photos with the GPS's.

I am planning to bring the JNA's out after the JXA's.

Here is another update.

post-13109-0-67141500-1363817460_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-18600100-1363817465_thumb.jpg

(Sides added for illustration only)

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 2

Hello Everyone,

No problems Mark, the bodies of the two look almost identical from what I can see,

Of the photos that I have seen, the most recently taken on was 2001 in 'Dutch' livery, however GE Rail Services still list these wagons on their website so they could still be around. Today I have also got some more work done on the JXA so here are the latest Renders.

post-13109-0-18454300-1363971833_thumb.jpg

post-13109-0-25872900-1363971839_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 1

Hello Paul, 

Glad to hear they have arrived, and good luck with the build.

Everyone,

I have not made much progress recently due to other commitments, but I am hoping to prototype the Sheerness PXA and the Powell Duffryn JXA soon as well as an updated MOD container (which will have holes for Bachmann locking bars) shortly. In the meantime I have been planning other projects, possible subjects include Lowmacs, Flatrols and Weltrols, I am also considering re starting the Modern Rectank project as all I need to buy are the Cambrian bogies before I can complete it. There is of course also the FFA and FGA flats which I am still slowly working on and the 'Retooled' warwells. The JNA opens and 20ft Binliner containers are also posiblilties.

However a project that I have had suggested to me is a direct replacement body shell for a Bachmann 4-CEP to allow a BEP to be created, I have done some quick costings and while expensive (by my standards anyway) it still looks feasable, I am currently working out which parts can be recycled from the Bachmann bodyshell such as the roof and possibly the ends so It is cheaper to produce. Please could anyone let me know If they would be interested in the project or know which parts of the CEP are seperate items.

Hope this is of interest,

(Normal service will resume shortly)

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell 

• Like 1

Hello,

Thanks both of you for your comments, 

Firstly Darren, though I cannot confirm anything yet, there is a possibility it may be scaled down to N along with some of the other Air Braked stock that I do,

Cheesy, Thanks for that, do you happen to have a rough idea of when, as I have all bar 1 issue of Model Rail since Mid 2005 and don't remember the article (I can guess which one it probably was in though)?

Everyone, just a quick note to say that the prototypes of the PXA and JXA's are on order, the bogies will follow shortly (When the bank recovers!)

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 1

IIRC there was a article in model rail a few years ago about modeling the containers used on binliners. Dimentions cant be too dificult due to being standard 20ft iso based.

You would think, but because of the need to make lots of them the author significantly simplified the design, my master for resin casting had over 200 bits of plasticard cut.

Jon

• Like 1

Hello again everyone,

Wow Jon, that must have taken a fair while to do, how did you manage to cast the frame work around it, or was that a separate casting? I have a few photos and a basic plans, but no exact measurements yet.

Simon, Thanks for your interest too, however as I said before I cannot confirm anything at this moment in time.

Finally, does anyone have any knowledge of the 4-BEP units, especially their buffets as this is another project I am looking into, I have got the Weighting diagrams and some sketches from an old Model Railway Constructor (Oct 1961 if anyone's interested), but If anyone has some decent measurements and side on/ detail shots them I would be very interested in seeing them. 

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 1

Hello Everyone,

After being reminded to do them, I have created the instructions for my cable laying parrots (both variants)

I will attached them to my website soon, but here they are if you require them.

instruction parrot cable 2.pdf

instruction parrot cable 3.pdf

When I get chance I will finish the remaining instructions and post them on here, however it may be a while as I have been fairly busy recently.

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell

• Like 1

Hello again,

Tonight I have managed to design the new 20ft Side loading container, which features holes for the Bachmann locking bars to drop into (in theory!) and some other mods, this container will fit on both ends of the Hornby KFA flat but its pins will need removing it it is going to fit the centre space. Anyway here is a render. Just ordered however are the bogies and buffers for the PXA (Sheerness) and JXA/PXA (Hooded coil/ scrap rebuild). If all goes well they should arrive with the bodies at the end of this month. After that I shall complete any mods to them and order the production run (as I will be getting a rake of these myself). Then onwards to the next challenges!   

post-13109-0-23677600-1366319016_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Wild Boar Fell