On Cairns Road Workbench - a Colas Class 37 and some 20s

Here is another update with the latest locos off the production line! I am now ready to start the Northern units, which will be next up!

Here first is a second attempt at 67018 - happier with this one!

post-7239-12659251775219_thumb.jpg

Secondly, had a go at 31452 in DCR livery:

post-7239-12659252882348_thumb.jpg

Thirdly, a transformation of a Vitrains 47 into 47714 in Anglia colours. Pleased with this one - the Vitrains locos look really good when you repaint them i think!

post-7239-12659253028288_thumb.jpg

Finally, and my favourite, 37409! This model benefits from various extra details from the Shawplan stable including the front window frames, and an adapted Class 20 multiple working socket. it also has durbar plating on the side doors as per the prototype, and one window filled in. I noticed this feature of the loco once it was painted but thankfully before I applied the transfers so was able to rectify it!

post-7239-1265925318808_thumb.jpg

Let me know what you think!

Cheers,

Andi.

• RMweb Premium

Secondly, had a go at 31452 in DCR livery:

post-7239-12659252882348_thumb.jpg

Hi Andi,

Looking good.

Presumably you've used Precision Labels transfers - what green have you used? I have a Fragon 31452 waiting for transformation.

Cheers,

Mick

Hi Andi,

Great work as always - 37 409 looks very good but I am a bit biasd towards anything DRS! Your 31 in green looks spot on in both colour used and the transfers you have for it! I am looking forawrd to seeing your Northern units - I am hoping Bachmann will do the 150 in this livery soon for running on Morecambe. Very nice model by Mick as well which was good to see on here.

Thanks,

Mark

I am looking forawrd to seeing your Northern units - I am hoping Bachmann will do the 150 in this livery soon for running on Morecambe. Very nice model by Mick as well which was good to see on here.

Me too! on both accounts! Let me know how you mix the pink/purple colour.

I've this P4'd Pacer to respray when it gets a bit warmer, and I'd also like a Northern 150/1 (although if Bachmann don't do one then I'll probably attempt a respray at some point).

• 3 weeks later...

cracking work on 37409 Andi ;) looks fab!! the real thing hasn't even left Barrow Hill yet!! :lol: u work fast B)

one tiny thing though :P it has white lamp brackets aswell just incase you missed that :lol:

Glad they kept the original style lights and not butchered it with WIPACS like 37423!!

• 3 weeks later...

Right, after lots of cursing, swearing, more swearing, cursing and more swearing - oh, and endless masking! The Northern units are finished!! Hurrah!! Here they are. Firstly 142038:

post-7239-126929179357_thumb.jpg

post-7239-126929185936_thumb.jpg

post-7239-126929188747_thumb.jpg

And now 150225:

post-7239-12692919135_thumb.jpg

post-7239-126929193729_thumb.jpg

post-7239-12692919644_thumb.jpg

post-7239-126929198374_thumb.jpg

I would like to say that I am satisfied with them - but frankly I'm just glad they are done!

Also managed to do a quick repaint of 47535 into 47522 - and yes i cheated and just painted the bodysides! Lazy I know!

post-7239-126929205133_thumb.jpg

Comments welcome.

Cheers,

Andi.

Hi Andy

522 is very convincing. Nice one! It just needs dirtyfying now!

What buffer beam pipes do you use? The air pipes I use are slightly too thin looking (and its bugging me) but yours look spot on!

Hi Andy

522 is very convincing. Nice one! It just needs dirtyfying now!

What buffer beam pipes do you use? The air pipes I use are slightly too thin looking (and its bugging me) but yours look spot on!

Yes I agree - but its owner prefers em clean!

The pipes I use are Vitrains ones - in my opinion the best on the market. Plus you get loads with each model you buy!

Cheers,

Andi.

Hi Andi,

I had seen those Northern units on your website - they do look very good but looking at all those seperate lines I can see how much masking was involved and not easy shapes either but very well done indeed! 522 also looks very good but I never saw the real loco in this livery at the time only photos and it was never as clean as that! Still nice for a works open day display. I am looking forward to seeing your 86's I see from the Heljan thread you have got hold of one already! I am hoping to get one as a 30th present for myself next month as I want to see them first but the freightliner one looks good to me and I could really do with 2 of them for the future!

Keep up the good work as always!

Thanks,

Mark

Indeed ..... the 86s have now multiplied, I now have 3! Will be doing work on them shortly. The predictable 86701, and my personal favourite 86501 will be first up! However, I am currently working on some very Scottish 37s, some that would fit in very nicely on your layout Mark, and some that would fit a bit further north!

Cheers,

Andi.

Hi Andi,

Those 37's sound interesting! Thats even more to look forward to seeing from your workbench, I'd better get my track fully wired up so you can bring them up here for a play! I have an old lima model of 37251 in Intercity swallow livery like you did a while back which I ran the other day just to see what the older liveries would look like on my model. 37 670 arrived today so I have another up to date 37 to run on some highland frieghts! Maybe being dragged by a 66 might be more appropriate. I wonder if I can get away with a flask train when the FNA's come out to put behind all those DRS 37's.

Thanks,

Mark

• 1 month later...

Ok folks, my long outstanding O Gauge Heljan Class 20's finally arrived from the Cairnsroadworks depot this weekend!

They are modelled on old Warrington/Wigan coal sector pair 20016+20081, the base photos I have Andi were the condition that they were running in at the end in 1992 and early 1993. I have loads of pictures on this pairing during that period, and I have Andi quite a few sample pictures to work on, suffice it to say he has done me proud (as always!). Anyway ive not had time to take any pictures yet but Andi's work on the O Gauge Class 20's 20016+20081 can be seen on the usual link:

http://cairnsroadworks.wordpress.com/

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to Dave for posting the pics of the 20s. I enjoyed working on them and found the bigger scale a real challenge, but I'm pleased with the results on the 20s.

Back to more familiar territory this week, here is 37602 modelled from REX 37502, and destined for Rannoch Moor.....

post-7239-127348479502_thumb.jpg

post-7239-12734848187_thumb.jpg

Also done work on a Heljan 86, seen here:

post-7239-127348485694_thumb.jpg

Done a bit of work on this one, including moving the fire extinguisher and removing the moulded TDM cables. 501 doesn't have TDM now for some reason.

Cheers,

Andi.

Doesn't appear to be anyone reading this anymore, so maybe its time to terminate my thread. It is a shame the old RM Web was amended as it seems as though it was much more popular than this version. Hey ho, the price of progress.

Anyway, I digress. Here is a model I have been working on for some time which has been sat in an unassembled state since Christmas. Well I had a spare hour, so thought I'd clear some space on my shelf and get it finished. It is still lacking air pipes, as I have run out. A real hybrid this - A combination of 2 Bachmann 47s and a Bachmann 57. I have taken the flush bufferbeams complete with ETH cabling from 57602, then the bogies from a rail blue 47, the sound chip from 47404, and the body from 47474! Anyway its finished as Colas 47739. And I know it would have been a lot easier just to get the vitrains model, but i'm not convinced by them, and anyway where's the fun in that?!

Here are the shots....

post-7239-127359031434_thumb.jpg

The other side:

post-7239-127359033935_thumb.jpg

And the front, showing the 57 bits and the new buffers:

post-7239-127359037398_thumb.jpg

There you go.

Andi.

Hi Andi,

I've been dropping in and out of this thread - a silent viewer. Some really inspirational stuff as ever - 86501 is tempting me to have a go at a Dapol, even though I don't model AC overheads and ain't likely to with mid 2000s south west England!

That Colas duff has got me thinking about having a bash in N using a Bachy 47474. I'd never have though of the canibalising route, but it does make sense, especially if they can be picked up cheap...tongue.gif Colas livery is really growing on me, and they are such versatile locos

cheers

jo

Another silent viewer here. I find your posts very inspiring so please don't terminate the thread! I own 50135 Ark Royal in LoadHaul livery which I believe is your work and which I am very impressed with. I just can't believe the rate at which you produce such good quality results!

Archived