Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Best and Worst of RMWeb

Best thing: Watching RMW move from being a small enterprise that challenged the status quo of text-only corporate forums to this game-changing multi-media behemoth that that not only has traders and the established model railway media onside, but genuinely moves the hobby forwards on so many levels.

Worst thing: 1. The rampant parsnipsim which has somehow infiltrated the site for the last half-decade. Bring back the roulade! 2. Cliquey in-jokes; left-overs from when the membership could be counted on, erm, 80 hands or less.

Luckiest thing: Andy didn't have any hair to pull out when he kicked it off...

Biggest unanswered question: Just who was the original Fat Controller?

Did I mention cliquey in-jokes?

Remember the early days when Andy had long hair?

Best.

All the help that is freely given, the inspiration in seeing other's efforts. Member's days.

Worst.

The one or two on here that are not very diplomatic in their replies when they deem other replies wrong. It then degrades into bickering. Hey guys, lifes too short. Just walk away.

Best: Newbie modeller asks how to wire a switch; old hand tells newbie how to wire a switch.

Worst: Newbie modeller asks how to wire a switch; old hand (with the best of intentions, bless him) tells newbie he needs a microprocessor-controlled MOSFET switching module with uninteruptible power supply and wireless LAN interface. Newbie thanks old hand profusely and apologises for his lack of electrical knowledge, but reminds him that he only wants to switch an LED on and off, not control a nuclear submarine. Old hand still doesn't get it, and starts chuntering on about retina-scanning security technology, particle accelerators and artificial intelligence. At this point a third party chips in, typically a qualified electrical engineer with a genuine talent for educating novices in the subject, and tells newbie how to wire his switch. Old hand starts a debate with third party. After several days of fighting, it emerges that old hand is suffering from psychological trauma because his Blue Pullman hasn't arrived yet. Mod shuts down thread.

best : helpfulness, and a second opinion ,if you have really cocked up some one will help you!

worst: anoraks(ducks and runs) people who the media base us on (sad, lonely,nerds)

Ducks in an anorak? I'm hugely confused, I thought they were already waterproof, and if ducks really are as tight as a ducks ###### then they won't spend money on something they don't need. Perhaps if we were to remove the ducks feathers we could make some kind of ceremonial headress for Big Chief Rmweb Andy? We could then of course enjoy roast duck and orange sauce and send the bill to somebody else as a ransom demand for another can of beer or some biscuits like jaffa cakes on which you can become most overweight, overfed and possibly get stuck somewhere.

• RMweb Premium

Best: Discovering some wonderful modelling project that I would never otherwise know about. Good people willing to share a wealth of knowledge and information.

Worst: Personal attacks and people disagreeing with perfectly reasonable posts because they know better. "Experts" spouting forth in jargon that is designed to impress but just baffles.

Actually, on second thoughts, I think the moderating on here is one of the best points.

Other forums sometimes make me cringe with the backstabbing, inuendo, swearing etc. RMweb has almost a family feel to the whole set up.

Take a bow Andy and the shadowy figures of Mods 1- 6 (?) !

.......Other forums sometimes make me cringe with the backstabbing, inuendo, swearing etc. RMweb has almost a family feel to the whole set up........

I very much agree: a family feel indeed! :good:

From a personal perspective, RMweb has a really nice balance of knowledge, friendliness, kindly humour and generous skill-sharing; without the unsettling edgy-innuendo that I have experienced a`fore (elsewhere on t`internet).

Best: it really does offer modelling inspiration. I am in awe of the standards reached by some of the people on here. Staggering work. And, although I'll never achieve that, it does make me think, at least, a little more about what I am doing. It's also an interesting source of speculation, information and knowledge (particularly valuable, to me, is that of the professional railway people). Moderation is light, appropriate, good-humoured and (hardest of all) seems consistent (no, I'm not just sucking-up to the Moderators).

Worst: Trivial stuff, really. Hornby bashing seems to be a tiresomely popular new sport (often manifesting in unjustifiably extravagant praise for other manufacturers followed by a dig about "another company"). Over-developed egos in a few people sometimes lead to aggressive argumentation; in these (thankfully rare) instances they can't possibly be thinking "will my reply be perceived as helpful?" and, instead, unleash a torrent of factoids or attack straw men of their own making. Oh, and only accepting donations through PayPal means I can't contribute other than channelling an occasional Amazon order through here(when I remember, which isn't often) -- or is there a new way to bung cash? But these things in no way invalidate the brilliant stuff.

Paul

• RMweb Premium

-- or is there a new way to bung cash?

I'm sure Andy will accept folding notes in a plain envelope with no questions asked - I don't think the amounts usually donated are subject to the money laundering rules and so he shouldn't get arrested when he goes to the bank with a wheel barrow full of cash :O

Mike

BEST: Information sharing and help that is second to none.

WORST: Not much really, as it is easy to avoid areas you are uninterested in.

regards

Stewart

Edited by me to remove an unnecessary comment.

I don't understand why the "Worst" is something you are "uninterested" in? I'm not being "funny" but I've learned a lot from reading Topics that at first glance are way off line of my interests.

The Best: Is information new to you (i.e. you learn something).

The Worst: Is occasional rudeness/stupidity/arrogance.

Best, Pete.

Archived