Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Best and Worst of RMWeb

Best:

1) the friendly, helpful and insightful way in which people freely give their wisdom and support to less skilled/experienced people (such as me).

2) the fabulously inspirational layouts, blogs and other assorted posts.

3) that my standards have been raised by the two factors above.

Worst:

That my skills often fall short, but then it is my inspiration to improve that drives me to try again (and again) to get things right.

Thanks Andy and the team, RM Web is a brilliant asset to the model railway hobby.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I am absolutely gob smacked by the amount of useful information I have got from this forum regarding my current project. I could never have imagined I would get anything like the amount of useful photos, information, videos etc.

I would recommend to any member that if they are after info on a particular subject, that they create a new topic (if one isn't already in existence) as there is so much knowledge out there amongst the members.

Any bad points are far out weighed by all this .

Ian

The best is undoubtedly the conversion from mere Internet exchange to real people on real and model railways. Taunton, open days all days remembered for life I think.

The worst is the 'stab in the back' merchants who post one thing and mean another.

• RMweb Premium

Best? It has truly inspired me to attempt things I wouldn't have dreamed I could do (building etched brass kits, my own pointwork, etc).

Worst? I look at what I have done, then at what others have done, and am critical of my efforts.

Are there that many trolls on here, because I think I've only spotted about three in the years I've been browsing and posting, and one of those knew what he was on about but was a facetious ######. Maybe it's because I've spent years on mountain bike forums though; at one time, half the members of Singletrackworld had a troll account as well as their 'usual' one; the game/trick was to try and work out whose troll it was.

• RMweb Premium

Best : The freely shared knowledge, advice and inspiration of the brilliant Modellers who contribute to this Forum.

Worst : As has been highlighted by several previous contributors to this thread : folk who don't acknowledge when responses have been posted to their enquiries.

Shamefacedly raises hand in acknowledgement of guilt in this department, can't explain or excuse this behaviour, but would like to assure everyone that I truly appreciate their efforts past and (hopefully) future. I will try to improve in this respect!

John

• RMweb Gold

Rules is rules, Mods are (probably) only human, if anyone doesn't like either there are no reasons to stay,

BUT

there should always be room for reasoned debate and, if necessary, acceptance of changes to policy, protocol, and general forum behaviour and expectations.

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Best:

Layout threads. I take a great vicarious pleasure in watching other peoples' layout threads and thank them all for posting. Not just inspirational, but also good to see that so many people are having so much fun with their trains.

And just having RM Web there. Always good to browse recent threads in a spare 5 minutes.

Worst

Blogs. Sorry, I just don't seem to "get" them, and I have tried. Much prefer layout threads that I can get via simple "view new content" one click.

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Premium

Maybe the last few pages, including a whiff of "controversy", sum up the real strength of RMweb: the general level of TOLERANCE.

14000+ members can't all agree, but when there is any sign of potential aggro, it all gets sorted in a calm, professional way.....

And then we can all get back to soaking up the Gigabytes of help and inspiration.

Quite simply, this is the best internet forum (by a long way) I've ever joined.

Jeff

Yep . Andy Y just boots you out . :O

Whilst that can happen in extreme or repeated cases, it is quite rare (but necessary when it does happen). There are several degrees of action available before that option is taken.

• RMweb Gold

There are several degrees of action available before that option is taken.

I think I've spotted the pattern. Start off with the cute robot, then the cat, then the bear, then the dragon....then (shudder) Andy :O.

One or two have already mentioned needless arguments/trolling etc.....

I truly can never understand the wish to go online and 'construct' conflict; "as if life (often) isn`t difficult enough already!" :umbrage:

Personally, I come here to be inspired, awed and uplifted by the amazingly 'broad-church' which is railway modelling, sharing a pleasant environ; frequented by like-minded friends. :good:

• RMweb Premium

Whilst that can happen in extreme or repeated cases, it is quite rare (but necessary when it does happen). There are several degrees of action available before that option is taken.

Mine was a slightly tounge in cheek comment . :D

Guest Jim Read

Hello All,

Best ... The exchange of information and the willingness of other modellers to offer it sometimes without even be asked.

Worst ... The prevaricators who will do anything other than actually make something.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Maybe I should have added another "creditable" aspect of RMweb...as shown by the last ten or so comments...

Lagging just behind tolerance and fantastic inspiration is...the SENSE OF HUMOUR of this place.

I agree with Debs - even if I'm a bit fed up (just broken another b****y drill), "you lot" make me laugh and cheer me up!!

And btw, I don't think there's any truth in the rumour that Andy is the big bad wolf! Is there? :O :scratchhead:

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Crikey, sidecar - I always knew Somerset was a bit odd - I've relatives in Taunton and Wellington - but I never knew you had an entirely new Darwinian branch of evolution!!

And I agree with woodenhead. Just think of the advantages....umm...

What was that about a sense of humour being a prevalent positive on RMweb?

Jeff

Archived