Kev's 7mm Workbench (Scorpio M2 Shunter's Truck)

Kev_Lewis

Thanks for all of your kind words gents.

What was wrong with the wooden seating?

The wooden seating was a bit too square and chunky for my liking and it just wouldn't take paint. I couldn't get enamel or acrylic to give decent coverage on it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all of your kind words gents.

The wooden seating was a bit too square and chunky for my liking and it just wouldn't take paint. I couldn't get enamel or acrylic to give decent coverage on it.

Hi Kev

Can I ask how you created your hyper links at the bottom of the page e.g. My 7mm Blog etc.

Dave

Hi Kev

Can I ask how you created your hyper links at the bottom of the page e.g. My 7mm Blog etc.

Dave

I'll do my best to explain it Dave, It took me a few goes and HMTL code is not my strong point.

If you go to your profile and edit your signature.

Cut and paste the required links into the text box.

Now you may notice on the top left of the format bar at the top of the text box is what looks light a light switch.

Clicking on this toggles between displaying the code or not.

You need to edit the code so that rather than showing an abbreviation of the link eg: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/51710-kevs-7mm-workbench/?p=604213 it show a different description: My Workbench

Hope this helps.

Or a post here might find someone who can explain it better.

I'll do my best to explain it Dave, It took me a few goes and HMTL code is not my strong point.

If you go to your profile and edit your signature.

Cut and paste the required links into the text box.

Now you may notice on the top left of the format bar at the top of the text box is what looks light a light switch.

Clicking on this toggles between displaying the code or not.

You need to edit the code so that rather than showing an abbreviation of the link eg: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/51710-kevs-7mm-workbench/?p=604213 it show a different description: My Workbench

Hope this helps.

Or a post here might find someone who can explain it better.

Hi Kev

When you toggle the switch it show two sets of code! which one do I replace with my text. I think I've cracked it now thanks for your help Kev.

Dave

Hi Kev

When you toggle the switch it show two sets of code! which one do I replace with my text. I think I've cracked it now thanks for your help Kev.

Dave

Looks like you've got it sorted Dave.

Lots for me to explore!

• 1 month later...

Evening all,

There's not been a huge amount happening on my workbench of late. Just a few re-paints a bit and pieces.

However, after picking up some wheels at Reading last Saturday I decided to build the last BR period kit I have: a JLTRT BR Banana Van.

post-12902-0-88636800-1386885232_thumb.jpg

Thanks Pete.

Do you mean their Fruit D?

I sold my WEP Fruit D on eBay last month because it was going to be a bit of a faff to re-spray it GWR brown and at Reading I picked up two JLTRT Fruit D kits. So far I've only gotten around to photographing and checking the contents of one of the kits. Hopefully progress will be forthcoming over the next few days. Looking at it, the resin body and chassis should save me about eight hours work over a brass kit. I will have to see how I get on with the buffers. On the BR vans they're nigh on impossible spring because the heads are too big for the bodies and I usually force them in solid. As I'm not going keeping the Banana Van I'm not worried, but I may have to source replacements for the Fruit D. Both the BR vans and the Fruit D also have the pre cast holes/marks for the buffers too close together, so that's something else to watch out for.

the resin body and chassis should save me about eight hours work over a brass kit.

Shame, that's eight hours lost of pure achievement and satisfaction in a crisp and detailed kit for the dubious speed of gluing lumps of resin together. No contest, give me brass every time. Why was the repaint going to be so difficult, simply strip it down and start over - it is always easier the second time.

JLTRT GWR Fruit D Part 1.

I've not had chance tonight to make a start on this, so to begin with here's what you get in the kit.

Resin Castings.

post-12902-0-47312800-1386974948_thumb.jpg

Brass Castings. Including screw couplings.

post-12902-0-10862600-1386974971_thumb.jpg

Whitemetal Castings.

post-12902-0-74770000-1386974992_thumb.jpg

And of course you need to purchase wheels separately. These are nice turned wheels from Peartree Engineering: http://www.modelrailwayparts.com/

post-12902-0-05944900-1386975012_thumb.jpg

All the parts are of excellent quality and should require only the minimum of cleaning up. I'm looking forward to starting this over the weekend.

• RMweb Premium

Nice Kev! Check the buffer centres on the Fruit D, you may find they need widening - fine to do at an early stage but a bit of a pain if you get the thing painted and then find out.......

Nice Kev! Check the buffer centres on the Fruit D, you may find they need widening - fine to do at an early stage but a bit of a pain if you get the thing painted and then find out.......

Hi Tim,

Yes, I noticed the buffers were too close together when I was giving the body casting the once over. The JLTRT BR 12ton vans have the same issue, but their 8 plank open wagons don't. Very strange indeed!

Fruit D Part 2.

Today, I made a good start on the Fruit D.

I decided to start with the buffers and try to get them spaced correctly. First job was to clean up the buffer body castings, which was pretty simple and the buffer heads even fit them nicely. Very nice castings indeed.

post-12902-0-16206400-1387146704_thumb.jpg

Here's the problem I faced. The pencil marks are where the holes for the buffer castings should be.

post-12902-0-87901200-1387146723_thumb.jpg

A bit of work with a round file and the holes are in the right place.

post-12902-0-34000300-1387146743_thumb.jpg

Slight alteration was also required to the rear of the solebars to all the buffers to be sprung. Here's the before photo.

post-12902-0-41665600-1387146837_thumb.jpg

And after being attacked by a file and the dremel.

post-12902-0-23268700-1387146851_thumb.jpg

And a couple of different angles with the buffer bodies glued in place. One end of the chassis casting had two slots filed into it to allow the rear of the buffer bodies to clear the chassis for removal.

post-12902-0-15077500-1387146765_thumb.jpg

post-12902-0-23650400-1387146784_thumb.jpg

Just the door catches, roof vents and lamp brackets to add and the body is done. Ta da!

post-12902-0-70800500-1387146867_thumb.jpg

I'd better get the instructions out to see how the chassis is assembled. I've not used them yet!

Here's the problem I faced. The pencil marks are where the holes for the buffer castings should be.

Am I the only one to find that sort of large error in kit design - along with the knock on problems with the underframe, to be truly unbelievable in this kit? At a premium price this is unacceptable and the molds should have been destroyed and reworked. These kits generally have a good reputation but this kit just gives the range a bad name.

It is nice to see your resolution to the error in design, but the modeller should not have to be aware of the error and then have to resort to fixing it.

Kenton,

As I mentioned above it's also an issue with their BR 12ton vans, but not their 8 plank open. Perhaps I will have to e-mail them some of the above photo's.

But is there such a thing as a perfect kit? (Might be a good topic for a thread?)

Fruit D Part 4.

For some reason I can't add photo's to the relevant part of the post. I think this is an issue with the newly installed IE11. So I'll do my best.

The kit goes together very easily. The W irons and trusses all fit into nice slots in the cast chassis. The first photo show's these parts and the leaf springs glued in place. The axleboxes required a little fettling to get them to slide nicely in the W irons. The bearings are a nice push fit into the axleboxes and the second photo shows the wheelsets (from Peartree Engineering) dropped in.

The laser cut tie bar is then glued in place to keep the axleboxes in the w irons. This could be left off to allow the wheels to be removed before painting, but I don't mind cleaning the paint from the wheel rims.

Lastly, I also caught up the second kit to the same stage and they look quite good posed together on my test track.

post-12902-0-62210000-1387233851_thumb.jpg

post-12902-0-56481800-1387233873_thumb.jpg

post-12902-0-35008600-1387233896_thumb.jpg

post-12902-0-90987400-1387233915_thumb.jpg

Fruit D Part 5.

Tonight I have completed the under chassis detail on the Fruit D. First up was adding the big bits; dynamo, battery box and brake cylinder. All were easily located in the correct places with cast lugs.

post-12902-0-59595600-1387321408_thumb.jpg

Next the V hangers two on each side. A bit of care is required to pair them up with their respective section of bracing, but they are all marked.

post-12902-0-41311800-1387321429_thumb.jpg

post-12902-0-86660500-1387321444_thumb.jpg

Next the brake shoes/push rods. I substituted the plastic rod supplied for a piece of 1.2mm brass rod. The plastic rod is a larger diameter and I was worried opening out the holes in the cranks on the push rods so much would probably damage them. Plus the brass is a lot less likely to be damaged. I also enlarged the locating holes for the brake shoes (and the brake loops. See later) to 1.3mm and everything went together nicely.

Dynamo end.

post-12902-0-00061400-1387321462_thumb.jpg

T'other end.

post-12902-0-36655700-1387321477_thumb.jpg

And finally  the brake loops added.

post-12902-0-15416100-1387321492_thumb.jpg

Tomorrow there's all the solebar details to add, which includes all the foot steps.

But is there such a thing as a perfect kit?

Probably not in everyone's eyes. But, there should be a certain basic requirement to get all the bits and for them to fit together, to make a basically correct model. I just find such an error - presumably the holes for the buffer had to be measured and placed on the drawing - to be totally unacceptable.

For me, I just wonder how many folk have purchased these kits and built them with the belief that they were correct only to be disappointed.

Archived