Kev's 7mm Workbench (Scorpio M2 Shunter's Truck)

Kev_Lewis

The etch is for an O8, because the door aperture pockets are square (they were round on the O9s).

Upper footboards were standard 8'8" over width on both the O8s and O9s, but that is why the O8s looked so different from the fatter O9s in views other than purely 'side-on'. Lower footboards were standard 8'7" over width. I think 09s were 8'6" wide bodies?

The roof profile for an O8 is very different to an O9. For an O8, I think 23' major radius, 3' minor radius, with the minor radius centre being 1'9 1/2" from the vehicle centreline.

Hi all, yes it is indeed a diagram 08 Siphon C.

Dave,

Thanks for the offer, but I do have a copy of the HMRS book.

As I model the GWR in 1947, I will have to be careful which running number I pick, quite a few dia. 08's were scrapped around then. But several did survive into Nationalisation.

Siphon C Part 3.

Tonight I added a lot of the small detail to the first side. It is now up to a stage where I can move on to the other one. The door hinges and latches are too tiny and think for me to consider soldering and will be added at the very end with cyano.

post-12902-0-41296600-1390862502_thumb.jpg

Thanks Peter.

I did consider getting the Siphon F , but opted just purchase the C. The Siphon F may follow in the future.

Mine is an old DJB one, the kits I have built from them are pretty good. Not sure if it is really suitable for my SR layout but I like short bogie stock.

Mine is an old DJB one, the kits I have built from them are pretty good. Not sure if it is really suitable for my SR layout but I like short bogie stock.

Hello N15class, all,

one thing we as railway modellers tend to forget is that most stock worked all over the system, non-common user stock worked all over but would be returned ASAP in theory. As always we have exceptions like brake vans that were only to work between A & B.

One thing that puts me off a layout more than any thing is when the only stock (with an exception I'll come to) that you see is the owning COs. The exception is the PO wagon, you see about ten of the brightly coloured things (just about always coal wagons) stood in the yard at a small BLT that may only have one or possibly two coal merchants, the chances are that they would only get maybe two wagon loads per week and just about always from the same pit. IIRC the coal merchant would be charged while the wagon was standing with coal in it.

Rant over and the door is shut,

OzzyO. 

Guest Isambarduk

"Mine is an old DJB one, ..."

I built my Siphon F in the 1970s from a brass etch and whitemetal Metal Models kit; it's looking a bit care-worn now

GWR_Siphon_F-s.jpg

but it just needs the number touching in, I think.

David

Hello N15class, all,

one thing we as railway modellers tend to forget is that most stock worked all over the system, non-common user stock worked all over but would be returned ASAP in theory. As always we have exceptions like brake vans that were only to work between A & B.

One thing that puts me off a layout more than any thing is when the only stock (with an exception I'll come to) that you see is the owning COs. The exception is the PO wagon, you see about ten of the brightly coloured things (just about always coal wagons) stood in the yard at a small BLT that may only have one or possibly two coal merchants, the chances are that they would only get maybe two wagon loads per week and just about always from the same pit. IIRC the coal merchant would be charged while the wagon was standing with coal in it.

Rant over and the door is shut,

OzzyO.

BR were still charging for wagon rent late 60's early 70's. My father always made sure if coal came by train it was unloaded the same day. Not easy as the staithes were away from the line. So lorries could get to them.

As for the siphon F i think they were for sausage traffic in the thirties when I am modelling. So rule 1 there. I did know that only common user wagons were sent straight back. But it is always good to be reminded of things.

Mine will be a Scorpio kit, like the Siphon C. It might be interesting to compare builds.

As for the siphon F i think they were for sausage traffic in the thirties when I am modelling. So rule 1 there. I did know that only common user wagons were sent straight back. But it is always good to be reminded of things.

Siphon F's and C's were very often used for sausage traffic from the Harris Bacon factory in Calne, Wiltshire. However, the HMRS G W Siphons book only lists only two of the six Siphon F's built as being branded for sausage traffic. They were built as milk vans but were often used for other duties, such as parcels or perishables. So perhaps one could could travel to Southern metals for fruit or vegetable traffic.

I built my Siphon F in the 1970s from a brass etch and whitemetal Metal Models kit; it's looking a bit care-worn now

but it just needs the number touching in, I think.

David

A lovely model, David.

I really like the all the fittings between the bogies. Detail like that is one of the reasons I moved up to 7mm.

Siphon C Part 5.

Right, well...... things were going well until this evening. Over the last couple of days I made up the ends, which went very well. First there was a falling out between me and the microscopic parts for the end door bolts. Then there was the lamp iron holes with don't line up, resulting in two broken drill bits trying to drill them out through a double thickness of brass. In the end I realised that the end detail along the corners was likely to fall off or be damaged when I assemble the body.

So, the instructions were abandoned (usually happens at some point during a build) and I decided to make up the body. This wasn't without a problem. The sides didn't overlap the ends to hide the laminations. Out came the files and after much tedious work I was able to get them all to fit together pretty reasonably.

Here's where I am now.

post-12902-0-57956500-1391297173_thumb.jpg

Really nice work Kev.These vehicles seem to be camera shy.However I just happen to have a photo of 1487 at Tyseley in 1948 sporting a very nice shirtbutton livery. ;)

Thanks Rob.

There are lots of nice photo's of Siphon C's in HMRS Siphons book.

Don't worry this one will have a shirtbutton too.

Siphon C Part 7.

Yesterday, I completed the end detailing and the gas pipe runs. So here we have a rather unflattering daylight photo of yesterday's progress.

post-12902-0-63262400-1391551429_thumb.jpg

Then came the floor, jiggled in from below. The W irons, V hangers and a few other bit's fold down from the floor. The buffer beams are only pushed into place because I forgot to fit these at the same time.

post-12902-0-86836500-1391551447_thumb.jpg

A lower level shot. The etched centres for the Peartree Mansell wheels make it look a little bit like Pimp My Rolling Stock!

post-12902-0-95605600-1391551459_thumb.jpg

And finally a view from below. This also shows the three point compensation.

post-12902-0-55066900-1391551479_thumb.jpg

Siphon C Part 8.

I've come on leaps and bounds with the detailing of the underfame today.

The big bits go in really quickly.

post-12902-0-30315700-1391644412_thumb.jpg

But this little lot slowed things down considerably. I also used about 15 inches of 0.7mm brass wire for all the brake linkages.

post-12902-0-31233100-1391644431_thumb.jpg

Fresh from a good wash in the sink. Still some cleaning up to do. The cast brass vacuum and steam heating pipes are from Laurie Griffin.

Vacuum cylinder side.

post-12902-0-72260300-1391644443_thumb.jpg

Gas cylinder side.

post-12902-0-17192900-1391644455_thumb.jpg

Next will be the axleboxes and springs.

It's looking very nice Kev,  I do like these all metal kits. I wonder how far they strayed from home.......

Thanks Rob.

As OzzyO has said a couple of times on this thread, stock that was common user got everywhere. The Siphon C's were used extensively for sausage traffic from Harris's factory in Calne, Wiltshire.

Some of them were branded to work between Calne and:

Sheffield,

Stafford & Manchester,

Carlisle and Glasgow.

As well as many places down this neck of the woods.

So they definitely made it up your way. ;)

Archived