Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Bachmann Class 40 32-475DC and 32-480DS

GaryHN

Sorry, but I don't understand why you would want to replace the new tool 40 body with an old Lima one, seeing as Bachmann are doing all three types of nose end.

Strictly speaking there are four, for those of us modelling the Scottish.  I recognise that statistically 260-66 represent a tiny quantity, but they can't be ignored if 64B is your traction provider.  

Of course, Lima bodies might become donors for their headcode panels, although it's only part of the job.

From the Chairman of the Class 40 Preservation Society, owners and custodians of D335 (40135) and D345 (40145).

--

We will be taking stock of the NEW “ split box “ class 40 very soon.

Hopefully we can count on your support with regard to purchases of this model and other models in their range.

​Please consider purchasing your Bachmann class 40s through the CFPS, as all proceeds will be invested in keeping the originals running.

Would do if you did D335 in green with syp.

Edited by johnd

• RMweb Premium

If desperate or mad anyone could do like i have done, use a Hornby split headcode class 37 body http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/80076-junk-box-40s/?p=1273201 :declare:

Have I missed something or has the supply of GWR/BR green paint ran out again?

Edited by Clive Mortimore

For those that are interested I was informed on Friday that Bachmann are expecting the container with the 40's in Monday/Tuesday this week.

However as Bachmann are taking the usual Stock take this week ( informed by the same party ) it may be weekend or early next week before we see them arriving at the dealers.

THE WAIT IS NEARLY OVER. Sorry about the capitals.

Edited by johnd
  • Like 4

A further update from John Stephens of the Class 40 Preservation Society.

May I please repeat my earlier post and suggest people purchase them from the CFPS as all profits will be ploughed back in to keeping these marvellous machines running for posterity.

--

Thank you to everyone who has ordered (or registered their interest in purchasing) the new Bachmann model of SPLIT BOX Class 40 number 40141. 

The setting up of The CFPS account with Bachmann has now been completed.

ITEM NO.         DESCRIPTION.           FEATURES.            CFPS PRICE.     RRP.         APPROX Delivery Date.

------------          -------------------           --------------             ---------------      ------          -------------------------------

32-475DC     40141 in BR BLUE.    Has chip fitted.          £  90.00       £ 114.95      expected by 19/01/14.

32-480DS      D211  in GREEN.    WITH DCC Sound.        £ 188.40      £ 244.95      expected by 26/01/14.

32-481          D369  in GREEN.   NO chip, just socket.     £  82.80        £  95.95      expected by 20/02/14.

POST and PACKING is an additional £4.95 per model.

If you wish to have the item despatched to you, then please add £4.95 for posting and packing.

Please EMAIL your orders to sales@cfps.co.uk  OR  

Please TEXT your orders to 077 882 40088.

Payment can then be made DIRECT into The CFPS Bank Account, the details being :-

BARCLAYS BANK,  Sort Code, 20-16-08   A/c number, 10719102

Proceeds from the sale of the models will help finance the maintenance costs of our 2 x Class 40s.  

If you have requirements for other loco models, we can also supply those, but a little advance notice would

be helpful to enable us to plan deliveries.

Thanks for your interest and support everyone.

Regards

John

Edited by Holmesfeldian
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

According to a Hatton's update - 40 141 is now due between Jan and Feb 2104

100 years!

Well spotted, sir!

Seems like it's been 100 years since they announced the re-tooling!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

you got me before I could edit it, would be 90 years haha

What's the difference between 90 and 100 between friends?!

Either way, as tractor's post indicates, it sounds like the arrival of D211 is imminent. Great stuff!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ok - so what work to convert Bacchy's D211 to the loco I want - D200 - in 1968 - 69 condition?

Firstly - what livery? She was green SYP in 67 and blue FYE by 1970 - but was she green FYE in between? The jury is still out!

The name plate will have to go - and the ohle flashes, theres only one at either end, along with the numbers

But its the lamp brackets...

Those moulded ones out on the corners of the bonnet front on the Bacchy model have to go - D200 didn't have them, its lamp brackets were more central along side the nose end doors - see the photos below. Are they part of the body moulding or separate fitments? Also had a lamp bracket at top of doors which other locos also appeared not to have. As far as I can see the nose end configuration stayed the same throughout her life.

Phots below for comparison D200 vs another disc fitted loco, were all other disc fitted locos the same as 275?

D200 blue http://www.flickr.com/photos/59835095@N02/6265723159/in/set-72157627818981963

D275 blue http://www.flickr.com/photos/59835095@N02/6265726845/in/set-72157627818981963/

Want to have a go at that steam heating pipe on the bogie as well so a bit to do

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

According to my records D200 was GSYP until at least 17 Feb 1968. The D was lost sometime after too. I wish I could find the picture again but I'm afraid I'm not that organised.....

PS you will need to get rid of the nose top handles too, the first 10 didn't have them.

Edited by stovepipe

• RMweb Gold

Nice one Paul - white insulated wire? Is bogie travel reduced.

Thanks Stovepipe - had missed the grab handles, as you say they have to go too

Any references to photos of the old girl in 68/69 would be appreciated - she seemed to be camera shy around this time, I guess everyone was photting the last knockings of steam instead....

Cheers

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Just looking at that photo D200 at Derby. With the chocked wheels it looks like it's waiting for works attention. It also has the two large BR arrows at each corner which indicates its previous works visit was Derby too. Don't know if anyone has Works visit reports but you may be able to tie the date it went blue that way.

Edited by stovepipe

• RMweb Gold

Nice one Paul - white insulated wire? Is bogie travel reduced.

Thanks Stovepipe - had missed the grab handles, as you say they have to go too

Any references to photos of the old girl in 68/69 would be appreciated - she seemed to be camera shy around this time, I guess everyone was photting the last knockings of steam instead....

Cheers

Phil

Thanks Phil

I used micro brass tube 1.3mm left over from experimenting with wire in tube. I cut it to Length, bent it to shape then painted it white. I then just glued it into place an weathered it, it's quite good as you can bend it into shape an it more or less does what you want .

Paul

• RMweb Gold

I've just turned up a colour picture by John Chalcroft of D200 in GSYP at Heaton Mersey on 20 June 1969. It's in Rail Enthusiast, December 1982 p34 when they were campaigning to get in reinstated.

And here's another very similar one in the same place from a month later

http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=90686983%40N00&m=pool&q=D200%20heaton%20mersey

It seems to have acquired a TOPS panel......

Edited by stovepipe
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Phil

I used micro brass tube 1.3mm left over from experimenting with wire in tube. I cut it to Length, bent it to shape then painted it white. I then just glued it into place an weathered it, it's quite good as you can bend it into shape an it more or less does what you want .

Paul

Sorry Phil, I never answered your question about bogie travel and to be honest I haven't ran her yet, the old layout is in bits, but I'll set some track up tomorrow night an test her in various gradients an points etc.

Paul

It's going to be mid next week  before the 40's hit the shops I believe.

Bachmann as well as having a stock check are also having an audit, hence the delay.

Believe they have arrived at Barwell but can't be despatched till the admin had been done.

Edited by johnd

• RMweb Gold

Spot on Sean - page 15 at Arpley on a train of prestflos, 1972, have just bought that excellent book this week!

The picture I have seen - and cant find again! - was of her blue fresh off Crewe in May 70 so pretty sure that's when she was first blue .... now that stovepipe has turned up that shot dated July 1969 - I had searched and searched Flikr, how had I missed that one?

That picture gives me the livery I need - GSYP with tops panel it will be.

Thanks again to all for help with tying this down

Phil