2012 / 13/14.....Dukedog?

M.I.B

• RMweb Gold

Stop it, Stop it!!!  :this:

I dismantled my Cambrian GWR layout 28 years ago, it doesn't fit in with modern image East Angular or my O-14 Ffestiniog project

Must keep repeating 'I don't wont one, I don't need one, I can't afford one'...

My wallet's aching...

..it would look lovely in my cabinet alongside my EM Duke 'Comet'...

Martin

Edited by mcowgill

Lovely!! Great seeing the Duke next to the other Cambrian stulwards! Interesting how much wider the tender is compaired to the 22xx!!

Many Thanks

Bob.C

Thanks Bob. R.e. the comment on the tender width, to be fair they are not models of the same tender. My Collett Goods is paired with a Dean 3,000 gallon tender (ex-Dean Goods) on a brass chassis. Most 2251's ran with the 3,500 gallon tender as used in the model of the Dukedog, so that would be more accurate. The Dukedog's tender is one fo the best models of the 3,500 gallon that Ive seen.

My weathered  version arrived  this  morning  from  Tim  at Arcadia models,  just  had  a  brief  analogue run on  a layout  under construction, ran impeccably  crawled  beautifully, no stalling  on dead frog  points  ( tender has pickups as  expected)  It  will be  digitized later today.  It also needs  a  crew  cab looks a bit  empty!

The  vac  pipes  etc  are  factory  fitted,   the  brake  rigging, front  coupling  hook,  and  some  fire  irons,  also a speaker enclosure are supplied for user fittng.

Some poor  quality  phots  attached.

Oh by the  way  I have  just  ordered  a  Green one!!  apparently  Bachmann  are now  out of stock of  all variants.

post-10539-0-08672500-1389877016.jpg

post-10539-0-13977500-1389877028.jpg

post-10539-0-37205100-1389877042.jpg

Edited by Stevelewis
  • Like 3

. The Dukedog's tender is one fo the best models of the 3,500 gallon that Ive seen.

Pity they invest so much in a new tooling only to spoil it by fitting broad gauge spacing brakes! I thought we had moved on from this in the 1970's

Mike Wiltshire

Pity they invest so much in a new tooling only to spoil it by fitting broad gauge spacing brakes! I thought we had moved on from this in the 1970's

Mike Wiltshire

Does  it really matter?     At  least  the  manufacturer  is  making  available  a model which many people will buy,  an excellent  altternative  to  the  prospect  of  scratch  or  kit  building which would  cost  more in terms   of  time  & expense

Edited by Stevelewis

Does  it really matter?     At  least  the  manufacturer  is  making  available  a model which many people will buy,  an excellent  altternative  to  the  prospect  of  scratch  or  kit  building which would  cost  more in terms   of  time  & expense

Well yes it does when they stand out so much. It just looks so wrong and is un-necessary as it was pointed out to Bachmann some time ago.

Hence why I will not be rushing to dispose of my kit built 3201. When I acquire an Earl for a Tre Pol and Pen conversion, those brakes will be removed and replacement positioned where they should be.

They got it right with Truro!

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Premium

My employer's uniform supplier use Yodel, some of the stories of where things have been left are funny (if not very worrying) and the less said about using the doorbells the better ;)

My good lady has just phoned, my BR Black one has just been delivered by Yodel less than 20 hrs from being ordered and seems to be intact. (I wont see it for another week Arrrggh)

Well done Hatton's for a fast and efficient service

Bob.C

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Bob. R.e. the comment on the tender width, to be fair they are not models of the same tender. My Collett Goods is paired with a Dean 3,000 gallon tender (ex-Dean Goods) on a brass chassis. Most 2251's ran with the 3,500 gallon tender as used in the model of the Dukedog, so that would be more accurate. The Dukedog's tender is one fo the best models of the 3,500 gallon that Ive seen.

Hi there, many thanks for the reply.

Yes the 22xx having a Dean Tender explains why it stood out to my eyes!! Never though of that dodge using an ex Maineline of Hornby Tender mmmm thats got me thinking as I do like the earlier styles of tender coupled to these engines, makes them look less modern

Cheers

Bob.C

Hi there, many thanks for the reply.

Yes the 22xx having a Dean Tender explains why it stood out to my eyes!! Never though of that dodge using an ex Maineline of Hornby Tender mmmm thats got me thinking as I do like the earlier styles of tender coupled to these engines, makes them look less modern

Cheers

Bob.C

No problem. I agree with you - my Bachmann Collett Goods came with the Collett 3,000 gallon tender with the continuous fender. It looks far too modern to my eyes too! The Dean tender looks great and is paired with a Mainly Trains churchward chassis. If anyone wants to sell me their Dukedog tender, please let me know though!!

Rather  sooner  than  I anticipated  i  have  now  fitted  a  decoder  to  my  weathered  Dukedog and  just   done a  couple  of  trial  runs,  the  Digital  control is  superb

CV3 (acceleration) is  set  to 18  CV4 (deceleration)  set  to 12,  decoder  is  a  Bachmann 21pin,  control  Gaugemaster  Prodigy 2.

The  loco crawled extremely  slowly on setting  1 ( almost  impossible to detect any movement), turning  the  handheld  up to 14  the loco slowly  accelerated  to (in my estimate) a scale 30mph, then  returning  the  controller  setting  to  0  it  decelerated  slowly  & smoothly and   stopped.

Full speed   ( setting  28) appears  to  be  around 55mph  these  are  only  rough  estimates  of the  speeds.

It  hauled  6  Bachmann Mk 1s with no problem  on level  track  the  layout  I am using  has  no  gradients  (Yet) 

GWR green Dukedogs, paint those splasher tops black. Good display of photos gents. Brakes moulded to tender sideframes I personally can accept. They've been out of line with wheels for years on may many items of rolling stock including coach bogies. It is the reintroduction of moulded darts after all these years that grates a bit, as removal can damage the door

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm afraid that to me the weathered example looked as though it's been sprayed with camouflage paint (German AFV red-brown) rather than accumulated grime from use and lack of cleaning. I'm not a fan of factory weathering but that is particularly unconvincing. The loco looks great though, especially the GWR green version.

Pete

I am  not  unconvinced  it  looks OK to  me  maybe  its  my  old  eyes!  I  have  been  weathering  locos for  several decades!! :O

When  my  2nd loco the  GWR green one  arrives  I will weather  that  my  self  so  we  can  do  a  comparison

Edited by Stevelewis

I'm afraid that to me the weathered example looked as though it's been sprayed with camouflage paint (German AFV red-brown) rather than accumulated grime from use and lack of cleaning. I'm not a fan of factory weathering but that is particularly unconvincing. The loco looks great though, especially the GWR green version.

Pete

I do not dissagree with these sentiments concerning factory weathering. Nevertheless, I find this weathering is actually a good base (rather than satin black) on which to add ones own style of weathering.

• RMweb Premium

I've been Yodel'ed .

Okay salivating Great Western fans , some shots of the Dukedog in 'proper' colours .  :jester:

attachicon.gifDSCN3635.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN3636.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN3637.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN3638.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN3639.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN3641.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN3642.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN3644.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN3645.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN3646.jpg

Now I have to strip it down and remove the DCC chip , a blanking version is included in

the bag of bits , along with the brake rigging , fire irons and other things that I cant identify

at  the moment . The coal load is a removeable item .

Once it's de-chipped then the tender will have to be attacked to get the ' proper ' insignia

in place . :sungum:

First impressions on just a visual inspection are favourable , that actually means it will do for me ,

others might be a bit more fussy .   :beee:

Once the chip work is done I will give it a testing and report back .     :locomotive:

Thanks for posting the photos Sidecar Racer, l think she looks classic in Great Western Green. I wish l had a green one myself now!! Lovely looking layout you ve posed her on, is it yours?

Bob.C

Edited by Blobrick

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for posting the photos Sidecar Racer, l think she looks classic in Great Western Green. I wish l had a green one myself now!! Lovely looking layout you ve posed her on, is it yours?

Bob.C

Thanks Bob , you can read all about the layout here .

http://www.rmweb.co....where-in-devon/

• RMweb Gold

I do not dissagree with these sentiments concerning factory weathering. Nevertheless, I find this weathering is actually a good base (rather than satin black) on which to add ones own style of weathering.

That is certainly my hope (and intention) with the weathered one - I think it looks a reasonable starting point.  The big question is the best way to produce that all over dirt coating that developed on locos which received little cleaning attention and that might require some experimentation I think.