2012 / 13/14.....Dukedog?

M.I.B

• RMweb Premium

Some initial thoughts .

Another well made loco from Bachmann , certainly as good as the City's .

Removing the decoder and fitting the override chip was not to difficult , the main pain is not being able to detatch the

tender , the tender body screws are quite long and can be fiddly to get past the wheels , but once the lid is off the chip

change was straight forward . Just need to take care not to damage any off the fixtures on the tender footplate .

A short running in session of about 10 minutes in each direction round the layout was performed , good controlability

of speed is apparent even with a non DCC set up , hopefully it will get even better with more running .

I hooked on 6 Hornby clerestorys and gave it some throttle , no go just wheel slip , 5 and we had movement , that was until

we came to a bend , slowed down and more wheel slip , down to 4 , now much better , good progress on the straight runs but

still dragging on the bends . So I substituted the Dog for a City to get a back to back comparison , the City was okay with 5

but again started to struggle on  the curves but ran very happily with 4 . So there is not much difference betwee the two with

the same coaching stock . I will do some more tests with my Bachmann Collet stock to see how things compare , I gave up today

as it was starting  to get a bit cold in the shed .

I'm hoping things will be better when the weather is warmer and stock runs a bit more freely . also I need to do some wheel

changes and bearing tuning to get the best running I can from what is fairly old stock . Also the loco's need some more running

in as neither have done much mileage .

Still gets a thumbs up from me though .

Edited by Sidecar Racer
  • Like 3

The haulage performance does seem low Mike. I need to do a deep clean on my rail heads (layout is in the loft) so it will be a few days before I can test run mine. I was thinking about a 3 coach consist behind mine; looks like I wouldnt get much more that that anyway!

• Like 1

Hi 

Got my one to day from a chap in a mini bus, no yodel van!, Anyway what a model, just stunning, have not had a chance to give her a run yet.

But this weekend i will and then on to weathering her up and crew, so glade i ordered her, WELL DONE Bachmann!!!!!.

• RMweb Gold

First impressions on just a visual inspection are favourable , that actually means it will do for me ,

others might be a bit more fussy .   Once the chip work is done I will give it a testing and report back .     :locomotive:

Very nice Mike but what is a post war liveried loco doing on a 30's set layout. :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Very nice Mike but what is a post war liveried loco doing on a 30's set layout. :jester:

Oh not you as well , I'd only had the bl88dy thing 10 minutes .      :scratchhead:               :jester:

Just wait till you see the re-done version .    :sungum:

• Like 2

The haulage performance does seem low Mike. I need to do a deep clean on my rail heads (layout is in the loft) so it will be a few days before I can test run mine. I was thinking about a 3 coach consist behind mine; looks like I wouldnt get much more that that anyway!

I got  mine  hauling  6  Bachmann Mk1s (Blu/Grey ones!!!!! were the only  ones to hand!)  as  mentioned in one of my previous  posts,  it  had  no  trouble doing  this  no wheelsip  and part of the  layout has 18" rad curves, there were no gradients involved though,  However  I do feel that  in reality  6 on would  probably  have been exceptional,??

Got mine today,

Been run in on the rolling road and chipped. It was a bit fiddly getting the screws from the tender so I could chip the loco but a pair of tweezers simplified that job!

Its pulled its first train into Danemouth - nice looking loco.

Regards,

Dave

These really do look fantastic; I cannot wait to get my green one. However, the paucity of suitable coaching stock - especially for the GWR version - is pretty astonishing. Surely someone, somewhere at Barwell, must be a practitioner of joined-up thinking? Clerestories, toplights & bow-enders... does anyone know of a hypnotist in Leicestershire?

In the meantime, I'd better dig out the old Collett 'sunshine' coaches and drop in a 1947 built Hawksworth TK as a strengthener... 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I'm hopeing it's part due to weather , the shed is unheated so the stock gets cold too , I had a Bachmann Hall on the

same stock of 6 clerestorys a couple of days ago and even that was struggling , yet back in the summer heat it was pulling

a mix of 12 of the old Mainline/Replica and Bachmann Collet stock with no problems . And the Hall has not done a lot of work either .

I think with some tuning of the stock and more running time it will get better ,

• RMweb Premium

Mine arrived today.... Couldn't leave the office I was in to collect it ! It's still in one of my offices, to be collected tomorrow morning..... Photis on-line soon on the Wharncliffe pages....

• Like 1

I collected mine today and it was worth waiting for. In perfect condition - except for a bent tender brake stanchion, easily repaired with superglue - it ran well straight from the box. Quiet, responsive and true-running, it now awaits fitments from the substantial bag of bits.

On haulage however this one is no big lifter. Four Hornby clerestories on level track were possible but a little taxing; on the club's incline, it stalled with two.The stall in part was due to the 1 : 36 challenge, but 'Truro' will make it with two happily. Does this disappoint ? Not in the least. Who models Lickey Bank anyway ?!

Tony

• RMweb Gold

I would appreciate if someone could inform of the haulage capacity. Curious to see if the smaller wheels can out perform Truro.

Mike Wiltshire

The Model Rail review quoted 5 up,similar to the City,I think.I would not expect any significant improvement.We shall see.I envisage my BR version to run with a mixed rake of Hornby Hawksworths & Bachmann Colletts . Edited by Ian Hargrave

I have found that, by removing the tender / loco buffers (they just pull out), much more realistic close-coupling is possible.

Haulage is not huge, but the ability is there. External weight on top of the loco transformed matters.

I wonder if weighting the front bogie to keep it on the track, removing the bogie spring, and putting some tender weight onto the draw-bar would be effective, (perhaps via the spring from the bogie) ......?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk

My  2nd  Dukedog  arrived  today  purely  an impulse  buy GWR  version,

Just  had  a  quick  run  performance  is more   or less exactly the  same as   my  other one (weathered black) that  is  once  the   factory fitted  decoder Accel &  deccel CVs were adjusted.  As with  the  Black  one  it  had  no problems hauling  6  Bachmann  Mk1  coaches.

Bachmann (and PECO)  have  done  quite well from me in the  last  few  days, My group have  clubbed   together  their  Christmas  Money and we  have  bought 5 items of  motive  power  aound 10 items of  rolling  stock and some Peco track, 

I am genuinly sad to say that amongst  them  there  was  only  1 Hornby item  ( a 2-BIL  from  Rails at the reduced price), theres  just  nothing much Hornby that attracts  us  at  the  moment.

Edited by Stevelewis

At £114.94 this is the most expensive loco I have ever bought but I am well pleased and I'm no GWR fan. It's true the haulage isn't great. I coupled it to four coaches two of which are Replica Colletts and it just managed to start them on the curving platform line on my layout which is on level track. In motion the loco looks great with the side rods whirling round and it's something different in the looks department.

I purchased my model at Monk Bar models in York and they tested it for me. I have purchased from mail order box shifters in the past but twice had to send models back. The price from a mail order firm is £109 add on the postage of £4 -£4.50 and you get £113 or so, not much financial advantage. I got my model as soon as available in perfect condition.  I'm really pleased with the model and with the service in the local model shop.

• Like 2

At £114.94 this is the most expensive loco I have ever bought but I am well pleased and I'm no GWR fan. It's true the haulage isn't great. I coupled it to four coaches two of which are Replica Colletts and it just managed to start them on the curving platform line on my layout which is on level track. In motion the loco looks great with the side rods whirling round and it's something different in the looks department.

I purchased my model at Monk Bar models in York and they tested it for me. I have purchased from mail order box shifters in the past but twice had to send models back. The price from a mail order firm is £109 add on the postage of £4 -£4.50 and you get £113 or so, not much financial advantage. I got my model as soon as available in perfect condition.  I'm really pleased with the model and with the service in the local model shop.

I have  no  problems  with ordering  on line or on phone  I deal  mostly  with  Hattons  and  Arcadia  rail  and occasionally with  Rails.

The  last  time  I returned  anything  was some  time  back  a  Hornby 4 VEP  and  I  think we  all know  the  reasons  for  that.!!

I find  it  much more  convenient  and  time  saving  to order  for  Home  delivery  and  in the  long  run  its  is less expensive , in terms  of  Fuel  and  parking!

Finding a local model shop is increasingly difficult for many and one that actually tests locos is even rarer.Not testing is however understandable given the problems imposed by some of Hornbys crazy packaging and Dapols rock solid grease, I was quite shocked when a shop that tested locos as a matter of course just thrust a 14xx in my hand with no suggestion of it being test run.