Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

2012 / 13/14.....Dukedog?

M.I.B

Most GWR Tenders had a shallower beam between the buffers so a clue might lie there. .........

Roger5591 :  Bachmann have put a recess in the tender buffer beam (here)

Should it be there, or is it just that the buffer beams were fitted the wrong end round in the factory ?

:)
Edited by coachmann

I think the pipe comes under the bogie, on this style of loco.

Yes, a quick flick through Russell suggests that on most outside frame 4-4-0s the vacuum pipe passes below the bogie front cross member. There were some exceptions, though, including the Armstrongs, 3521s and Badmintons which appear to have a little more room in this area and the pipe appears to pass above the cross member in a more conventional style.

Nick

mine Arrived last week from  goldstarstockists

GWR green was my choice have to say i'm really happy a very handsome loco

excellent price too

Only issue was the bell that should sit on the right hand side of the cab had fallen off. still its back in place now after i found out what it was Thanks to the blue bell for preserving this loco (and taking a really useful picture of the cab)

cheerho

The round bit goes on the tender, there are two round roped bits about half way along the chassis and it fits between these

The two long bits go either side of the loco chassis under the horn guides for the two driving wheels.

Hopefully that makes sense, I can try and do a photo later on if it doesn't

The round bit goes on the tender, there are two round roped bits about half way along the chassis and it fits between these

The two long bits go either side of the loco chassis under the horn guides for the two driving wheels.

Hopefully that makes sense, I can try and do a photo later on if it doesn't

Hi,

Any chance of a pic for where these parts go.

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

I actually saw a 'Dukedog', 'Earl', 90xx or whatever, in the flesh yesterday evening - I don't get out much so this was the first one!

It really is a lovely little model.  It is to be earnestly hoped that, come March, Bachmann will anounce the production of a 'Bulldog' using the 90xx as a basis - that really would be something.  Whilst no 'Bulldogs' survive it has not dettered Backmann from prodiucing a J11 which is similarly extinct so it might happen!  Fingers crossed!

Gerry

• 4 weeks later...

Has anybody taken one apart? I'm thinking of buying an example of 9017 for conversion because I've always had an affection for the Cambrian ... what diameter axles are used throughout and how are the pickups designed?

Thanks

To partially answer my own question, Ultrascale are advertising a wheel set, see  https://www.ultrascale.com/eshop/products/view/CAT006/177 .

After doing a bit of research the balance weights (on driving wheels only) are a little ambiguous. Russell is by no means clear so I've ordered a copy of RM Dec 1967 which has drawings of the Earl class. See what it says when it arrives, otherwise a visit to the Bluebell will be required.

Regards

Edited by PenrithBeacon

• RMweb Gold

Try Russel Vol 1, figures 471 & 481.....

Not a lot of balance weights on the rear drivers, just to compensate the outside crank & portion of coupling rod.

Most of the balance work is on the leading coupled set.

Ian

Try Russel Vol 1, figures 471 & 481.....

Yes, but note that the heavily rivetted type shown in 471 is typical of the original Dukes, but had been replaced by those in 481 well before the Dukedog rebuilds took place. Compare, for example, Duke of Cornwall in original (fig 472) and final (fig 480) condition. Of course, those are Dukes, whereas the lower parts of Dukedogs were more Bulldog in origin, so Russell vol 2 figs 11 and 12 are probably more indicative.

There are many on-line photos of Bulldogs, a few of which do show details of the balance weights. Links to many of these are at http://www.gwr.org.uk/no-dukedogs.html. This one shows the vestigial rear balance weight very clearly.

Nick

• Like 1

Yes, but note that the heavily rivetted type shown in 471 is typical of the original Dukes, but had been replaced by those in 481 well before the Dukedog rebuilds took place. Compare, for example, Duke of Cornwall in original (fig 472) and final (fig 480) condition. Of course, those are Dukes, whereas the lower parts of Dukedogs were more Bulldog in origin, so Russell vol 2 figs 11 and 12 are probably more indicative.

There are many on-line photos of Bulldogs, a few of which do show details of the balance weights. Links to many of these are at http://www.gwr.org.uk/no-dukedogs.html. This one shows the vestigial rear balance weight very clearly.

Nick

Thank you for that, I was referring to Russell Vol 2 in my post above.

Regards

I caved in yesterday and bought the G W R version, from the Bure Valley Railway shop. Already removed the GWR and replaced with a shirtbutton logo: next renumbering and naming. I've decided on the first one - 3201 'St.Michael'. (I'm a big fan of Marks & Spencer!)

I've just ordered the GWR version from Cheltenham models - without the chip - and will also need to change the GWR to the shirtbutton - how did you remove the GWR without damaging the paintwork underneath?

By gently rubbing with a cotton bud, soaked in 'T Cut' the 'G W R' disappeared, but it did leave a smooth finish to the paintwork. As I have to add coal and slightly weather the tender top with powders, I shall do that first and then spray with matt acrylic varnish to matt the tender sides down and cover the weathering.

However, the whole thing is on hold as the Dukedog is waiting for me back in the UK, until I return there in July.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I actually saw a 'Dukedog', 'Earl', 90xx or whatever, in the flesh yesterday evening - I don't get out much so this was the first one!

It really is a lovely little model.  It is to be earnestly hoped that, come March, Bachmann will anounce the production of a 'Bulldog' using the 90xx as a basis - that really would be something.  Whilst no 'Bulldogs' survive it has not dettered Backmann from prodiucing a J11 which is similarly extinct so it might happen!  Fingers crossed!

Gerry

Totally agree Gerry,  Seems amazing to me Hornby and Bachmann have produced between them GWR 4-4-0's of the City, County and now Dukedog classes.  Although "City of Truro was obviously a famous loco and probably demanded some kind of RTR model for the me the Bulldog is the most deserving class.   Longest lived, not a rebuild like the Dukedog,  geographically spread, and blessed with a wonderful selection of names, eg "Pershore Plum" and "Stanley Baldwin".   I particularly like the final Bird version with the deeper frames "Jackdaw", Skylark", "Seagull" etc.  Unfortunately the Dukedog chassis won't suit this version.

Gordon

Further to the earlier comments about the hauling power, I've added a piece of sheet lead under the loco between the drivers - held on with double sided tape so it can be removed if I need access to the chassis screws. It has improved the hauling capacity on my layout which has an incline.

• Like 2

Longest lived, not a rebuild like the Dukedog,  geographically spread, and blessed with a wonderful selection of names, eg "Pershore Plum" and "Stanley Baldwin".   I particularly like the final Bird version with the deeper frames "Jackdaw", Skylark", "Seagull" etc.  Unfortunately the Dukedog chassis won't suit this version.

To be pedantic there were 19 Dukes rebuilt as Bulldogs (the original currved frame type not the later straight frame engines).

• RMweb Premium

I have seen mine briefly and returned to sandy places.

How do I remove the DCC chip?  I will be running this "old school" DC

I tell you what.When Bachmann first announced they were doing this model I was not that bothered as I knew the prototype was highly unlikely to be seen in the West Country.

Having seen one in the Bachmann cabinet yesterday and now Andy Y's photos my opinion has changed.I want one come hell or high water ! :no: Newton Abbot must have had one..... ;)

I was shown a picture today, of an Earl doubleheading with a big Prairie, at Aller Junction heading for Dainton so you are in luck.

Mike Wiltshire

I have seen mine briefly and returned to sandy places.

How do I remove the DCC chip?  I will be running this "old school" DC

Once again, Why?

Almost all chips have a DC running mode and

they will normally improve the running qualities.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Once again, Why?

Almost all chips have a DC running mode and

they will normally improve the running qualities.

Jeff

Thanks for the info.  In that case, how do I set the chip to DC mode?

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The standard factory settings will have dc mode enabled, so it should be a case of out it on the track and run it

A perfect and much appreciated simple answer.

Thanks.