2012 / 13/14.....Dukedog?

M.I.B

I have a feeling that Bachmann have not released (m)any GWR locomotives with the roundel in recent years.  I have 3 such Bachmann locomotives but all are old split chassis types and I have been waiting for an 8750 with the roundel for ages but I believe it has not been released with this livery.  Does Bachmann market research conclude that GWR locomotives sell slowly with the roundel?  However their recent Collett coaches have been released with the roundel.

Best regards

Edited by MG 7305

I have been waiting for an 8750 with the roundel for ages but I believe it has not been released with this livery. .

Best regards

The Bachmann 57/8750 has topfeed fitted making it a 1940 onwards model. They would need to remove the topfeed, and other items before it would be accurate for the roundel version.

Mike Wiltshire

Edited by Coach bogie

The Bachmann Colletts are hardly state of the art. They were more accurate in Mainline days, before Bachmann decided to reduce the size of the windows for production reasons.

At least Hornby have released their 1925 Colletts with shirtbutton but at a price that reflects the detail and age of the model.

Bachmann continue to charge over £25 more for a 40 year old moulding that should be in an equivalent Railroad price.

Both manufacturers are long overdue to replace the 1930's Great Western period with 21st century mouldings.

It is why I support the kit boys to fill the gap with appropriately detailed stock.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 2

Memory even in the young can be distinctly dodgy I am sure. I travelled behind a 'Dukedog' on my own in 1955 when I was 13 or 14, head out of the leading coach window as you do. I even had a good look around the engine in Portmadoc.  When it came to painting a water-colour of the occasion about 7 years later I painted the engine dirty green and the leading coach blood & custard from memory. Dunno why this happened when the loco was probably BR black!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Looking at the Bachmann website they are not doing a unweathered one?, I do not understand why they are not?,as i hate factory weathering!.

If they are not doing one i think they are missing somthing here.

Darren01

• Like 1

Looking at the Bachmann website they are not doing a unweathered one?

Bachmann's currently-planned 9003 is unweathered. Presumably its 9017 will be unweathered as well. The finish on the planned 9022 is as yet unstated.

Edited by Miss Prism

I too would re-instate my order if the logical GWR livery was applied ie: Button and correct number. The possible Bachmann livery could only have exsisted for a short time frame up to two years. I am aware they ran for longer into BR days before a re-paint. However this doesn't help us Pre-nationalisation chaps. Please please Bachmann think again even if we have to wait even longer.

Alan T  (Munich)

One of my friends went to the Bristol Show today and commented that the boiler on the Dukedog looks between 1 & 2 mm too high. He says something does not look quite right.

I have not seen the loco in the Bachmann display so could someone confirm or deny this statement.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The weathered one looks to have had several more passes of the airbrush than is usual for factory weathering.

Yes, I'm not always happy with factory weathering but this does seem a bit better than the usual 'all over' grey.

• 2 weeks later...

One of my friends went to the Bristol Show today and commented that the boiler on the Dukedog looks between 1 & 2 mm too high. He says something does not look quite right.

I have not seen the loco in the Bachmann display so could someone confirm or deny this statement.

I think your friend's viewpoint is confirmed. Bachmann don't often drop a goolie of this magnitude, so I can think only that they had problems getting the motor axis in low enough above the drivers. (A cardan from motor-in-tender to loco would have been far better of course, but that's arguably way offtopic here.)

Here's a comparison - note the relative positions of the smokebox door, the smokebox front step, and the line of rivets underneath the smokebox door:

post-133-0-85347700-1371050221.jpg

post-133-0-06764300-1371050311.jpg

If the Bachmann boiler is 2mm too high, as it seems, it probably means the cab has been raised by an equivalent amount.

What a big disapointment!  Now I understand why it just didn't look quite quite right. 

Us GWR types are really not doing very well at the moment - the 'Modified Hall' was a big let down and will still be less than satisfactory even when it returns with fire iron tunnels.  I had hoped that a 'Bulldog' would follow the 'Earl' in due course but presumably the boiler pitch would be similarly compromised.

Gerry

The Bulldog boiler pitch (7'9") is 4" higher than a Duke/Earl's 7'5", and the top of the Bulldog's firebox is correspondingly higher still, so maybe a reasonable RTR Bulldog is still possible. The underlying problem is Bachmann's insistence in putting a motor and gear train onto both drivers, owing to rod axis alignment issues.

Don't sell yer Finney kits...

• Like 1