2012 / 13/14.....Dukedog?

M.I.B

• RMweb Premium

Given the delays with this model, will this impact on the 64xx, I wonder?

I do like the look of the Duke, just wish I could justify one on a South Wales colliery...

Special coach tour for the owners of the colliery or visiting government officials?

Edited by OnTheBranchline

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

According to an (E)mail shot from Modelfair this morning they have 31-086 "Early BR" Earl in stock......

Yet,if you take it a stage further,you will find it's 'reserve' i.e.NOT in stock ( as the e-mail states ) but in effect still on order. A mistake,I believe. Hopefully it's well -intentioned....and not an entrapment ploy.

I have sympathy. If we are impatient,then how must the retail trade be feeling ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Thank you Miss Prism for the updated Info, looks like I'll need two Shirt button variety for Ludgershall 1940 .

The Q

• RMweb Premium

Although given already on the Great Western Archive site, I've added the shed allocations in slightly more accessible tabular form.

Thanks, very useful.  

If I have assimilated the info and photos correctly for a loco that finished its working life at Croes Newydd, 9028 would be the nearest match to the Bachmann model?

Thanks, very useful.  

If I have assimilated the info and photos correctly for a loco that finished its working life at Croes Newydd, 9028 would be the nearest match to the Bachmann model?

9028 had fluted rods, which I don't think Bachmann is doing. 9018 seems a better candidate, although you'd have to change Bachmann's buffers to parallel ones, but it lasted 3 years longer than 9028.

To my eyes the weathered version looks more like something running around Manchester!  Granted the last 'Dukedog' I travelled behind was in 1956 on the Cambrian, but thye still had the early Totems at that time. Maybe they were dirtier elsewhere on the W.Region....

• RMweb Premium

9028 had fluted rods, which I don't think Bachmann is doing. 9018 seems a better candidate, although you'd have to change Bachmann's buffers to parallel ones, but it lasted 3 years longer than 9028.

From what I could see in the pictures I thought the Bachmann rods looked fluted.

However, if not I agree 9018 would be the alternative, and as you say the original lasted longer which would be a benefit.

Hopefully changing the buffers should be 'no big deal'.

• RMweb Gold

To my eyes the weathered version looks more like something running around Manchester!  Granted the last 'Dukedog' I travelled behind was in 1956 on the Cambrian, but thye still had the early Totems at that time. Maybe they were dirtier elsewhere on the W.Region....

In its final year in traffic 9017 is best politely described as 'distinctly grubby'

Will it be with us before Christmas do we know?

Still listed as Dec/Jan on the Bachmann website.

I won't be confident about this one showing up until it is in shops.

Bachmann have been hurt less than Hornby but the Chinese labour cost/availability hurts them too.

• RMweb Gold

Please don't rush this and get it wrong like the Hornby Stars.

I would far rather wait and get this one right.

I'd agree, but I'd also expect that the specification was signed off some time ago and Bachmann are just waiting for them to be made. 

John

• 3 weeks later...

The following excellent Andy Y images of unweathered 9017 (Bachmann 31-086) are copied from the recent Bachmann & Farish news from Warley thread. Andy describes them "...of the first production items shipped over for inspection". It's not clear whether the 'inspection' means final inspection and clearance by Bachmann, or whether this is really what will be in the boxes.

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section

Edit: larger image urls used.

Edited by Miss Prism
  • Like 13

Thanks to Andy Y for the above pictures, because they're the first decent ones we've had since the EP pics a year ago.

The EP situation was a bit strange, however, and since then some water has flowed under the bridge. The tapered chimney EP version, presumably intended for the as-then proposed 3203 in GWR guise, was coupled to a riveted tender. The other (parallel-chimney) EP was coupled to a flush-riveted tender. At that fluid EP stage, it was therefore a bit difficult to know how on which basis comment could be made.

Tenders for the Dukedogs would not have been new build, and they were taken from the growing stock of spare Churchward 3500g tenders at the time. These came from a number of potential sources, including of course the original locos the Dukedogs were built from. (Most if not all Bulldogs having been fitted with 3500g by the mid-1930s.) Generally, there weren't that many flush-riveted 3500g Churchward tenders left by the late 1930s, and very rare by the 1950s.

I'm not saying a few of the Dukedogs when originally built in 1936-39 didn't take a flush-riveted tender, and indeed it looks as though 3203 had one in 1937. But for the general Dukedog 'picture', particularly post-WWII, flush-riveted tenders are not correct.

The preserved 9017 has a riveted tender.

Why Bachmann didn't re-use the venerable but still excellent Mainline moulding (from the Mogul) isn't clear.

I'm sending a little note to Dennis Lovett.

Edited by Miss Prism

• RMweb Premium

It is a little beauty, though, isn't it, Miss P? I'm very, very tempted, although what I'd really like is a green shirtbutton version. Perhaps, however, somebody might be persuaded to commission of the prototype Tre Pol and Pen. It is, after all, a very Cornish name.

It is a little beauty, though, isn't it, Miss P?

It certainly is, and I'm sure it will fly off the shelves. Bachmann's abandonment of a shirtbuttoned version caused a few unhappy faces, but shirtbuttoned things are allegedly not great sellers. Btw, the Dukedogs were never 'Cornish' engines, and Tre Pol and Pen looked rather different to the production batch in a number of aspects, so that commission is highly unlikely.

Edited by Miss Prism
  • Like 1

The tender looks correct to me. All the Dukedogs I've seen in albums in BR days (those on the Cambrian section) have virtually no rivets and might be described as minimalist pop rivets the same as on the the shot looking down on the model. Some shots of the model appear to show removed rivet detail as well.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1