2012 / 13/14.....Dukedog?

M.I.B

.............    but I learn from Dennis Lovett that 9017 is modelled as working out of Machynlleth in 1955, .................

Oh dear  -  that means that I've got to buy that one know ( I was scared it might have some fancy modern bits and pieces on it ).

Thanks for the info.

Edited by phil gollin

• RMweb Gold

They worked into Bristol Temple Meads circa 1952 so there you have it, an excuse for one to trot down to Newton Abbot.

And of course at one time they worked into Manchester Exchange (albeit when numbered in the 32XX series and carrying names)  - so there you, Bachmann's grand plan is revealed and it would legitimate to see one almost alongside an ex L&Y 2-4-2T.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

It certainly is, and I'm sure it will fly off the shelves. Bachmann's abandonment of a shirtbuttoned version caused a few unhappy faces, but shirtbuttoned things are allegedly not great sellers.

And it's because of this that they wont be selling me one unfortunatly .  Why ? , because the Western one is DCC fitted and I'm

not going to spend extra for a chip I dont need , and also I'm not prepared to risk the superb looking paint job trying to get the

' wrong ' ( sorry Rob ) tender markings off .

A 'Button' version however I would have had .

• Like 1

And of course at one time they worked into Manchester Exchange (albeit when numbered in the 32XX series and carrying names)  - so there you, Bachmann's grand plan is revealed and it would legitimate to see one almost alongside an ex L&Y 2-4-2T.

Drat...You smoked me out Stationmaster. I was going to use that excuse or something similar. Anyway, mine will be heading an SLS Special from Exchange to some place or other but before that it will go up to Greenfield and back on familiarity runs. I just hope those rods don't rearrange the platform!

• Like 2

I've just figured out why they haven't appeared yet.

In one of the drawers in my father's loft is a Dukedog I started building some years ago (when 9017 was last being overhauled!)  from a "Nellie" chassis bock and a "Truro" kit but that I never got very far with owing to issues mounting the motor.

They're waiting to release the model the week after I finish mine....

The following excellent Andy Y images of unweathered preserved 9017 (Bachmann 31-086) are copied from the recent Bachmann & Farish news from Warley thread. Andy describes them "...of the first production items shipped over for inspection". It's not clear whether the 'inspection' means final inspection and clearance by Bachmann, or whether this is really what will be in the boxes.

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section

Edit: larger image urls used.

Sorry just have to quote the post again so we can see the beauty and detail on this model, my first reaction, wow.

Are you listening Hornby...........probably not.

• Like 3

Interesting that those photos above ( 7.44 ) SEEM to show different coloured driving axles on the left and right sides.  I ASSUME that it is just the way the light catches the axles in the bottom photo that makes them look more like brass than blackened steel.

Colour cast Phil as per highlights on the model and shadow benieth...

The perils of assumption - I had previously thought Bachmann's 9017 was intended to be 'as preserved' (an impression reinforced by the description on the website), but I learn from Dennis Lovett that 9017 is modelled as working out of Machynlleth in 1955, when it was fitted with a flush-riveted tender.

So I'm eating suitable humble pie at the moment. (Glad I stuck my neck out though in a way.)

Tender swapping seems to be more rampant than I had thought!

Thanks for your post. I did not want a preserved loco and 1955 condition suits me fine.

• RMweb Gold

And it's because of this that they wont be selling me one unfortunatly .  Why ? , because the Western one is DCC fitted and I'm

not going to spend extra for a chip I dont need , and also I'm not prepared to risk the superb looking paint job trying to get the

' wrong ' ( sorry Rob ) tender markings off .

A 'Button' version however I would have had .

Buy the BR black one instead and move your layout's goal posts Mike.I do it all the time, it's fashionable. :jester:

• Like 1

Thanks for your post. I did not want a preserved loco and 1955 condition suits me fine.

Understood, but apart from buffed-up locos working RCTS and Festiniog AGM specials etc, the general appearance of Dukedogs in BR days was a distinctly grimy one. In that respect, Bachmann's 'pristine' 9017 is probably true only of its ex-works repaint condition into BR(W) black, the date of which is unknown to me.

• RMweb Gold

Understood, but apart from buffed-up locos working RCTS and Festiniog AGM specials etc, the general appearance of Dukedogs in BR days was a distinctly grimy one. In that respect, Bachmann's 'pristine' 9017 is probably true only of its ex-works repaint condition into BR(W) black, the date of which is unknown to me.

Unfortunately the history of 9017 and several others of this class is sparse on the BR Database.

BTW with the discussion of rivet/flush tender over the last couple of days it's worth remembering that in #182 on this thread the pic of weathered 9022 is clearly a riveted one so Bachmann have the capability. 

• RMweb Premium

Buy the BR black one instead and move your layout's goal posts Mike.I do it all the time, it's fashionable. :jester:

Go and wash your mouth out with soap and water this instant .     :jester:

Our goalposts at the moment are along the lines of earlier markings not this new modern stuff . We decided on

1938 as a cut off point ,  so anything prior to that can run as between us we have a selection of locos from the

1900's on .

But no doubt I will fall under the spell of this super looking model and succome to a purchase .     :banghead: 

• Like 2

Anyone wanting a splash of colour on a BR black 'dog could do worse than model 9004 in early nationalisation days, in the Bradford Barton 'GW Steam In Wales & The Border Counties' album there's a lovely shot of 9004 on the Cambrian with a red backed cabside numberplate (trailing a filthy chocolate & cream liveried Hawksworth coach!).

Between them, the two Bradford Barton volumes on this subject have shots of 3265 'Tre Pol And Pen' (in GWR livery), 9004, 9005, 9012, 9013, 9014, 9015, 9017, 9020 (in GWR livery on 24/8/48) and 9025.

• Like 1

BTW with the discussion of rivet/flush tender over the last couple of days it's worth remembering that in #182 on this thread the pic of weathered 9022 is clearly a riveted one so Bachmann have the capability.

Therein lies another little can of worms, because that 9022 picture is when the loco had a large top feed boiler. As I understand Bachmann's current intentions, its 9022 will be depicted with non-top-feed boiler, an undated picture of which at Oxford can be found in Stationmaster Mike's thread, where the tender style is somewhat indeterminate, but my perception is a riveted one. Btw, 9022 seems to show a different whistle shield height between these two states, and my guess is that the non-top-feed boiler state probably predates the top-feed boiler state.

I think that's what has annoyed the Bluebell Management more than a little in that on the Bachmann website it states "preserved". So they were under the impression that the model would have nameplates on and a brass safety valve bonnet as in preserved condition on the Bluebell. Personally I'm very happy that it's been released looking historically correct with no nameplates and black safety valve bonnet but there's some not very happy bunnies within the hierarchy as the nameplates are quite an emotive subject to them.

Edited by David32424

And of course at one time they worked into Manchester Exchange (albeit when numbered in the 32XX series and carrying names)  - .........

I've a book with a couple of photos of GWR locos at Exchange, Mike, a 43XX and 3212 Earl of Eldon, both May 1937, the month 3212 was rebuilt according to the caption. This working into Manchester of GWR locos ended in 1943 apparently.

The perils of assumption - I had previously thought Bachmann's 9017 was intended to be 'as preserved' (an impression reinforced by the description on the website), but I learn from Dennis Lovett that 9017 is modelled as working out of Machynlleth in 1955, when it was fitted with a flush-riveted tender.

So I'm eating suitable humble pie at the moment. (Glad I stuck my neck out though in a way.)

Tender swapping seems to be more rampant than I had thought!

I am not a Great Western or Western Region modeller, however when they were announced I decided I would have a model of 9017, as preserved, their original description.

Now it appears as it is in 1955 condition with the incorrect tender for preservation, no nameplates and painted dome (I know the nameplates are easily rectified)I think I can live without this model - mine can go to someone who really wants a 1955 condition loco.

I am not a Great Western or Western Region modeller, however when they were announced I decided I would have a model of 9017, as preserved, their original description.

I've just checked the first few pages of the original (March 2011) RMweb announcement, and can find no reference by Bachmann that they planned to do 9017 as preserved. I did however stress to Dennis Lovett yesterday the somewhat misleading/ambiguous nature of "(Preserved)" on Bachmann's website.

I've just checked the first few pages of the original (March 2011) RMweb announcement, and can find no reference by Bachmann that they planned to do 9017 as preserved. I did however stress to Dennis Lovett yesterday the somewhat misleading/ambiguous nature of "(Preserved)" on Bachmann's website.

Original Bachmann Trade newsletter, 9017, as preserved on the Bluebell Railway. Not a definite promise perhaps sufficiently ambiguous  as to be misleading, especially as in both the trade Newsletter and the brochure it was used with a photograph of 9017 as preserved.

Edited by oOld Harry 666