2012 / 13/14.....Dukedog?

M.I.B

• RMweb Premium

If you look earlier in the post this is covered - there won't be a GWR "ready" one so you'll have to buy the "fitted" one and take the chip out.

Bachmann don't operate the same way as Hornby when it comes to DCC Fitted/Ready. The black versions are available DDC ready and the green version is DDC fitted only. I don't know how or why they choose which example to make DDC fitted.

If you look earlier in the post this is covered - there won't be a GWR "ready" one so you'll have to buy the "fitted" one and take the chip out.

I made the following observation some time back:

I formed the impression that Bachmann had indicated that this decoder would sense the supply and operate happily on either DC or DCC stimulus. Many models offered in the US (even with sound) operate this way.

Does anyone recall hearing/seeing anything similar - that this is a dual-mode decoder, equally happy on DC or DCC?

I made the following observation some time back:Does anyone recall hearing/seeing anything similar - that this is a dual-mode decoder, equally happy on DC or DCC?

Most decoders are happy on clean DC (no feedback, no HF track cleaners), but Bachmann US does sell stock with 'dual-mode' decoders in them. I've never determined whether this is just marketing-speak for a normal decoder (with the 'operate on DC' bit set) or whether there is some extra circuitry.

There will be an extra GWR Dukedog available as I cancelled my pre-order on seeing Bachmann's livery choice.

Adrian

Edited by Adrian Wintle
  • Like 1

... Bachmann US does sell stock with 'dual-mode' decoders in them. I've never determined whether this is just marketing-speak for a normal decoder (with the 'operate on DC' bit set) or whether there is some extra circuitry.

Adrian, thanks.

Broadway Limited is big on dual-mode decoders - in their case with sound. Nothing happens from 0 - ~5V. Then at around 5V the sound comes on and around ~7V the locomotive starts to move.

I had formed the impression that in those cases there was extra circuitry. For non-sound DCC, I frankly don't know whether there is a material distinction or just marketing.

I had formed the impression that there are some DCC decoder chips that don't seem to like DC irrespective of whether they are supposed to.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

Dear Bachmann

I note that the painted sample of the GWR Dukedog (3203) is shown as brunswick green, carrying the 1942-1947 G W R and running number 3203.  Earlier reports gave it carrying the 1932-1942 roundel, brunswick green and running number 3203. 

The painted sample would have existed for a very short time indeed, if at all.  GWR locomotives other than castles and kings were painted black during the war and the Dukedogs were renumbered in 1946 to the 90xx series to make way for the last Collett 0-6-0 locomotives which you also model.  So the painted sample shows a condition which could only have existed for about a year, late '45 to mid '46 (I do not have my RCTS book to hand for the exact renumbering date of 3203) and this only if the locomotive was repainted in that time.

Please release the model as originally indicated, brunswick green, 32-42 roundel and running number 3203.  Nameplates optional so long as they can be removed without damaging the model; they were carried for less than a year from building.  This is another but more amusing story.

Best regards

Edited by MG 7305

It's undeniably pretty, but I too strongly doubt whether any Dukedogs would have appeared looking like that after WWII. Having been outshopped only in 1936, my guess is that most of them continued on in an increasingly grimy state throughout the war, and the first proper repaint would have been into BR(W) black.

• Like 3

Hi

Am i right in thinking that Bachmann are only doing a the black preserved one and a black weathered one (Hate factory weathering) ,No black BR one?.

Darren

Edited by darren01

• RMweb Premium

The preserved one is the black one, is a BR one.    One and the same.

There's no BR green one, or GW black one.

I totally agree with MG 7305. Bachmann please take note!!!

What a squandered opportunity!

Even if the loco did appear in this livery (doubtful) it would have been for such a short time! I don't understand why you would go to great levels of accuracy with the mouldings etc. and then do that?

I pre-ordered mine straight after the initial announcement, but I'm sorry I will cancel if this is not changed. I won't run it in highly suspicious or very short-lived livery. Nor will I pay £110 or so and then respray.

I totally agree with MG 7305. Bachmann please take note!!!

What a squandered opportunity!

Even if the loco did appear in this livery (doubtful) it would have been for such a short time! I don't understand why you would go to great levels of accuracy with the mouldings etc. and then do that?

I pre-ordered mine straight after the initial announcement, but I'm sorry I will cancel if this is not changed. I won't run it in highly suspicious or very short-lived livery. Nor will I pay £110 or so and then respray.

Hi

There is a photo in J H Russell's book, also used in the Observer's book, of 3216 in shiny green with GWR on the tender. 3216 was renumbered to 9016 in August 1946, 3203 in July 1946. 

Roger.

• RMweb Gold

So that's one loco in post war GWR livery matching the model, and you'd presume that Bachmann had a photo they have worked from for the loco they've released.  Would be interested to hear of any more locos matching the livery.  In particular the 3 (9011/18/23) which according to the data on Railuk were shedded in Swindon at nationalisation.

Really don't want to have to start removing my preferred logo to add a shirtbutton! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think Bachmann are copying Hornby's trick of releasing a model where renumbering/name is a pain.Hornbys proposed 'Wellington' Castle with Hawksworth tender springs to mind.You talking months in a livery combination.

Came across this. 3210 in 1943. Is that any help?

Interesting photo, the paint on the tender looks much fresher than the engine and looks more likely to be green than black. Presumably it is one of the small number of exceptions to the black wartime livery?

btw. one error in the caption:

...later renumbered by British Railways as No 9010

. It was, of course, renumbered in August 1946.

Nick

At best it's a very short time period.

I believe the photo is a hand painted version. There is therefore time for Bachmann to change it for the production model. I urge people to email Bachmann.

Surely the choice should be number and livery both post 1946 (but the BR examples have 9000 numbers), or have both as pre 1945.

• RMweb Premium

I agree, it is a much better livery than the horrible shirt button.

Roger.

Unless you are modelling the 30's in which case the shirtbutton is a must !!!

Edited by Neal Ball
  • Like 1

Ha!

I'm not so bothered whether it is post 46 or pre 45. It just annoys me that it could well be accurate for just 1 year or be completely fictitious.

It's personal choice whether you prefer GWR or shirtbutton. I prefer the latter, but that's not the point here. If they want to do it GWR why not use the 9000 number sequence?

• RMweb Gold

Another topic of conversation with Bachmann today - they have the tapered chimney dimension but are having difficulty finding suitable loco pictures but it seems they would like to do a pre-war version (or at least their design chap does!).  Looks like a few nudges and lots of photo references might be needed.

• Like 3

Mike, this sounds like a very useful chat. So you didn't get any impression that there was going to be any change of plan on the GW version livery?

Also, apart from livery and numbering what are the other differences between the model and a pre-war version? What is this about chimneys?

Rich