RMweb

EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold

"Hornby Ratio"?

Is everything for 16.5mm gauge "Hornby" on eBay or something?

It's probably the name most people associate with model railways.....

The item itself looks neither Hornby nor Ratio in origin, which is quite amusing.

I can't link to a specific example as I'd be here all day, but ......

Lima 00 gauge loco's. the motor is rough, the mouldings are rough, yet they still fetch rather high prices for completely unmodified models?

Class 66 - averaging around £35

Class 60 - average £30 right up to £80 BIN

Class 59 - sitting stable around £32

I can walk into my local model shop and buy all of the above for £50 brand new unused mint boxed condition, why would anyone in their right mind pay those prices for used models on eBay?

About 3 years ago these models were all £25 tops, with Lima class 31 going for £12 average. Why have they suddenly become more valuable?

Mark

I can't link to a specific example as I'd be here all day, but ......

Lima 00 gauge loco's. the motor is rough, the mouldings are rough, yet they still fetch rather high prices for completely unmodified models?

Class 66 - averaging around £35

Class 60 - average £30 right up to £80 BIN

Class 59 - sitting stable around £32

I can walk into my local model shop and buy all of the above for £50 brand new unused mint boxed condition, why would anyone in their right mind pay those prices for used models on eBay?

About 3 years ago these models were all £25 tops, with Lima class 31 going for £12 average. Why have they suddenly become more valuable?

Mark

It could be that some do not have access to local model shops or to shows, such as those of us that live abroad. Some just get caught up in the bidding I suspect. I know I have in the past. 

Edited by thebritfarmer

• RMweb Gold

ref #6694:

The EWS bodies are starting to command a price because DB Schenker want oodles of money to issue licences to the likes of Fox/Modelmaster (for EWS tranfers) that it's uneconomic for them to produce transfers. 

Fox etc can of course produce plain numbers so some people are having to buy red EWS locs and renumber them, and the supply is diminishing. 

• RMweb Premium

The ebay advert was from TMC!

I suppose I should have said UK!

with the postage costs maybe the price wasn't too excessive.

How much to get items posted to France? (+£18 with TMC!)

Keith

EDIT, surely one could order from the UK TMC site and get it posted to France?

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold

EDIT, surely one could order from the UK TMC site and get it posted to France?

I think all 3 of the items that Colin posted were ebay-UK items that were available to overseas bidders, that's all. I often find everyday UK items in my ebay-fr searches.

This thing is curious. Why, oh why, would you want the bogie (they'd call it a truck) to revolve? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/On30-Scratch-Custom-Built-BACKWOODS-LOGGING-SHORT-4-Wheel-Bobber-RTR-CABOOSE-/400501693283?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item5d3fc2db63

• Like 2

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-Flying-Scotsman-NRM-Modified-DCC-Fitted-/251284974014?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item3a81c069be

``She's been modified so she looks how the nrm had here prior to refit to her current scheme...''

Interesting way of saying ``I've broke the deflectors off and can't obtain any replacements''! Where has the speedo cable/assembly gone as well?

Edited by 84A

• RMweb Gold

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-Flying-Scotsman-NRM-Modified-DCC-Fitted-/251284974014?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item3a81c069be

``She's been modified so she looks how the nrm had here prior to refit to her current scheme...''

Interesting way of saying ``I've broke the deflectors off and can't obtain any replacements''! Where has the speedo cable/assembly gone as well?

Surely when the NRM had her prior to refit she had a tender?

• RMweb Premium

Aren't there some RailRoad versions of these coming out soon with an RRP of £20?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-RAILWAYS-TRAIN-PACK-MODEL-R2077-PADDINGTON-WESTERN-SUPER-MARE-3-CAR-SET-/300915502506?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item460ff62daa

I'm sure the coach boards could be sought out of the £45 change...

With those large couplings as far as I am concerned they might as well be Railroad!

Keith

Can anyone explain why this sold for £73?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-OO-R4330A-GRAND-CENTRAL-RAILWAYS-MKIII-COACH-/190844343757?nma=true&si=uNTHNkoQ79JTzom7YS0fyRvJt38%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

In Railwayana hardware items at a certain auction always sold for more than identical items at other auctions, or even on traders stands. We used to call this "The Sheffield Factor", is this still the case!?

Tony

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-OO-R4330A-GRAND-CENTRAL-RAILWAYS-MKIII-COACH-/190844343757?nma=true&si=uNTHNkoQ79JTzom7YS0fyRvJt38%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

In Railwayana hardware items at a certain auction always sold for more than identical items at other auctions, or even on traders stands. We used to call this "The Sheffield Factor", is this still the case!?

Tony

Yes Rails of Sheffield seem to get higher prices than others.  Always start at 99p, good pics so you see what you're getting.  Quick dispatch etc.  Have used them a couple of times but generally prices go above what I want to pay when they have items which interest me.

• RMweb Premium

I have told him but he doesn't appear to be changing the description..................

Tony

Does actually say further down:

"PLEASE NOTE THIS IS NOT A ESCAP MOTOR THE MOTOR IS IN THE WRONG BOX"

Can't see why the main description hasn't changed though!

Keith

Edited by melmerby

Tony

It is a bit high but it also a MK3 TSo which always command a high price no matter what the livery. The FGW in Barbie livery also  sell for top dollar.