EBay madness

Marcyg

I love the price, seeing that I paid not much more than this for the whole locomotive not so long ago! (In much better condition too!)

• Like 2

It was on my watch list as anything 'Franco Crosti' always interests me! I would've been prepared to go to around £40 ...... the cast tender was quite desirable but........!

Does anybody have any views on the quality of 'Crownline' castings? I do have a side chimney casting (from I know not who) which is almost unusable. Scratchbuilding (or a quality brass lost wax casting, if there was one ) will have to be the best option

I have not seen the Crosti 9F bits but from my experience of other Crownline castings I think your phrase "almost unusable" fits the bill perfectly!

Tony

• RMweb Gold

It was on my watch list as anything 'Franco Crosti' always interests me! I would've been prepared to go to around £40 ...... the cast tender was quite desirable but........!

Does anybody have any views on the quality of 'Crownline' castings? I do have a side chimney casting (from I know not who) which is almost unusable. Scratchbuilding (or a quality brass lost wax casting, if there was one ) will have to be the best option.

That sounds like a Crownline casting John!

• Like 1

Lots of 'Hornby train sets' listed again, apparently involving no rolling stock, track or controller though...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Trains-Railway-Models-/479/m.html?item=251340610795&pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item3a85115ceb&_ssn=mrstephenmitchell2011

Those must be some of the worst photos I've ever seen on eBay!

• RMweb Premium

Lots of 'Hornby train sets' listed again, apparently involving no rolling stock, track or controller though...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Trains-Railway-Models-/479/m.html?item=251340610795&pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item3a85115ceb&_ssn=mrstephenmitchell2011

Fourth one is for use in Australia I assume! :jester:

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Registered as a business seller so you would have thought a bit more professional if he's to succeed?  But only has 5 feedbacks as a seller in the last 12 months and 2 of those are negative!

• RMweb Gold

All relisted at the same price including the upside down Class 31. Sounds like he is following in the footsteps of our usual favourites.

• RMweb Gold

Note one of his T&C's

NOTE: In the event of any misunderstanding as to the description or this package contents, the package contents shall prevail.

• Like 1

:boast:

Its an Lmx one aswell.

Was that the company that ran Hogwarts express :scratchhead:

Edited by andytrains

Oh, dear. First of all - have you noticed where this topic sits? In Wheeltappers. This is an area - available to members only - where we relax and take things a little less seriously. There are plenty of other threads in other parts of the Forum to discuss the rights and wrongs of the market and future of the hobby - and it's all done to death on a regular basis. This thread is about looking at ebay and seeing the odd, the bizarre and the silly price. Most of the items are not much more than one-liners - as you must have noticed. Hence my point about you coming in at post 7000-odd and going in a different direction, offering your philosophy at length on this and that. Isn't it sensible, maybe even polite, for new members to do as Rome does when in Rome? By all means start new threads and invite debate on matters that interest you and may indeed interest many others - but this thread has its style already set, so I follow it.

K's kits are not generally regarded in a good light - period, hence any high prices seem worthy of comment here. M'learned Friend Horsetan has been here longer than me, and built a very great number of kits, I believe, so he knows his onions. My adventures with K's kits in the '60s did not result in anything worthwhile.

Oh dear indeed, Oldddudders. It would seem that you believe further condescension is required to settle this matter. I would have offered an apology, but perhaps that's just me.

You backhandedly accuse me of not being polite (getting a cheap laugh by twisting a post and ridiculing a new member being so courteous, of course). Thus I decided out of respect for the members to go back and spend what spare time I had reading this thread, ALL of it, every single post. Hence the delay in replying before you have a go at me for that. The results were interesting.

I would say that I expressed an opinion, being well aware that this was the more laid back section of the forum. I didn't notice anywhere in this thread the warning that one had to ask permission before engaging in conversational free speech. I didn't offer my philosophy on this and that, just prices on eBay and elsewhere, and I devoted a single paragraph to the subject. I have a little bit of experience of the writing game. One small paragraph is not at length.

You are correct that most posts here are of the 'Look at this', 'Yes, look at that' variety. However, there are plenty of posts that stray from a rigid interpretation of the topic. Many members have taken a cue from a post and headed in a different direction. If this offends then the other members have the choice of not reading that post. I suspect some of them have already come to that conclusion about this post. I apologise to them, but I reserve the right to defend myself.

Let me give you some examples of the aforementioned posts. Early on in the thread one member took a cue from a remark about Southampton Model Centre. He used this as an excuse to give (briefly) his experience of the erstwhile SMC and US modelling. Not strictly on topic, but interesting enough. Less so was the same member's later post about an eBay listing. Now this was on topic I suppose, but boring because he decided the members here should be treated to a long list of the eBay seller's postal exclusions. Was that polite? Did that move the thread along? By 974 we find this same member sharing his opinion on a subject, or philosophy as you might put it.

The above member did not receive any criticism from you, Oldddudders. This puzzles me because it would appear he had hijacked your ID. 

Finally, with regard to K's kits, I can appreciate people have had bad experiences with them. I've never claimed that they were perfect, or even great. If you want the highest standards, steer clear of K's, no argument. However, my point is that it seems very arrogant to dismiss them as irretrievable. I've built plenty of them, from the little Y8 to the Turbomotive and LMS B-G. Only one was a disaster (the GWR Rover), and that was for a specific reason (GW fans would be horrified). All of the others still exist and still run. What more can I say?

• RMweb Premium

Well I'm impressed by Nedrahn's dedication in reading through this thread seemingly from the start, which would explain the twelve day time lag between perceived insult and the post above, but was it really worth it? Spending some time cultivating a thicker skin might have better long tern benefits.

I am surprised that something described with the words  "all items are in mint condition and look to be unused" should have such evident scrapes on the power cars, but perhaps that is an accurate representation of "the prototype".

I am surprised that something described with the words  "all items are in mint condition and look to be unused" should have such evident scrapes on the power cars, but perhaps that is an accurate representation of "the prototype".

GNER kept their trains in better condition than that - no scrapes left on their trains! :no:

I reckon this box of landfill will go for something silly.  Just a feeling...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380717284018?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

People who put 'L@@k', 'great item', 'super item' and the like in titles should be banned from Ebay! Does it add anything to the description? No!

Edited by valeofyork