EBay madness

Marcyg

Another seller that always seems to make good prices, though this seems some sort of record.

My jaw just dropped at the winning bid price. You could get just about nine of those frets direct from Martin for the price of that eBay pair.

Either there are some real fools out there, or someone's taking the shilling.

:O

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kitmaster-Railway-Models-/181280193970?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item2a35243db2

OK there's more than is just shown in the initial pic but even so.......

Granted some are nice...the Schools is the Airfix version, and none of the others are that rare.

The best would be the un-built Princess Coronation, followed by the coaches. (Not made by Airfix or Dapol...)

As the City and 9f are still available from Dapol, and were made for years by Airfix, the demand would possibly be less than, say the "General", and the US and Continental Locos, These were not made by Airfix...or Dapol.

Note the clever price list. One BIN listing instead of 12! :O

Not so clever...the last pic is the best for this listing! ;)

Edited by Sarahagain

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121234045673?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Now then...

2 nice sets...the only thing is....the people who would like the one set, would probably not want the other.

Unless there is a rich collector with someone to buy a present for...... ;)

Sheer madness here

...especially when you consider that Martin Finney himself only charges £2.50 per pack!! (see pack E1, Miscellaneous Components, near the bottom of the webpage).

The only thing I can think of is it was overseas bidders as some small manufacturers don't have the capability of (or interest in) taking foreign currancies?

Tony

:O

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kitmaster-Railway-Models-/181280193970?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item2a35243db2

OK there's more than is just shown in the initial pic but even so.......

I feel the seller has been rather optimistic with his prices, especially for the coaches and part/fully built kits are worth very little.* The rarest is the unbuilt Coronation, which I suggest could possibly make €25, and the others rather less. Collectors of these things (Not me - My opinion is that they should be used as intended and put together!) prefer the parts still on the sprues or, best of all, with the box still in its cellophane (not that I remember them coming wrapped in cellophane!)

Possibly the most valuable item is the Craftsman chassis kit for the Schools (Why did Airfix mould her in green???)

*I paid a modest sum for an assembled NYC Hudson not long ago.

Edited by Il Grifone

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121234045673?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Now then...

2 nice sets...the only thing is....the people who would like the one set, would probably not want the other.

Unless there is a rich collector with someone to buy a present for...... ;)

Definitely better as two separate items. The seller is honest too re tobacco smell, though my experience is that it takes rather more than "airing out" to get rid of it.

Christmas is coming, apparently. Maybe not for the (un)lucky recipient of this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XMAS-IS-COMING-LIMA-BRAKE-COACH-in-green-/301041229516?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item4617749ecc

Also, who on Earth would pay this for one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Golden-Syrup-Hornby-Box-Van-OO-Gauge-/231114175444?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item35cf7a73d4

If i'm right, I believe they are incorrectly fitted with a vaccum cylinder for private owner stock. I'd prefer a Bachmann plywood side van for that much money, and maybe even some change!

Edited by 84A
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The first and last item I ever sold on eBay was a Bachmann class 150 DMU in good nik.

It was a buy it now for £60+ £10 insured P&P. A good price seeing as it was new.

I day or 2 later after listing the item i had (what a assume was a drunken) message. Saying: "Ite Bud, give u £80 dont worry 'bout insured post just need it..."

The kind person I am and not taking advantage of him/her I ignored and sold else where

But after reading through 383 pages of 'eBay madness' it makes me think twice about this strange world we live in.

Jack

Yes, extended to go round the Tri-ang motor bogie!

Tony

Well, not exactly a motor bogie....

More like a R.355 "Nellie" etc. chassis by the look of it. A coupling each end....

It could have been better to use a DMU Motor bogie? It would be shorter! ;)

Edited by Sarahagain

Christmas is coming, apparently. Maybe not for the (un)lucky recipient of this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XMAS-IS-COMING-LIMA-BRAKE-COACH-in-green-/301041229516?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item4617749ecc

Also, who on Earth would pay this for one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Golden-Syrup-Hornby-Box-Van-OO-Gauge-/231114175444?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item35cf7a73d4

If i'm right, I believe they are incorrectly fitted with a vaccum cylinder for private owner stock. I'd prefer a Bachmann plywood side van for that much money, and maybe even some change!

Did Hornby make the Golden Syrup Van?

I am thinking Aifix/GMR or Mainline...probably Mainline.

And yes, these had a vacuum cylinder....most Mainline 4-wheel stock had one as they mostly used the one chassis!

Did Hornby make the Golden Syrup Van?

I am thinking Aifix/GMR or Mainline...probably Mainline.

And yes, these had a vacuum cylinder....most Mainline 4-wheel stock had one as they mostly used the one chassis!

Think the Golden Syrup was Airfix

In any event a bit of a sticky subject!

Yes, extended to go round the Tri-ang motor bogie!

Tony

Long ago (c1971 or so), Prototype Models of card building kit fame, offered a printed styrene sheet body kit for the Sentinel intended to go over a Triang motor bogie. Is it, by any chance, one of those?

• RMweb Gold

Long ago (c1971 or so), Prototype Models of card building kit fame, offered a printed styrene sheet body kit for the Sentinel intended to go over a Triang motor bogie. Is it, by any chance, one of those?

You could well be right there Pat, looking at the roof corner in the second picture.

OK this is a good example (apart from the missing washer, distortion around the screw holes and the scratch on the sleeper) but they usually sell for 50p - £1.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-Dublo-OO-Gauge-3-Rail-Terminal-track-Curved-Nice-One-/271345360697?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item3f2d719f39

Perhaps I should sell some of mine!

Edited by Il Grifone

• RMweb Premium

Decided to move on some of my diesel stock as they were sitting around doing nothing and felt it was time to realise some cash.  Needless to say after previous experience I put 'UK Bidders Only Please' clearly in my listings as quite frankly overseas transactions and the vagaries of the Royal Mail means it is far more trouble than its worth.

Cue a message received withing twenty four hours inquiring about shipping costs to New Zealand...   :banghead:

Does nobody bother to read listings properly anymore?  :rtfm:

• RMweb Gold

......Cue a message received withing twenty four hours inquiring about shipping costs to New Zealand...   :banghead:

I've have never had any problems with RM on foreign shipping (so far..!)

I usually offer sales abroad. When I do, I ask any potential offshore buyer  "before bidding please enquire for postal availability and costs"

Seems to work....mostly...!

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Must admit I'm with Re6/6 - never had problems with RM to Oz/NZ/USA/Canada - if people from these places ask I'm happy to send (with the caveat that I ask if they're happy with lcoal postal deliveries.  RM quote anticpated delivery times to the port of entry in these countries which I find accurate enough - the local delivery can then take ages)

• Like 1

Must admit I'm with Re6/6 - never had problems with RM to Oz/NZ/USA/Canada - if people from these places ask I'm happy to send (with the caveat that I ask if they're happy with lcoal postal deliveries.  RM quote anticpated delivery times to the port of entry in these countries which I find accurate enough - the local delivery can then take ages)

The only problem I have ever had was from a shipment FROM Oz of an item purchased through the classifieds of RMWeb. The kit simply never arrived and the seller (still active) just ignores my messages........

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Decided to move on some of my diesel stock as they were sitting around doing nothing and felt it was time to realise some cash.  Needless to say after previous experience I put 'UK Bidders Only Please' clearly in my listings as quite frankly overseas transactions and the vagaries of the Royal Mail means it is far more trouble than its worth.

Cue a message received withing twenty four hours inquiring about shipping costs to New Zealand...   :banghead:

Surely the problem is with the individual, not the country they're from, in most cases? At least for countries with mail services considered no worse than Royal Mail.

But yes it can take some time for transit, but patience from both sides (along with proof of postage) always helps. Up to you though of course if you don't want to.