Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

EBay madness

Marcyg

That guy needs shutting down based on consistent misrepresentation alone, but that will never happen on eBay, even if large numbers of people point it out.

• RMweb Gold

Don't you just love the bit that says 'listing price is market value'    ?

Totally but his ebay feedback is superb.I don't know how he does it personally.

Probably because there are enough ill informed people to believe him and be satisfied with what he sells.

He is just one example of the increasing number of tradersselling stuff on ebay and not really knowing what they've got. As a result they give inaccurate and often fanciful descriptions. What I don't understand is where they get it all.

Probably because there are enough ill informed people to believe him and be satisfied with what he sells.

He is just one example of the increasing number of tradersselling stuff on ebay and not really knowing what they've got. As a result they give inaccurate and often fanciful descriptions. What I don't understand is where they get it all.

House clearances/deceased estates, mainly. And, sadly.

Don't you just love the bit that says 'listing price is market value'    ?

He also notes that 'many' of his items have been discontinued. I can't tell which ones, though, given that I don't have a copy of the current Triang catalogue...

• RMweb Premium

What a [admin removed comment]

Does he actually sell any of the stuff that is highlighted in this thread?

Totally but his ebay feedback is superb.I don't know how he does it personally.

I get the impression that the items that sell (and thus give him his feedback) aren't the headline items that we keep taking the p** out of on here.

I think he does know what he's got and describes it "appropriately" to sell to the ill-informed as you say.

Cheers,

Mick

There are many traders who know nothing about railway modelling selling on Ebay. If you ask a simple question like; "Which motor is fitted?", they cannot answer. They choose their prices by looking at other items on Ebay and adjusting up or down. What they don't seem to realise is that items that remain on Ebay for long periods are those that are priced too high.

Their ignorance can lead to benefits, as I know of wrongly described items that resulted in bargains for people.

Thane of Fife

The ignorance led to me getting a Class 166 (in NSE livery rather than FGW) for what I think a second-hand & unboxed DMU is worth, i.e. just under £80.  Mind you I did get a brand new & boxed Cross Country Class 220 from a well known box shifter for about the same in a sale.

Does he actually sell any of the stuff that is highlighted in this thread?

I get the impression that the items that sell (and thus give him his feedback) aren't the headline items that we keep taking the p** out of on here.

I think he does know what he's got and describes it "appropriately" to sell to the ill-informed as you say.

Cheers,

Mick

Hi MIck,

I think you are right about Greaturd, it was some of the others I had in mind, A badly finished LNWR carriage described as GWR, a LNWR loco with a MR/NER tender (hard to tell it was rather poorly finished but definitely not LNWR), such items as those. And these were just from a few I looked at from regular LNWR search and "finescale searches (the latter produces many "howlers".

Jol

I have seen white metal items described as brass. Is it an honest mistake or an attempt to mislead?

Finescale only seems to be used by those who do not understand what it means.

I saw an A5 scratchbuild, which was obviously built from wood with little detail, described as Finescale Kit built.

I have seen Kirk coaches described as brass, presumably to con viewers into thinking they were D&S models.

A lot of models seem to be advertised as powered by Romford Bulldog motors, which sounds better than Hornby XO4 motors.

Thane of fife

I have just spotted a collection of ten Kirk coaches advvertised as a "Ten coach set" in fine condition with loose steps etc for £849.50.

You can easily guess the vendor.

If these coaches really are valued at £84 each then I'd better increase my insurance as my coach collection is worth over £3000.

Thane of Fife

I have just spotted a collection of ten Kirk coaches advvertised as a "Ten coach set" in fine condition with loose steps etc for £849.50.

You can easily guess the vendor.

If these coaches really are valued at £84 each then I'd better increase my insurance as my coach collection is worth over £3000.

Thane of Fife

Described as Mint. If Mint should they not be still in their packets, un-built.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IAN-KIRK-KIT-BUILT-OO-GAUGE-LNER-TEAK-GRESLEY-10-COACH-SET-MINT-mz-/371041091256

Edited by andytrains
  • Like 1

The sad thing is that some people are taken in by these misleading adverts.

There was a old Kay's streamlined P2 named Cock 'o the North, which was fitted with small Romford wheels (22mm or 23mm), and no brake gear, instead of the correct 24.7mm wheels and was attached to a streamlined tender, which was never fitted to Cock 'o the North. This incorrect loco was advertised as perfect etc built by a professional. It was priced at over £500, and I presume it sold as it disappeared from the dealer's listing.

I have one of the old Kay's P2's, for which I've built a new chassis with a Mashima motor and Markits RP25 wheels (which only just clear), added brake gear and named it Mons Meg (the Kay's kit only suited Mons Meg and Lord President). Perhaps I should advertise it at £600 pointing out the inaccuracies that I've corrected. However, I'll think I'll keep it as it will go with the Hornby Cock 'o the North when it finally is released.

As Abraham Lincoln said; "You can fool some of the people all of the time".

Thane of fife

• RMweb Premium

Hmmmmm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-OO-GAUGE-R4180-BR-61FT-6IN-CORRIDOR-3RD-CLASS-COACH-E12506E-/321392477065?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item4ad47c0389

Surely the fact that the running number on the box doesnt match the one on the coach suggests an error?

Just spotted this one myself I think that is lowest of low I've seen on eBay in some time.

Edit: Just spotted the seller I've been conned by him before in regards to a shiny M.I.B Hornby A4 Silver LInk. The poor excuse of  a silver turd he sent me had clearly been dropped did not run and the chassis was glued into the body. Two weeks after I sent it back he had the nerve to sell it again it went for 60% more than what I paid for it and the description was even less accurate second time round.

Edited by Boco_D1

That guy needs shutting down based on consistent misrepresentation alone, but that will never happen on eBay, even if large numbers of people point it out.

I got an original Airfix BR suburbun from him { better then the new Dapol model IMO } boxed and as new for £12.00 free p&p well pleased with the buy

Vectis auctions is one source. The eBay traders buy the large lots and sell the contents individually.

Mike Wiltshire

For what its worth my enjoyment of model railways is in using a photo program to enhance pictures of models, having serious multiple injuries, wheelchair-bound and with only one hand working, and I have for a long time endured the 'it's not real modelling' reaction. But I didn't realise my pictures were so unwelcome.

Some, nay many, people havent got the ability to spice up the photos as you do robmcg. Carry on with it.

• Like 1

Vectis auctions is one source. The eBay traders buy the large lots and sell the contents individually.

I recently saw a job lot at a toy auction. However, the set that I was interested in was not complete so I did not bid. It then reappeared on Ebay, posted by one of the regular dealers. I don't think he made any profit, because it sold cheaply.

Auction houses like people who do not know their subject.

Thane of fife