RMweb

EBay madness

Marcyg

Now I must admit to a bit of a bias here.

Why is it people take so much time and effort to get a layout "right".

The station is right, track , locos, stock, even the road vehicles have to be "right" (even if many don't have drivers! Another subject...)

BUT they build a canal, and plonk a souvenir present "Narrow Boat" on it. Something that is definitely NOT to scale, and bears only a passing resemblance to anything afloat ...It is meant to represent a Hotel Boat, a present day type at that. (The first Hotel Boats were around the later 1960s I think...)

Also, it is meant to be full depth. you can see the "propeller"!

This seller is adding insult to injury...this is NOT a resin Skaledale model. (Yes, there was the so-called "Butty Boat" that Hornby released a few years ago, which is not a Butty, but a semblance of a Steam Powered Carrying Boat, the sort that went out of use in the 1920s. Fellows, Morton, & Clayton Limited was a real user of these.)

The seller says it is made of wood, but for OO scale! :nono:

A real Narrow Boat is 70 feet long by 7 feet beam....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-SKALEDALE-Leonardo-LP1095-00-Gauge-Canal-Boat-Narrow-Boat-Tours/351202124028?_trksid=p5411.c100169.m2942&_trkparms=aid%3D555012%26algo%3DPW.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140131123815%26meid%3Ddea41d0fc325411fbfe6ae423dfdde66%26pid%3D100169%26prg%3D20140131123815%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D311129171352

A 4mm-1ft scale Motor Carrying Boat. Made from a Craftline Models Balsa Wood Kit. (Readily available I think...)

gallery_12119_2885_110957.jpg

And the same boat crossing the Aqueduct at Ffrwd...

gallery_12119_2885_216831.jpg

Edited by Sarahagain
  • Like 3

Perhaps I'm getting old, but I don't consider paying £50 for something that is broken as a "bargain" particularly as they don't give you a clue as to what may be broken ?

Now I must admit to a bit of a bias here.

Why is it people take so much time and effort to get a layout "right".

The station is right, track , locos, stock, even the road vehicles have to be "right" (even if many don't have drivers! Another subject...)

BUT they build a canal, and plonk a souvenir present "Narrow Boat" on it. Something that is definitely NOT to scale, and bears only a passing resemblance to anything afloat ...It is meant to represent a Hotel Boat, a present day type at that. (The first Hotel Boats were around the later 1960s I think...)

Also, it is meant to be full depth. you can see the "propeller"!

This seller is adding insult to injury...this is NOT a resin Skaledale model. (Yes, there was the so-called "Butty Boat" that Hornby released a few years ago, which is not a Butty, but a semblance of a Steam Powered Carrying Boat, the sort that went out of use in the 1920s. Fellows, Morton, & Clayton Limited was a real user of these.)

The seller says it is made of wood, but for OO scale! :nono:

A real Narrow Boat is 70 feet long by 7 feet beam....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-SKALEDALE-Leonardo-LP1095-00-Gauge-Canal-Boat-Narrow-Boat-Tours/351202124028?_trksid=p5411.c100169.m2942&_trkparms=aid%3D555012%26algo%3DPW.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140131123815%26meid%3Ddea41d0fc325411fbfe6ae423dfdde66%26pid%3D100169%26prg%3D20140131123815%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D311129171352

A 4mm-1ft scale Motor Carrying Boat. Made from a Craftline Models Balsa Wood Kit. (Readily available I think...)

gallery_12119_2885_110957.jpg

I am forced to admit to owning one of those wooden 'narrow boats' as offered for sale. In my defence* I only paid 50p for her in a charity shop. I had some idea about a canal, but it decorates the top of the cable TV box (more interesting than the programmes*!) Mine has blue panels instead of red. Seeing it's apparently worth £6 + p&p (at the moment) perhaps I should shove it on eBay too! It measures slightly under 70' x 7', but near enough 4mm considering how crude it is (and no worse than some past offerings from the railway trade). Converting her to a 'water-line' model would require careful work with a saw......

* Firefox spell checker suggests these should be spelt 'defense' and 'programs' ????? Soon put it right!

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If that was a kit, I'd want my money back..............

Cheers,

Mick

OMG!

I wonder if the Scratch Built Wooden Box is the excellent work..........

I know this seller and they have had some really nice stuff but this is terrible.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Not sure if this is madness but with the wishlist season almost upon us here's a preview of a much-requested item:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KIT-BUILT-OO-GAUGE-4-8-4-EXPERIMENTAL-FELL-DIESEL-LOCOMOTIVE-/141445303000?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item20eecc0ad8

"lots of detail under the rather thick pain job"

In this case the typo (pain) is probably more accruate than the intended word (paint).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Justify? Whose justifying anything? Their offering it as a starting point in an action. Potential bidders can bid for it if they are so inclined. Personally, I think its overpriced for the problems with it (aside from the fact its to N scale).

• RMweb Premium

The old coach on blocks reminds me of an old guards van (steel bodied) that a club of mine owns. A retired engineer within the club, soon after spotting it went home & did some calculations. He came to the conclusion that it 'could blow away'. When challenged by being asked how come it didn't blow away in normal service, only to be told, 'because it was attached to bogies'! No further questions were asked!

• Like 1

Justify? Whose justifying anything? Their offering it as a starting point in an action. Potential bidders can bid for it if they are so inclined. Personally, I think its overpriced for the problems with it (aside from the fact its to N scale).

Well, the whole point of advertising something for sale is to sell it - so if you advertise it at a vastly inflated price it's not likely to sell! Therefore the price needs to be justified - i.e. reasonable for what it is.

It's not an auction - it's a buy it now price and although it is open for offers, the number of Rails ads on ebay with 'x offers declined' suggests that they probably don't accept much below the asking price.

Surely that's their privilege? As with Gostude et al there seem to be many buyers who are satisfied with their prices and service. It's annoying it if you wanted it for less, but there was someone else prepared to pay more.

• RMweb Premium

Thing is, whilst there will always be muppets out there willing to pay that amount for rubbish, these rip-off merchants will continue to sell it for such amounts!

• RMweb Gold

Well, the whole point of advertising something for sale is to sell it - so if you advertise it at a vastly inflated price it's not likely to sell! Therefore the price needs to be justified - i.e. reasonable for what it is.

It's not an auction - it's a buy it now price and although it is open for offers, the number of Rails ads on ebay with 'x offers declined' suggests that they probably don't accept much below the asking price.

When I have made an offer on a Rails item I find the best offer excepted is about £10 less then the asking price below that the norm is a automatic declined notice

When I have made an offer on a Rails item I find the best offer excepted is about £10 less then the asking price below that the norm is a automatic declined notice

I put in a bid to them a couple of weeks ago for £12 for a BIN Bachmann Bulleid composite coach going for £14.50 - it wasn't in mint condition but I only wanted the interior for a Comet Bulleid coach I have just completed. They never responded and so the offer expired.

So rather aggrieved at the rudeness of a lack of any response at all I put in a follow up bid of just £10. This time they did respond with a counter bid of £14. Being bloody minded I declined! Still looking for a Bulleid composite interior!!