EBay madness

Marcyg

Hi,

Another example of how these idiots fail to do their research.

The loco is clearly in green livery. This sort of rubbish churned out by fools looking for profit is just what brings our hobby into disrepute.

Regards

When and how exactly was "our hobby" IN repute? :jester:

Andy

Had a quick scan back over the last couple of pages and not seen it mentioned, but has anyone else seen what must be the worlds most exclusive Hornby 86?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REPAINTED-DETAILED-Hornby-R367-BR-EXECUTIVE-LIVERY-CLASS-86-ROYAL-MAIL-MID-/371253357035?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item56706ca9eb

lost for words on the buy it now price. Check out the Pantograph.....

• RMweb Gold

Had a quick scan back over the last couple of pages and not seen it mentioned, but has anyone else seen what must be the worlds most exclusive Hornby 86?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REPAINTED-DETAILED-Hornby-R367-BR-EXECUTIVE-LIVERY-CLASS-86-ROYAL-MAIL-MID-/371253357035?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item56706ca9eb

A serial offender for stupid prices, though I have to say that I did buy a nice little Swiss loco from them for a reasonable c£50.

I just don't understand their business model.

• RMweb Premium

A serial offender for stupid prices, though I have to say that I did buy a nice little Swiss loco from them for a reasonable c£50.

I just don't understand their business model.

I'm afraid I do. Some time ago I noticed one of his models with a slipped decimal point leading to an outrageous price. I contacted the chap, said I assumed it was a genuine mistake and let him know that on the upside it had at least garnered a lot of interest here on RMweb. Since then these 'mistakes' have become depressingly frequent, and perhaps counter productive. Given that he does nice models at reasonable prices, these frequent 'mistakes' might begin to detract from his reputation. Maybe he looks in here to see how effective his strategy is? Maybe I should contact him again in case he doesn't? 

I'm afraid I do. Some time ago I noticed one of his models with a slipped decimal point leading to an outrageous price. I contacted the chap, said I assumed it was a genuine mistake and let him know that on the upside it had at least garnered a lot of interest here on RMweb. Since then these 'mistakes' have become depressingly frequent, and perhaps counter productive. Given that he does nice models at reasonable prices, these frequent 'mistakes' might begin to detract from his reputation. Maybe he looks in here to see how effective his strategy is? Maybe I should contact him again in case he doesn't?

Given your original tactical error, I surmise that there might be further unintended consequences if you do!!

• Like 2

Not ebay, but here's a 1970's vintage, Tri-ang / Hornby 16 tonner, in a Lima HO scale box and the seller clearly doesn't realise, or hasn't checked what they are selling 

http://www.ehattons.com/106157/Lima_2822Lima_LN_Mineral_Wagon_in_BR_Grey_Pre_owned_Like_new/StockDetail.aspx

A bit worrying from a big dealer!

It is rather obvious, as the LIMA HO models were fitted with european couplings, smaller, and was there actually a LIMA HO BR 16 tonner?

OK, it probably doesn't say "Hornby" on the underframe....but it most probably DOES say "Made In England"....LIMA was made in Italy! ;)

Have you let them know?......

Either you did not check back far enough, or you have the memory of a goldfish, as that particular item makes regular appearances within this thread !!.  

No Lima H0 Steel 16T mineral, only an RCH 12/13T wooden one.

It always says Tri-ang and/or Hornby somewhere! Come to that it always says Lima on their products too.

It always said "Tri-ang Made in England" on the underside of the body when the chassis was die-cast and the body underside could be seen....

In 1963 the plastic chassis was introduced, and the base of the body could no longer be seen....

The original plastic chassis had "Tri-ang Made in England" on the underside....

The "Tri-ang" was removed around 1965, with the Tri-ang Hornby "Amalgamation" and the selling around this time of some "un-branded" toy train sets....the "Tri-ang" was also removed from the Super 4 track at this time....

I think this wagon would be on a "Made in England" on the underside chassis.

"Hornby" branded chassis came later and I think were a different design?

gallery_12119_2911_122421.jpg

Edited by Sarahagain

There could well be no maker's name on the later Tri-ang plastic underframe - all my examples of this horror have ended up in the bin!

(The later ones aren't much better! - My (un)favourite is the clasp brake, vacuum fitted 'Midlandish' one with the wooden solebars - one survives under a MSV (for now*). I was going to detail it but decided it wasn't worth the effort (dimensionally challenged).

* Putting it on eBay is a waste of time - Boot Sale? (Might get 50p for it!)

Tried to 'quote', but that isn't working now......  :scratchhead:

• Like 1

Sorry, not madness, but I couldn't resist this fully accurate description :jester:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7mm-scale-for-O-gauge-Pile-of-junk-for-the-corner-of-the-layout-/311306752883?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item487b541373

Described as 'used' but then it would have to be, wouldn't it ?

That's not a pile of junk, that's a heavily weathered scrapyard loco.

• RMweb Premium

(The later ones aren't much better! - My (un)favourite is the clasp brake, vacuum fitted 'Midlandish' one with the wooden solebars - one survives under a MSV (for now*). I was going to detail it but decided it wasn't worth the effort (dimensionally challenged).

I may be wrong but I think that underframe was based on an NER type, used on fish vans c1911. I don't think Hornby ever produced the matching van body. It includes the curb rail, so all the Hornby bodies mounted on it effectively had 2 floors.

Pete

• Like 1

Further to the above post, it does indeed appear to be the NER underframe. I was going by the short brake lever and passing resemblance to an MR underframe (Meat van IIRC). The rectangular number plate is also reminiscent of the Midland.

It looks very out of place under an MSV!