EBay madness

Marcyg

For some reason I cant add a link to the item, so, search for Hornby M7 and look for the loco that's been drizzled in PVA or some such.

How to mess up a good loco.

• RMweb Premium

This one perchance:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-CLASS-M7-4-4-0-BR-BLACK-TANK-STEAM-LOCOMOTIVE-MODEL-R2506-/121585317804?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c4f0cb7ac

Distressed it certainly is...

Amused by the disclaimer in the description which basically says if it isn't as described it is the buyers own fault for not agreeing with the seller as to its advertised condition!!

Edited by John M Upton

• RMweb Gold

At a much more realistic price, there may be someone out there who would want it, otherwise it will probably end up at the dump.

Unless they are exceptional, layouts seem very hard to sell.

Possibly as they do not ship easily (require a local pick up) - often require dismantling (in 'foreign' surroundings) - are for sale at unrealistic expectations (pride and joy vs issues) - usually lack any stock (also sold separately at inflated prices) - the good examples get sold through other channels (who you know, nod nod) - do not come up very often - are often sold when tired or run down and require almost as much effort as building a new one (no wiring diagram, worn out mechanics, etc)

• RMweb Gold

At a much more realistic price, there may be someone out there who would want it, otherwise it will probably end up at the dump.

Main problem that I can see is that it was not built with taking apart in mind. To get it into portions small enough to remove from the loft would leave little of value undamaged.

Depending on how it's laid you could probably salvage most of the track and points. Nothing's said about the electrics but there might be a couple of decent controllers and a bag of point motors and switches. It probably wouldn't be too hard to remove the better buildings intact. The board themselves are likely to be firewood, although if you had time to muck about there might be some reasonable framing to be had. All up you might end up ahead, given the starting price, but at the cost of a fairly significant effort.

Depending on how it's laid you could probably salvage most of the track and points. Nothing's said about the electrics but there might be a couple of decent controllers and a bag of point motors and switches. It probably wouldn't be too hard to remove the better buildings intact. The board themselves are likely to be firewood, although if you had time to muck about there might be some reasonable framing to be had. All up you might end up ahead, given the starting price, but at the cost of a fairly significant effort.

I wonder what he (and his wife?) would think if I turned up on the doorsetep with an axe, a chain saw and a sledge hammer :butcher:

.....Unless they are exceptional, layouts seem very hard to sell.

I seem to recall that "Ambergate" was bought via eBay for a trivial sum, either £150 or £400, depending on which source you've been reading.

Cheaper than a Series 2 Citroen CX with a duff head gasket.

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 1

This one perchance:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-CLASS-M7-4-4-0-BR-BLACK-TANK-STEAM-LOCOMOTIVE-MODEL-R2506-/121585317804?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c4f0cb7ac

Distressed it certainly is...

Amused by the disclaimer in the description which basically says if it isn't as described it is the buyers own fault for not agreeing with the seller as to its advertised condition!!

Plus a J39 in similar condition from the same seller. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-LNER-CLASS-J39-0-6-0-BR-BLACK-no-64960-STEAM-LOCOMOTIVE-MODEL-31-854-/121585329307?

pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1c4f0ce49b

On the subject of selling layouts, my club sold two 00 layouts, the older with code 100 track and built on 2x1 frame with chipboard tops went for silly high money and the 00 one with handbuilt track and better constructed baseboards went for a low price in my opinion. Just does not make any sense to me.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I wonder what he (and his wife?) would think if I turned up on the doorsetep with an axe, a chain saw and a sledge hammer :butcher:

Probably "Oh no. Not Kenton again"

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261793068507?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261793065049?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Someone seems to have a LT fetish

Woke this morning to an apologetic message from the seller promising to remove the watches from sale. Seems to have been caught out by an iffy supplier.

So how did you tell it was a fake? It just looks like a cheapo Casio to me.

It's noticeably cheaper built than a cheapo Casio. A real Casio is still comfortable to wear. This is made from cheap materials with moulding flash and is very uncomfortable to wear.

A real Casio is all the watch you ever need. This one is just nasty.

However it does have a nice feature that the backlight is an RGB LED and can be set to loads of different colours.

....A real Casio is all the watch you ever need. ....

I had two when I was in school in the '80s - one which played several tunes, and a TC-50 "touch sensitive" calculator watch.

casio-tc-50.jpg

Casio aren't very good at supporting their old classics, as I found out when the touch sensitive screen became scratched; they told me they no longer made any spares for it. It's still in a drawer, waiting for the off-chance that I can acquire and cannibalise another TC-50 to repair it.

Unfortunately I developed a skin allergy to any form of watches or jewellery, so haven't worn a watch for at least two decades.

Edited by Horsetan

• RMweb Premium

Not railways, but I just bought this off eBay

It's a fake.

Who the hell fakes an F-91 ?!

Real ones are seven quid.

attachicon.gifCasioFake.jpg

That looks exactly like the ones they used to make 30 years ago!

I had one and the mech worked fine but the plastic strap self destructed after some years.

Keith