EBay madness

Marcyg

.... Why is anything FGW/GWT priced, at most, 5 times the original price. 

Possibly because no other manufacturer except Hornby has been brave / stupid enough to have a go at rendering the FGW livery / graphics? I seem to recall discussion elsewhere on this Forum which basically said that reproducing the graduated shading was difficult and expensive. That, plus the vagaries of production runs, makes them supposedly hard to get stocks of.

Might have said this before in the past, and I will say it again. Why is anything FGW/GWT priced, at most, 5 times the original price. 

Possibly because no other manufacturer except Hornby has been brave / stupid enough to have a go at rendering the FGW livery / graphics? I seem to recall discussion elsewhere on this Forum which basically said that reproducing the graduated shading was difficult and expensive. That, plus the vagaries of production runs, makes them supposedly hard to get stocks of.

I am after a Class 166 in FGW livery and had an email from Bachmann Customer Services to say exactly that.  They currently have no plans to produce one.

I managed to track down one of the original FGW 166s brand new at a model chop in Christchurch, NZ, where The Long Haired Controller's family live.  Her brother offered to buy it and bring it over, but I was having a cash flow problem at the time having bought a new house and couldn't afford the £160 it would have cost me.  Blasted thing now sold...

Silly thing is the idea of buying one was to amuse my boy, as he loves the Cross Country 220 I bought for us (even though he's never traveled on one) and these are, along with HSTs the trains he used to see most often.  However he is happy running a great mish-mash of locomotives and stock, so really it's me who has the desire for one now!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

With acknowledgement to the New Railway Modellers Forum for this one.  OK it's one of our usual suspects but worthy of a mention all the same......

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-32-116A-DCC-SOUND-BR-0-6-0-CLASS-08-DIESEL-SHUNTER-LOCO-D3986-COACH-p-/371286126127?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item567260ae2f#ht_1037wt_1141

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

With acknowledgement to the New Railway Modellers Forum for this one.  OK it's one of our usual suspects but worthy of a mention all the same......

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-32-116A-DCC-SOUND-BR-0-6-0-CLASS-08-DIESEL-SHUNTER-LOCO-D3986-COACH-p-/371286126127?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item567260ae2f#ht_1037wt_1141

Fascinating! So to prevent the shunter stalling it's hard-wired to a MK1 full brake? What was wrong with a shunter's truck?

Aah our old "Fagan" of ebay .... is the item kitbuilt ? everything else RTR that he sells is normally Kitbuilt as well.

• RMweb Gold

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/107-DRIED-TEA-BAGS-CONTAINING-TEA-LEAVES-FOR-BALLASTING-TRACK-/251899215931?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3aa65d003b

Or you could make tea with them, I suppose ....?  :jester:

PS used them for years until I could afford 'real' ballast   :declare:

..and I was eating my lunch!

They look disgusting. One wonders where they've been...uurgh...!

• RMweb Gold

If you include postage, you could probably buy 160 tea bags at the supermarket, guaranteed unused, for the same cost.

Dennis

Yes, but when you take labour costs into account ..........