EBay madness

Marcyg

Even a famous tank engine, has locos & everything else that look like 'proper trains'. Indeed I would suggest that is a significant part of the success of the books, models and rest of the franchised products.

Full marks to Britt Allcroft for recognising this and INSISTING that the quality be maintained. Yes I know that sometimes the various copyright holders have been a bit harsh, on unlicenced copyright infringers, but overall, its a most consistent brand.

I think it was actually the Rev. W. Awdry that insisted that the details were correct!

At the time, it was said that just about everything that happens in the stories DID happpen somewhere, sometime...

OK, not exactly Locos and Stock talking in English....but locos falling down holes, and other things, yes!

The artists were, after Dalby, the first artist, good at getting some realism into the pictures, partly by using real life photos and the Authors model collection as, models for the paintings.

I cannot vouch for the later books, as I have only seen the Revs. books. Not his son Christopher Awdry's ones (yet!)....

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I think it was actually the Rev. W. Awdry that insisted that the details were correct!

At the time, it was said that just about everything that happens in the stories DID happpen somewhere, sometime...

Yes, the Rev didn't have a great imagination so when pestered by his son for stories drew on real life (variously his own experiences and events he could remember having seen in the press etc).  IIUC all the original 23 stories can be decoded/attributed thus?

• RMweb Premium

Let's paint it yellow......

Which Class 20 is  " a pretty close match to the actual Class 20 in operation." ?

Looks like this seller also converts stuff to 3-rail operation. I wonder what gravity fed plungers are?

Cheers,

Mick

Quote "All my loco projects are sold with a ‘GMR Models’ Purchase Certificate of Authenticity." !

Authenticity to what?

Keith

Let's paint it yellow......

Which Class 20 is  " a pretty close match to the actual Class 20 in operation." ?

Looks like this seller also converts stuff to 3-rail operation. I wonder what gravity fed plungers are?

Cheers,

Mick

Seeing "GMR models" I thought the 31 was Airfix, but she turns out to be the Tri-ang model. Surely the 'front' of a Diesel is the 'A'  end? The motor bogie is at the 'B' (where it works best at train pulling according to her manufacturers (and experience - about a coach) - there's no haulage power to throw away with Tri-ang locos and Dublo rolling stock. Why is it necessary to light the cab? It needs to be dark, so that the crew can see out, surely?

Pedantry over, it's not badly done and the start price was not high at 99p.

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

Seems a fair price to me, for a kit which is highly sought after and will, with all likelihood, never be available in 4mm again. 

Paul A. 

Talk of the devil (see post #15877) and........

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Unknown-Deisel-Loco-oo-Gauge/151735837635?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D30775%26meid%3D847abd56eaa247f49b3362eae2453f60%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D351446498217&rt=nc

I didn't pay anything like £20 for mine.......

(The "kaydee type coupling" is of course an X2f.)

I not sure whether it's supposed to be an F7 or an F9 (not that there is much difference) I also have a Marx F3A, which has a strong family resemblance (i.e. she probably came from the same factory in Hong Kong). (This originally had belt drive powered by a cr@ppy can motor and two short (very) stainless steel coaches (passenger and observation car.)

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Quote "All my loco projects are sold with a ‘GMR Models’ Purchase Certificate of Authenticity." !

Otherwise known as a "receipt".............

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

Talk of the devil (see post #15877) and........

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Unknown-Deisel-Loco-oo-Gauge/151735837635?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D30775%26meid%3D847abd56eaa247f49b3362eae2453f60%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D351446498217&rt=nc

I didn't pay anything like £20 for mine.......

(The "kaydee type coupling" is of course an X2f.)

I not sure whether it's supposed to be an F7 or an F9 (not that there is much difference) I also have a Marx F3A, which has a strong family resemblance (i.e. she probably came from the same factory in Hong Kong). (This originally had belt drive powered by a cr@ppy can motor and two short (very) stainless steel coaches (passenger and observation car.)

I suspect that the price should be minus £15 so that the buyer actually sends you the loco wrapped up in a £10 note.

Sorry, I forgot the bit about the honey ...........

• RMweb Premium

Why would anybody be interested in where it came from?

So you can brace yourself for the balance of the 'large collection'. Probably keep this sub topic going for a while!

• RMweb Premium

Pedantry over, it's not badly done and the start price was not high at 99p.

Quite. It will sell for what it sells for...and why not? It does seem to be done fairly well, though if someone wishes to sell it on I'm not sure how much the "certificate of authenticity" will add to the price.

Maybe certificates are the next big thing? Makes a change from the @@@pro weathered@@@ look...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

From the look of the box it's been dropped onto a corner!

As the price asked is of a "collectable" and "brand new" I would expect a mint box.

Keith

What do you expect for a mere £395?

Now if it had all of its corners complete I'm sure it would be worth at least twice that...

Further to the Life-Like American stock in BR Blue, 'our friend' from the Lakes has this gem

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LIFE-LIKE-No-1323-SANDY-BOTTOM-LONDON-GONDOLA-VN-MIB-/400742812921?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5d4e220cf9

I'll comment no further apart from this  :jester:  (Applies to the price too! I would suggest removing at least the seven!)

EDIT

He has some Athearn freight cars too, at more than what they cost new. (These at least are "Kit built*" unlike the above).

* If you can call a 'shake the box' model a kit.
Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 2