EBay madness

Marcyg

As a change from all the weird descriptions and prices how's this for refreshing honesty.

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...511313594741131

Bernard

Apart from his aversion to punctuation and capital letters, which make his description very hard to read, you're right - you could hardly accuse him of trying to hide anything.

That's exactly the sort of seller I'd consider buying from. Such a nice change from the "this is old, therefore rare, therefore valuable, therefore don't waste my time with a low offer" brigade which seem to have sprung up in recent times.

He has 91 items listed, all at pretty steep prices it would seem to me. And to others also as the total number of bids is 0....

I know this guy does seem to buy up bulk amounts of limited editions and then proceeds to make good profits on them "if he can sell them", But 18 TPO's is a big big big collection of this model, no wonder people can't get hold of "a" certain model, I suppose there will be people who will come on here and say "good luck to him, fill yer boots and all that", but in reality this is pure selfishness and greed.

I have no idea how much these two locos would cost new, but he didn't seem to do too badly out of them as spares/repairs non-runners... :)

Its no wonder people can't get hold off Red Bachmann TPO's this bloke has 18 listed on ebay !!!!!

Seller info

Member ID waverleydeltic ( Feedback score of 788iconPurpleStar_25x25.gif) 190443818522

Make of it what you will.

I've followed this guy before, he buys up "Ltd Editions" from the likes of Modelzone, Model Rail etc and puts a third on... simple business model!

To be fair I've bought a couple of items from him when I've been desperate and the service has been very good.

Glad I snapped up my TPOs for the list price of £30, moral of course being is that if something you fancy is a "Ltd Edition", buy it asap....

In the Middle Ages the practice of buying up stocks (usually of food) to raise the price was a crime known as engrossing. It was punishable by fines, or the pillory for repeated offences. Hmmm!

It goes on quite a lot - anyone remember those Bachy 158s in a "unique" Scotrail livery that were on sale at some show, they were bought up in armfuls by some buyers, only to appear on eBay later at vastly inflated prices...

Stocks? - too good for them I say!

• RMweb Premium

It goes on quite a lot - anyone remember those Bachy 158s in a "unique" Scotrail livery that were on sale at some show, they were bought up in armfuls by some buyers, only to appear on eBay later at vastly inflated prices...

Stocks? - too good for them I say!

That was the same bloke, WaverleyDeltic and boy was there a right stink about it at the time. I believe he was one of the first through the door at the show, bought up a huge pile of them and left many who had gone there specifically to buy one leaving disappointed not to mention furious.

One thing I noticed once after returning from an Ally Pally show a few years ago was Bachmann items being listed on Ebay that same afternoon/evening that were absolutely identical to the items on their cheap returns table earlier that morning, only of course with a serious mark up on them of course. They had the damage where the labels had been torn off and everything!

• RMweb Gold

That was the same bloke, WaverleyDeltic and boy was there a right stink about it at the time. I believe he was one of the first through the door at the show, bought up a huge pile of them and left many who had gone there specifically to buy one leaving disappointed not to mention furious.

The people who sold them all to one person must surely have something to answer for as well.

• RMweb Premium

Can a limited edition of an item commissioned by a retailer be described as new when bought from some body else? To me it has to be second hand. Unopened and/or unused possibly but it strictly has by definition to be second hand.

Bernard

Can a limited edition of an item commissioned by a retailer be described as new when bought from some body else? To me it has to be second hand. Unopened and/or unused possibly but it strictly has by definition to be second hand.

There seems to be lot of limited editions commissioned by one retailer being sold by another (ie Frizingall to TMC, various to Hattons or Rails) also what about all those older models (largely Die-Casts) that Hattons keep on acquiring presumably from closed down shops or shops reducing stocks - they are all taken to be new.

The stock sold cheaply by Hattons is "surplus" or left over stock. The situation should ease now as the numbers of Gorgi produced has been cut back drastically. As for "limited editions" that is another hotly debated subject, my own personal opinion is that they should not be done at all but as I say that is my own view. if none were made it would end all the "ebay madness".

• RMweb Gold

As for "limited editions" ..................., my own personal opinion is that they should not be done at all but as I say that is my own view. if none were made it would end all the "ebay madness".

It might reduce but I doubt it would end. Just browse back through this very thread to see lots of "ebay madness" examples that do not involve limited editions.