EBay madness

Marcyg

Anyone want a red 'Mallard'?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-Hornby-Dublo-Mallard-In-RED-4-6-2-3-Rail-Loco-Engine-Boxed-Good-Runner-/162340554375

No? Thought Not.....

Under the red, she is clearly blue and thus originally was 'Sir Nigel Gresley'. The real 'Mallard' always had a double chimney of course, as did the Dublo model, which was always BR green.

For once "rare" is correct. It's unlikely there's another one like this....

Considering I got a perfectly ok and non-muckedaboutwith Silver King for less than half that a few months back, I think the seller's being a bit optimistic.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-Hornby-Dublo-Mallard-In-RED-4-6-2-3-Rail-Loco-Engine-Boxed-Good-Runner-/162340554375

No? Thought Not.....

Under the red, she is clearly blue and thus originally was 'Sir Nigel Gresley'. The real 'Mallard' always had a double chimney of course, as did the Dublo model, which was always BR green.

A shame really....the Boxes are also for the "real" Dublo 3-rail Mallard loco and BR livery Tender.....so not "original" for this rare loco.

I do like the Suppressor Capacitor though! ;) Very Vintage....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

No? Thought Not.....

Perhaps if he starts his auction at a sensible £0.99 he just might sell it for a few quid as a renovation job. Also who on earth would want to start bidding at £75 for that.

• RMweb Premium

A shame really....the Boxes are also for the "real" Dublo 3-rail Mallard loco and BR livery Tender.....so not "original" for this rare loco.

I like the way it's described as "remote control" (i.e. not clockwork?)

I like the way it's described as "remote control" (i.e. not clockwork?)

It would indeed be 'not clockwork' as there was a clockwork version of the Dublo A4 (and N2) when the model first appeared in 1938. It didn't survive the war but the 'remote control' did.

I think it was also a sly dig at Trix whose A.C. sequential reverser was less than 100% reliable. They did make the point that 'FORWARD' on the controller meant forward and 'REVERSE' meant reverse.

Edited by Il Grifone

Some Dublo locos had these rather than the usual tubular wax covered object*. It looks like a high quality silver mica capacitor (or is that condenser seeing its age :)  ) under the wax, not that it makes much difference when used as a suppressor. IIRC the original price of a 'Gresley' was 59/6 plus another 10/6 for the tender.

She was rather cheaper than a Duchess which was a shade over £4 for engine and tender - 82/2d IIRC. I have vague recollections of mum and dad being condoned the odd pence when they bought my 'Montrose' in 1953. (At nearly seven I didn't believe in Father Christmas any more....)

* Probably Meccano Ltd, had to source their components where they could seeing the precarious supply situation at the time.

Strangely the red Mallard didn't sell. I can't imagine why....

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Not sure if it's Ebay Madness or just Mad Modelling...

"Unfinished Project"

I saved the picture for after the item ends...

OMG%20Hymek_zps7cxqalen.jpg

:O  :jester: and it's actually got a bid...!!!

.That looks like "Mater" from Cars

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/worldofcarsdrivein/images/e/ee/Mater.png/revision/latest?cb=20111006091530

Cheers,

Mick

Not sure if it's Ebay Madness or just Mad Modelling...

"Unfinished Project"

I saved the picture for after the item ends...

OMG%20Hymek_zps7cxqalen.jpg

:O  :jester: and it's actually got a bid...!!!

I'm intrigued that a hacked up Blue Flyer is considered (by someone) to be worth the thick end of 30 quid plus postage. I know they can be a useful basis for conversion and formed the mainstay of the budget 0 gauge world 30-40 years ago, but their main virtues were their body moulding and their cheapness, neither of which seem to apply here.

Edited by PatB

He does not even have the items he is selling   -  "This item is obtained direct from the respective publishers/suppliers. We do not sell second hand products."

Tony

• RMweb Gold

He does not even have the items he is selling   -  "This item is obtained direct from the respective publishers/suppliers. We do not sell second hand products."

Tony

• Please ask any questions prior to placing an order. Due to the fact that our system is totally automated we are unable to act upon or acknowledge any messages attached to your purchase (change of shipping address etc) through either eBay or Paypal
  • Please contact us by Ebay messages, do not open a case for question.

All seems to be a half-witted seller who apparently is so automated that his 'system' gives muddled information and can't be ar*ed to check prices. One wonders how these people actually do business.

• RMweb Premium

Actually, these volume sellers 'are' automated. When an item is out of stock, it resets the sale price from say £1.99 to something extreme such as £1,234.56.

When they have the items back in stock, the price reverts to the original selling price £1.99.

This is far easier for them to control ad manage, than having to delist/relist items constantly. It's pretty common across eBay, but pretty frustrating when you search and find an item, only to see a ridiculous 'price' on it.