EBay madness

Marcyg

Hmmm, I never get why people put "info" like that on listings in the first place though.  It's utterly irrelevant.....!

Possibly because notoriety sells, and the shameless will always capitalise on it. Wait for models of 46202, 46242 and 45637, to name but a few.

• RMweb Gold

Possibly because notoriety sells, and the shameless will always capitalise on it. Wait for models of 46202, 46242 and 45637, to name but a few.

A couple have been done in rtr...

http://www.hattons.co.uk/33574/Bachmann_Branchline_31_175Z_Class_5XP_Jubilee_4_6_0_45637_Windward_Islands_in_BR_green_with_early_emblem/StockDetail.aspx

http://www.hattons.co.uk/66908/Lima_L205278_Class_40_40126_in_BR_Blue/StockDetail.aspx

Hmmm, I never get why people put "info" like that on listings in the first place though.  It's utterly irrelevant.  It's like those that give a detailed history of (let's say) Eurostar design, build, politics, operations and maintenance to sell a Hornby Eurostar train set, or [let's say] describe the development of post war 1500V DC locos and EMUs to sell a Heljan EM2.  Pointless drivel that says nothing about what's actually being sold!

Perhaps because it makes them sell better. 

I remember seeing e-bay adverts at the same time for two Jouef 140C's (a large class of SNCF consolidations mostly built in Glasgow by NBL during WW1).  So far as you could tell from the listings they were in the same condition and I saw nothing that would have made either listing appear in more searches.

One advert gave all the information needed by a bidder including photos of the model but the other gave all that plus a well written and interesting paragraph about the prototype and its history including at least one photo of the real thing in service. The second model attracted far more bids and sold for 60-80% than the first. Had you already decided that you needed a 140C you would have been sensible to bid on the first. A couple of people did just and one of them got it for a good price. I'm guessing that the second attracted several bidders who were engaged by the advert and decided after reading it that they wanted the loco.  

Edited by Pacific231G

• RMweb Gold

I used to put big descriptions, but no one bothered, though one person did email me to correct my opinions, I did use the auction description to slate the LNER A1’s as being rubbish a little ;-)

Now I just put a disclaimer and refer to the pictures, and highlight the known issues

I find it makes no difference other than giving me minutes of my life back I otherwise would have lost.

Edited by adb968008

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toy-Train-Model-Collectible-1970-circa-16T-B75201/222694900135?hash=item33d9a681a7:g:~sUAAOSwA3dYHuyj

THIS LOVE LITTLE TRUCK IS A MUST FOR ANY COLLECTOR

I'm pleased to say I'm not any collector :yes:

It's the "C1970" seller again...

By quoting a Circa date, do they think we may think they are experts, and so the price is right?

:no:

• Like 1

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OO-gauge-model-railways-items-Bus-shelters-x-2-bus-stop/172963889392?hash=item28457380f0:g:S1IAAOSwAC1Z~ZPP

Twenty sovs for two bus shelters?  Really?

The kits are available widely for a gnat's gonad either side of a fiver, and let's face it, even the most ardent ready to plant enthusiast would struggle to make a Horlicks of building the old Merit kits. 

Heroic pricing at it's best.

Edited by wombatofludham
  • Like 1

Another one? It isn't even worth the postal charge! (The body moulding is crude and the underframe is pure bin material.)

My nearest model shop has a few pre-owned Bachmann ones at £6....

There's also this gem (Rovex circa1950 not 1970!)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LMS-7573-Railway-Train-Model-1970-circa-Vintage-toy-collectible-48/360859443370?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D48786%26meid%3D2c43f7f8bfc744e5a30cdcc0e726b3ce%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D222694900135&_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850

These only come in 'warped', but, in the unlikely event that anyone wants one, better examples are to be found for a couple of quid or so... (Unbroken and with both couplings).

(There are 4 different versions to collect, plus polystyrene ones which are easily recognised by still being straight.)

Edited by Il Grifone

• RMweb Gold

Isn't that just with added "Can't be bothered to look for the best price" tax?

Agreed, it’s a “taking the Micky” tax of about £55 if you compare it with a certain well known Liverpool based emporium!

• RMweb Gold

Unless they've owned it from day one, how do they know it's from a smoke and pet free home?

Even if the above applies, the original shop owner could have smoked or owned a pet.

The stupidity and arrogance of some people when disseminating irrelevant facts.

Mike.

Oh Ohh....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-boxed-Vintage-Triang-Hornby-Battle-Space-RARE-with-sleeves-incredible/263288537667?hash=item3d4d384243:g:QygAAOSwj99Z95Ai

Just because the boxes have the outer sleeves....does not make them Ex Shop stock....never out of boxes!  :no:

They had plastic film wrapping when new...these have been used, but looked after, then lost in the loft!

"so I cant be sure everything is complete" 

Well the boxes have some bits missing....the recess for the commandos in some cases...and the commandos themselves seem to be missing from some boxes....

These items look like they are almost shop stock, as in they don't appear to have been out of boxes 
True attic find, sleeves are a bit dusty, little bit of bird poo (on side of box - can be seen clearly on photos) (items as you can see are perfect)
I have not tried to clean off or delve in to see each part so I cant be sure everything is complete, I wouldn't know what to look for anyway - so please feel free to ask if you cant see something important to you clearly enough. 
There is a bag of the little men in one box but some boxes seem to have no or only a few men. - however may be behind packaging. 
Postage is free in UK - item will be sent tracked.

Edited by Sarahagain

• RMweb Premium

Unless they've owned it from day one, how do they know it's from a smoke and pet free home?

Even if the above applies, the original shop owner could have smoked or owned a pet.

The stupidity and arrogance of some people when disseminating irrelevant facts.

Bit harsh. Never bothered about that myself, although I did once buy something clearly from a smoking household, which stank, and wasn’t overly pleasant. You know exactly what he means - it doesn’t smell of smoke, and isn’t covered in hair. Yes, ok, maybe the shop owner smoked 30 years ago, but that’s like saying a car was owned by a non-smoker and you taking issue because maybe the guy at the dealership smoked. It’s neither arrogant nor stupid.

Oh Ohh....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-boxed-Vintage-Triang-Hornby-Battle-Space-RARE-with-sleeves-incredible/263288537667?hash=item3d4d384243:g:QygAAOSwj99Z95Ai

Just because the boxes have the outer sleeves....does not make them Ex Shop stock....never out of boxes!  :no:

They had plastic film wrapping when new...these have been used, but looked after, then lost in the loft!

"so I cant be sure everything is complete" 

Well the boxes have some bits missing....the recess for the commandos in some cases...and the commandos themselves seem to be missing from some boxes....

And sold for nearly 160 quid!  :O :o :scratchhead:

Bird poo and all!

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1