EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1423.l2649

and from the description half way down

" The body is finished in the very popular BR Maroon livery of the 1960's"

You don't say!

"aged and a little warn" adds a certain charm to the ad, too.

Point of accuracy, though - do we believe that Box Tunnel leads to the West of England, when I would have thought, then and now, that what I call the W of E is generally accessed via Newbury, or is that just the South West?

• Like 1

Okay. Not madness per se, in fact the exact opposite - just to inject a little reality for a change!

To think a while ago I was struggling to get hold of Hornby Sleepers for a now obviously shelved project. It's amazing that Bachmann's frothcoming zzz-cars have kicked the going rate down to 99p, well when I looked with 17 minutes left to run they had.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRI-ANG-SLEEPING-CAR-SHOWN-VGC-/280730465883?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item415cd6f65b#ht_500wt_1156

• RMweb Gold

Point of accuracy, though - do we believe that Box Tunnel leads to the West of England, when I would have thought, then and now, that what I call the W of E is generally accessed via Newbury, or is that just the South West?

According to at least one definition Box Tunnel is actually IN 'the West of England' and it is very definitely by most definitions in 'the West Country' (my personal preference regards 'the West of England' as Devon and Cornwall - assuming of course that one is content to accept that Cornwall is actually part of England while the West Country can reasonably be said to include Wiltshire, the western part of Hampshire and most of Gloucestershire). [Withdraws to deep bunker prepared for literary and geographial onslaughts].

• Like 1

I've found the loco that would have pulled the yellow-fronted autocoach. No prizes for guessing who's selling it...... and no surprises that the ubiquitous 'code 3' features in the spiel.....

http://www.ebay.co.u...000373248018000

If you bother to read his words you will find out that this loco is in the late B.R. gloss green. He forgot to say that it was the updated version with G.W.R. on the side?

OzzyO..

• RMweb Gold

According to at least one definition Box Tunnel is actually IN 'the West of England' and it is very definitely by most definitions in 'the West Country' (my personal preference regards 'the West of England' as Devon and Cornwall - assuming of course that one is content to accept that Cornwall is actually part of England while the West Country can reasonably be said to include Wiltshire, the western part of Hampshire and most of Gloucestershire). [Withdraws to deep bunker prepared for literary and geographial onslaughts].

Yes, but by implication, your definition thus includes Dorset - which now has electric trains! Ditto West Hamps, too. They are thus part of L&SE Commuter Belt, and cannot possibly be in the bucolic West Country! I agree W of E is Devon and Cornwall, where locals describing the rest of us visitors variously as emmetts and grockles makes them even more desirable as locations! I also have to admit that in my yoof, the BBC radio referred to their Bristol outpost as W of E, although the accents were less than true Somerset, where Bristol was then considered to be located. And, yes, even I know Bristol is reached via Box Tunnel. Life's realities can be tough at times.

• RMweb Gold

Yes, but by implication, your definition thus includes Dorset - which now has electric trains! Ditto West Hamps, too. They are thus part of L&SE Commuter Belt, and cannot possibly be in the bucolic West Country! I agree W of E is Devon and Cornwall, where locals describing the rest of us visitors variously as emmetts and grockles makes them even more desirable as locations! I also have to admit that in my yoof, the BBC radio referred to their Bristol outpost as W of E, although the accents were less than true Somerset, where Bristol was then considered to be located. And, yes, even I know Bristol is reached via Box Tunnel. Life's realities can be tough at times.

I seem to recall something called 'Wessex Electrics' (I'm not too well up on tram-trains since the 4 CORs went) and Wessex is in the West Country isn't it?) :beee:

• RMweb Gold

Is it just me, or is this guy really hopeful that someone will want all 5 of these Heljan locos enough to shell out £80 quid each for them? He says he won't split but will anyone even start the bidding at £400? There's not enough margin there to buy the lot and re-sell the ones you don't need IMHO

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-Different-Heljan-Locomotives-Joblot-/160646112240?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item25674123f0

• RMweb Premium

Well some think that 'Watford' is in the North.

Kevin Martin

As does:

Lima created these diesel hydraulic locomotives with a very realistic finish from colour scheme detail to bogies

Very realistic if you've never seen an actual Warship.

The one thing I wouldn't laugh at too much is the description of the paint scheme as Maroon instead of Green - it's probably an indication of red/green colour blindness (although being R/G colour blind myself I'd have Googled the part number on the end of the box to find out what colour it actually was).

Is it just me, or is this guy really hopeful that someone will want all 5 of these Heljan locos enough to shell out £80 quid each for them? He says he won't split but will anyone even start the bidding at £400? There's not enough margin there to buy the lot and re-sell the ones you don't need IMHO

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item25674123f0

"There is no splitting this lot up it is staying as a joblot sorry."

translates as:

There is no splitting this lot up they are staying unsold, sorry. I mean, rare as a 'Class 54' probably is, these locos are completely incompatible with each other, except with psychoactive levels of 'It's my trainset.'

Wheesh!

Point of accuracy, though - do we believe that Box Tunnel leads to the West of England, when I would have thought, then and now, that what I call the W of E is generally accessed via Newbury, or is that just the South West?</span></span></span>

To me Newbury is nowhere near the South West - more like North West. Id say only Cornwall, Devon, Dorset and Somerset can call themselves the "South West" as for "West of England" you can count in anything as far North as Cumbria and Lancashire.

To many Newbury is Central England as Birminham and Watford are "North"

translates as:

There is no splitting this lot up they are staying unsold, sorry. I mean, rare as a 'Class 54' probably is, these locos are completely incompatible with each other, except with psychoactive levels of 'It's my trainset.'

And that postage is a rip off for standard recorded unless they are individually wrapped in gold leaf!

Packing: wrap in bubblewrap then brown paper and tie with a string - works for one well known supplier.

For that value I would expect insurance.

In excellent A1 condition...front buffers broken off and missing. Presumably this guy thinks there's an A0 condition for a complete one?

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item415cffcac3

Oh and he can't guarantee there aren't any small parts missing but it's 'A1' - no pic to show the actual state just a pic of box (which is in good condition)

In addition to the above: "THIS IS NOT A DIGITAL LOCO ITS DCC" (his shouting, not mine!)

Kit went for £180.99....

Ouch !

Was that £30.99 for the brass and £150 for the word "Impetus" ... Really stupid prices being realised now for these RARE unstarted kits ... well beyond their worth (except to  collector)

Not much profit in it either once you add in all the missing parts, build it, paint and weather it before re-selling