EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold

Start an email with the person you want to send the photo to.  Select the paperclip 'attachment' icon at the top of your email page, and you will be given a link to the photo library, where you can select images to be attached.  It will take several hours for them to attach, and for the recipient to recieve the email with the attachment, but it will get there eventually.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Esmedune said:

I can't find the RRP for a 7F, but surely this is getting out of hand?

53809 is one of the harder models to find.   I wanted a 53809 because I have travelled behind the full size prototype in preservation on the East Lancs Railway and the North York Moors Railway.  I eventually gave up and bought a 53806 for around £100, which I then re-numbered to 53809.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

7F not in the current online Bachmann catalogue so presumably not in production or expected.  If an ROD can be thought of as comparable, the RRP for this is £189.95, which puts matters in perspective.  If the price of brand new models goes up, the price of 'as new' and other eBay models will be pulled upwards as well, and as this loco is not available a bidding war could take it higher still!

There seem to be some other models missing from the current online catalogue as well; 57xx, 8750, 94xx, 56xx!  Glad I bought my locos when I did...  Bachmanns' prices have gone up and will no doubt continue to travel north; their cheapest loco is now £130 beer vouchers, and they are listing 49 models either available or awaiting, which I think represent 26 different toolings when livery variations, tender variations, and DCC & DCC with sound versions are taken into account.  They seem to be downsizing their operation; no doubt the models currently unlisted will reappear in time and the current ones will be given a rest.

This will indubitably have an effect on secondhand prices, particularly on bidding sites where matters can become volatile if there is a percieved scarcity of a model on the market at a given time, which is something that seems to apply to the 7F at the moment.  Not sure this counts as 'eBay madness', it is the immutable and pitiless iron law of supply and demand...

Whether enterprise led capitalism is altogether sane is a different matter, and I have my own views on it, which I prefer to keep to myself until i've come up with a viable alternative, thanks.  Don't hold your breath!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Whether enterprise led capitalism is altogether sane is a different matter, and I have my own views on it, which I prefer to keep to myself until i've come up with a viable alternative, thanks.  Don't hold your breath!

Sometimes raising a voice against insanity is better than keeping quiet (ref the Arch Bish of Canterbury Easter message). And its always good to get things off your chest!

Thing is, these prices are only encouraged because there are too many Troll feeders. At present, there are 20 bids in* and 37 minutes to go...

Postscript: 23 bids and up to £150.50 Inc delivery. I'm thinking that if it were available new, the RRP would be north of that.

* Haven't looked to see how many Trolls this represents.

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

@Hroth, What is your definition of a troll feeder? Is that like a shill bidder or just someone who enjoys bumping the price up with no intention of being the winner?

You can never tell, there will always be bidders who drop out because they reached a personal limit and were overtaken by deeper pockets.  It's just when you get auctions which seem "odd".

Where the 7F is concerned, on reflection, and considering what current RTR models of similar complexity are being marketed at, £150 is probably a fair price if you want one. And as the starting price was £50, I wouldn't characterise the vendor as a Troll either.

Edited by Hroth
pressed the wrong button...
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

34 minutes ago, cessna152towser said:

EFE 00 gauge model bus, starting price £3, bid up and sold for £600.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284762846101?hash=item424d303395:g:T7QAAOSwUnJiQiIG

Extraordinary given the general oversupply of 50s/60s bus models. It is clearly desirable as three bidders were in the fray to £200 but the final price was achieved because two bidders slugged it out from there on. I wonder if the seller will get paid or if buyer's remorse will kick in

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Auction fever.  It happens sometimes at all auctions.  People decide they want something and

lose all sense of proportion.

Cue half a dozen of those buses appearing on eBay with a £500 buy it now price! 

• Funny 5

37 minutes ago, 40152 said:

Hello, what’s this? £9.99 for an empty box? Complete with one bit of sellotape too:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224930656588?hash=item345ee9714c:g:tC8AAOSw3KRiUthj

Ah yes, silly me, it’s for a precious Hornby ‘Nellie’. That explains it, then....

Cheers,

’152

For an extra tenner, you get a loco in the box.

Curious livery though!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394028110735?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=t2xl6dl7sj-&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=3qkTzGg7QRS&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

33 minutes ago, 40152 said:

Hello, what’s this? £9.99 for an empty box? Complete with one bit of sellotape too:

Ah yes, silly me, it’s for a precious Hornby ‘Nellie’. That explains it, then....

Cheers,

’152

But in that style of box, you also need the two bits of cardboard tubing to slip over the buffers and protect the couplings. As it will be posted "flat", you obviously won't get those.

l've got a Dock Authority shunter in its original Triang (pre merger!) box, WITH the cardboard tubes AND paperwork. must be worth a bob or two....

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Bonkers!

The box insert looks in as bad condition as the box front.

This is nice...

A non working Jinty with a "cart" that must belong to a 3F tender loco. a snip at only £25 plus delivery!

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Looks like somebody had  spare Airfix Luftwaffe transfers!

9 minutes ago, Hroth said:

But in that style of box, you also need the two bits of cardboard tubing to slip over the buffers and protect the couplings. As it will be posted "flat", you obviously won't get those.

l've got a Dock Authority shunter in its original Triang (pre merger!) box, WITH the cardboard tubes AND paperwork. must be worth a bob or two....

Go on then, two.

Mike.

• Like 3
  • Funny 4

3 hours ago, 40152 said:

Cheers,

’152

3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

Actually to be completely authentic it would need the yellow foam wrapper, but the originals have long since crumbled to dust. Plus a Service Scheme booklet and stamped Operating Manual. However there is an active market in trading those (I've got a pile which are used to complement the correct models should they pass through my hands).

There is a decent collectors market for Nellie/Polly/Connie in clean condition because so many were well used. That box is a fair price IF you need it to go with the model.
There are plenty of items in this (very long lived) thread that are just plain bonkers. Then there are the things (like this) which are bonkers to some, but not others, which is great because it means there are sellers, buyers and everyone can be happy 😀

Edited by andyman7
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1