EBay madness

Marcyg

6 minutes ago, ianmacc said:

Needs to go in the prototype for everything thread what with the bogieless DMU too!!

Thats the remains of one of the DMU coaches that survived the fire...

If you read the link under the photo, it sounds like they had fun'n'games at Chester General that evening!  Luckily there were no fatalities.

Thats the other thing, you don't get stock waiting to be scrapped in a scrapyard, you just get stock waiting to be taken to the scrapyard...

Edited by Hroth
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Thats the other thing, you don't get stock waiting to be scrapped in a scrapyard, you just get stock waiting to be taken to the scrapyard...

Woodhams had stock waiting to be scrapped for 30 years

Then there was Vic Berry's, literally piled the locos and units on top of each other like a second hand stall at a bring and buy.

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Peterem said:

Anyone tempted by this bargain in Hatton's sale?

https://www.hattons.co.uk/971047/hattons_originals_h4_p_004_po08_secr_p_class_0_6_0t_a325_in_sr_lined_maunsell_green_with_maunsell_lettering_pre/stockdetail

90 sovs for a non-runner with "heat damage" but a very good box - clearly worth less than a tenner off the RRP.  Just make sure you check the small photo of the other side, which suggests the heat damage was the result of a stray Russian missile.

I like how Hats have managed to ‘forget to mention’ that the mech is hopelessly out of quarter, and probably irrepairable.  Motor might be salvageable, worth about a tenner, tops. Completely worthless junk from mendacious chiselling scouse b*stids. 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

25 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Then there was Vic Berry's, literally piled the locos and units on top of each other like a second hand stall at a bring and buy.

Yes but.  That glut was the result of insane management decisions by certain politicians and BR.  In the case of individual fallen stock, they seem to linger in a siding near where they met their maker for a relatively short period while local management decide they're not worth fixing, then they're dragged off to the knackers pronto!

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Dai Woodham had storage space ‘the field’, and kept the locos as a ‘banker’ (his own description) to keep his boys in work if the wagons dried up, because wagons could be cut quicker and realised cash sooner; compare Cashmore’s in Newport which cut locos within 48 hours of arrival, very efficient. 

Correctly modelled locos in scrap condition should have the regulator, reverser, gauges, other cab controls, any name/number/works plates, and cab window glass removed, and safety valves taken out in case some idiot tries to raise steam* , and the motion taken off and stashed in the tender or bunker, but do not take on the Woodham’s derelict look (rust livery, bits missing, and painted signage) for some time.  Locos at Woodhams in the mid 60s often looked better externally than many still in service, and liveries could still be discerned a decade or so later, though the deterioration was setting in by then.  Withdrawn locos do not turn orange with rust overnight at the transfer to scrappie stage, takes a couple decades of abandonment for the full Woodhams effect.  

* We sometimes lit fires in the fireboxes to get photographic smoke from the chimneys, and/or to keep warm on cold days.  We once rescued a couple of lads who’d taken shelter from a squall in the smokebox of a spamcan and the door had blown and slamjammed shut on them, took the combined strength of 3 gricers including Graham, a rugby forwatd of the sort that is handy for shifting things, and a crowbar borrowed from Dai in his brakevan office to open it.  

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Peterem said:

Anyone tempted by this bargain in Hatton's sale?

https://www.hattons.co.uk/971047/hattons_originals_h4_p_004_po08_secr_p_class_0_6_0t_a325_in_sr_lined_maunsell_green_with_maunsell_lettering_pre/stockdetail

90 sovs for a non-runner with "heat damage" but a very good box - clearly worth less than a tenner off the RRP.  Just make sure you check the small photo of the other side, which suggests the heat damage was the result of a stray Russian missile.

Looks like its been poked with an hot soldering iron! The image does funny things to my brain - like being weirdly drunk??

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Bucoops said:

No-one would have believed....

The price of the thing.

i think someone may have been smoking the red weed while pricing it up! 

it makes me wonder if they deliberately price items like this to get people talking/clicking/sharing which directs people to their site, if one person spots something else they have been after then buys it then it a bonus sale for them……

……then I see how much everything else is being touted for and realise, nope, that’s not the case at all! 

• Funny 5

5 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Siding fodder for a 'War of the Worlds' layout?

If that was the best the Martians could do with their heat-rays then they must have been on their way out.

Earth 1:0 Mars

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

If that was the best the Martians could do with their heat-rays then they must have been on their way out.

"I began to compare the things to human machines, to ask myself for the first time in my life how an ironclad or a [second-hand model] steam-engine would seem to an intelligent lower animal.” 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Hroth said:

I scrambled up to the crest of Chesterfield Road, and the RoS camp was below me. A mighty space it was, and scattered about it, by their overturned display cabinets, were the second-hand models- dead... slain, after all man's devices had failed, by the humblest things upon the Earth. Interns.

• Round of applause 3
  • Funny 8

7 hours ago, Bucoops said:

I scrambled up to the crest of Chesterfield Road, and the RoS camp was below me. A mighty space it was, and scattered about it, by their overturned display cabinets, were the second-hand models- dead... slain, after all man's devices had failed, by the humblest things upon the Earth. Interns.

Gawd! This is SO exciting! 😎👽🚆

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Bucoops said:

Pedantically, if you scrambled up to the crest of Chesterfield Road you'd be at Abbey Lane and RoS would be nowhere in sight, The Abbey and The Big Tree maybe, but not RoS!

Mike.

Edited by Enterprisingwestern
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

6 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Pedantically, if you scrambled up to the crest of Chesterfield Road you'd be at Abbey Lane and RoS would be nowhere in sight, The Abbey and The Big Tree maybe, but not RoS!

Mike.

These RoS guys are cunning monkeys, they probably have cloaking technology!

• RMweb Gold

UNKNOWN MAKE 'N' GAUGE BR CLASS 27 DIESEL LOCOMOTIVE

SPARES OR REPAIR BOXED CONDITION

NON RUNNER - NEEDS ATTENTION

SOLD AS SEEN

Boxed: YES - WRONG TIRED BOX

What's "Boxed Condition"?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, PieGuyRob said:

Spoiler alert, it's not a class 27.

Looks like a Lone Star body on a different chassis. Originally it would've had overscale tension lock couplings. The original chassis was gearless and used two little bands to drive the axles direct from the motor shaft. These run faster than a rat up a drainpipe!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Madreddog said:

Looks like a Lone Star body on a different chassis. Originally it would've had overscale tension lock couplings. The original chassis was gearless and used two little bands to drive the axles direct from the motor shaft. These run faster than a rat up a drainpipe!

It isn't even fit for going down a drainpipe, never mind up one. Even moving the decimal point 4 places to the left........

Edited by 96701
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3