Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, John Besley said:

Question...

"Very good, as its an antique it must have some sort of providence to justify its price..."

The reply ...

It's folkart and yes the price is reflected upon what we had to pay for it to obtain it. We are happy to take respectfully bids if you wish to present one. Thanks

Question -

I thought it was made in the 1930's, it just intrigues me the story behind this art work

The reply ...

That's the beauty of folkart. Sometimes the mystery of the creation is the appeal of the object 
Harry

I might point out the misleading coments in his description as a parting shot tomorrow 

• Like 5
  • Funny 3

35 minutes ago, John Besley said:

The reply ...

It's folkart and yes the price is reflected upon what we had to pay for it to obtain it. We are happy to take respectfully bids if you wish to present one. Thanks

Question -

I thought it was made in the 1930's, it just intrigues me the story behind this art work

The reply ...

That's the beauty of folkart. Sometimes the mystery of the creation is the appeal of the object 
Harry

I might point out the misleading coments in his description as a parting shot tomorrow 

Researching the company suggests he may not be called 'Harry'? Furthermore, searching for 'folk art train' on ebay brings up many more oddities!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Researching the company suggests he may not be called 'Harry'? Furthermore, searching for 'folk art train' on ebay brings up many more oddities!

Amazing how many of such rare pieces of history have survived isn't it?

• Agree 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

I wonder how much I could get for this fifty-year-old piece of Zummerzet folk art - Ks tender drive with a set of wheels removed - cab plasticard - 'bonnet' balsa with card board wrapper, axle guards from an old white metal wagon, buffers probably from the same. 

S&DJR Sentinel 101 vintage 1968.JPG

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

Provenance dear chap.

Then again, they might be a little more verbose with someone they think is a keen amateur rather than a professional valuer trying to call them out!

Perhaps they're calling upon Divine Providence to justify their ambitious pricing policy!

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

18 minutes ago, phil_sutters said:

I wonder how much I could get for this fifty-year-old piece of Zummerzet folk art - Ks tender drive with a set of wheels removed - cab plasticard - 'bonnet' balsa with card board wrapper, axle guards from an old white metal wagon, buffers probably from the same. 

S&DJR Sentinel 101 vintage 1968.JPG

You should put that on eBay for a few grand and try to imply that it was found in a cupboard when Highbridge works closed down...

PS, I like it, it's rather eccentric.

• Funny 3

It's a pity that it wasn't like in fables and movies. You know, the happy ending:

Cautiously, the people began to come out of their damp little houses, "The witch is dead!" somebody shouted and they all began to sing and the sun came out for the first time in years and the colours came back, the birds began to sing, the flowers blossomed and then the pit wheels began to spin, the furnaces roared, shouts and clangs came from the shipyards and the railways and out of the Midlands poured cars and motorbikes and spanners and nails and toys for the children who could safely play in the streets once more whilst their mothers left the back door of the house unlocked...

Oh hang on, here comes John and Tony and Gordon and David and Boris, stuffing their pockets as the S.S.Brittania's stern slips beneath the waves.

Not to worry, you can all get stoned and watch celebrity TV while you wait for your pizza to arrive.

Sweet dreams boys and girls....

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 1

3 hours ago, John Besley said:

The reply ...

Question -

The reply ...

Harry

This email correspondence reminds me of Joe Lycett on 8 Out Of 10 Cats Does Countdown reporting upon somebody trying to scam him out of a fee to look at a flat for hire!*

It was hilarious because of the increasing absurdity of his messages… whereas this one is the increasing absurdity of the replies!

Maybe we should get Joe to investigate all these fake “folk art” items for sale on eBay?!

HOURS OF FUN!

* I’m sure this was the genesis of his consumer series Joe Lycett: I’ve Got Your Back!

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

It's a pity that it wasn't like in fables and movies. You know, the happy ending:

Cautiously, the people began to come out of their damp little houses, "The witch is dead!" somebody shouted and they all began to sing and the sun came out for the first time in years and the colours came back, the birds began to sing, the flowers blossomed and then the pit wheels began to spin, the furnaces roared, shouts and clangs came from the shipyards and the railways and out of the Midlands poured cars and motorbikes and spanners and nails and toys for the children who could safely play in the streets once more whilst their mothers left the back door of the house unlocked...

Oh hang on, here comes John and Tony and Gordon and David and Boris, stuffing their pockets as the S.S.Brittania's stern slips beneath the waves.

Not to worry, you can all get stoned and watch celebrity TV while you wait for your pizza to arrive.

Sweet dreams boys and girls....

No, there was no fairy tale ending, but at least the witch was dead…

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

No, there was no fairy tale ending, but at least the witch was dead…

Exactly, things are just steadily getting worse and there doesn't seem to be anyone willing (though there's plenty who are able) to do anything about it. All that either side of the house are interested in is their own pet projects that won't benefit the country as a whole and improve things for the likes of you and me whilst feathering their own nests. All traitors to a man/ woman / person / they / them / it.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Exactly, things are just steadily getting worse and there doesn't seem to be anyone willing (though there's plenty who are able) to do anything about it. All that either side of the house are interested in is their own pet projects that won't benefit the country as a whole and improve things for the likes of you and me whilst feathering their own nests. All traitors to a man/ woman / person / they / them / it.

I thought that was the definition of a politician?

Mike.

• Agree 3
  • Funny 3

16 hours ago, Hroth said:

But portable engines have four wheels, even if none are driven.  Otherwise, they wouldn't be portable...

B. J. Kemp, of St Neot, Cornwall should be ashamed of himslef!

I think it is small enough to pick up and port to the metal recycling bin where it belongs!

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, eastglosmog said:

I think it is small enough to pick up and port to the metal recycling bin where it belongs!

Didnt they say in the army - if it had a strap on it you could carry it and if it had brown sauce on it you could eat it...

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

This email correspondence reminds me of Joe Lycett on 8 Out Of 10 Cats Does Countdown reporting upon somebody trying to scam him out of a fee to look at a flat for hire!*

It was hilarious because of the increasing absurdity of his messages… whereas this one is the increasing absurdity of the replies!

Maybe we should get Joe to investigate all these fake “folk art” items for sale on eBay?!

HOURS OF FUN!

* I’m sure this was the genesis of his consumer series Joe Lycett: I’ve Got Your Back!

Honestly, does it matter in the slightest?

If people are foolish enough to buy overpriced crap, who really cares? Just because the seller advertises heaps of junk on eBay, doesn't mean it gets sold. Not by anyone reading this thread, I would almost guarantee.

Instead we have pages and pages referencing this rubbish.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, ianmacc said:

The trouble is, I am now looking at my inadequate sheep on my layout…

If I flocked my sheep I think they might appreciate the added warm coat, but they would look very over dressed. Please note that this photo was taken and captioned at a previous time and should not be taken as poking fun at the workers involved in current industrial action.

Sheep protest.jpg

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Especially as he couldn't spell the name of his home town. It's St. Neots.

St. Neot - Cornwall

St Neots - Camb

Oh and by the way St. Neot Cornwall is a village

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1