EBay madness

Marcyg

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

As long as you don't use Veet for men.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R3GDDEL1SC1QQ5

I nearly laughed myself to death at that, so the memsahib wanted to see and laughed til she cried.

She's gone to calm down but says that she holds you responsible if she ends up buying Tena Lady thirty years before her time.

Might be a good idea to send a Facebook friend request to Elon Musk, just in case you need to leave the planet....

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

As long as you don't use Veet for men.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R3GDDEL1SC1QQ5

"A friend" is now regretting not going for a tinkle before he decided to read that................

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 3

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Custard Creams are fine, preferable to Bourbon Creams...

I'm sure that they put a form of crack cocaine in those things which is only activated by hot tea.

Because you are likely to eat a whole packet and spend the rest of the day feeling like a F.L.B.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3

13 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Not the snorted variety, I guess? (asking for a friend)

Something noxious and instantly addictive. 

It's very rare we have biscuits. We had some cookies at Christmas that were like someone had ram raided Thornton's.

There were only about ten, but someone made me eat all but two because she didn't want to get fat...

• Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

31 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Something noxious and instantly addictive. 

It's very rare we have biscuits. We had some cookies at Christmas that were like someone had ram raided Thornton's.

There were only about ten, but someone made me eat all but two because she didn't want to get fat...

You sacrificed yourself for your beloved? Respect!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Swissrail said:

Not in Scotland it appeared. We never had to go through RI although we did have to endure hymn singing at assembly every Friday morning...torture because it was always the same hymns, week in, week out...Onward Christian Soldiers being my pet hate; still is fifty years later. If you forgot to bring your hymn book for this event, the headmaster took you aside at the end and gave you three lashes of the belt. Christianity in action!

Thus GUARANTEEING you hated religion for the rest of your life- an own goal!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

We broke our RI teacher, a West Walian fundamentalist alcoholic with very proscribed views on, well, everything.  When I say broke, he was a somewhat damaged individual anyway and we didn't have much work to do, but when Dave Crowle-Groves claimed that he was a practicing Satanist (he was, to be fair, the sort of boy of whom you would find such a claim credible; he was, with the best will in the world, a bit odd, and even in the company of 14-year schoolboys in an all-boys Grammar School was considered to be obsessed with sex), the Rev'd Iolo Rees-Thomas lost it, and a deputation had to be sent to the staff room to inform anyone handy that he was actually in the process of crucifying Dave to the fairly large pine cross he brought into lessons sometimes, and could they come and do something about him.  He'd got as far as sending a prefect to the woodwork shop for a hammer and some 6-inch nails (who also rather sensibly joined the staff room rescue mission) and looked as if he was quite happy and more than ready to commit serious harm.  Great for a laugh but enough's enough, we thought, and it took four teachers and a couple of our bigger rugby players to haul him off the hapless Jesus-substitute who was now being screamed at for being the Anti-Christ.

He was frogmarched off babbling incoherently, never to return.  We were told that he had gone on a Sabbatical, but this was probably at the local Mental Hospital.  The matter was hushed up quite effectively, certainly the press and parents never got hold of it, and we were under pain of, I dunno, something dreadful, to keep schtum.  We kept schtum.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

We’ve had this a few pages back, presumably it’s been relisted.  I checked out the seller’s other stuff looking for something else to laugh at but the rest is fairly sane in comparison to, um, whatever this is intended to be…

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Darius43 said:

Apologies for the repetition but I felt the need to change the subject…

Speaking of cut and shut.

Cheers

Darius

Cheers Darius

It needed to be done.

Interesting back story, a link to an article or design sketch might just help sell this thing, but there never is!

Cheers,

Rob.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Darius43 said:

Apologies for breaking this RI and biscuits stream of consciousness but back on eBay this has appeared.

Battlespace cut and shut perchance?   Not to be humped it says but I fear it’s too late…

Cheers

Darius

At least it's modelling, no sitting round complaining that there isn't a RTR version.

Mike.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Swissrail said:

Then there's this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/364123657865?hash=item54c7761689:g:NB4AAOSwcExj0m58

Retailed for about £275 but now that it's discontinued, Go$tude will sell you this one for a mere £799.50. Bargain!

Actually for one of those (pre new batch announcement) that's cheap.

They were going for up to two and a half grand a pop at one point although there were suspicions someone was deliberately sabotaging the auctions in some cases.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

1 hour ago, John M Upton said:

They were going for up to two and a half grand a pop at one point although there were suspicions someone was deliberately sabotaging the auctions in some cases.

A few years ago I got a Lima SBB Gottardo six car electric multiple unit on Ebay for less than half that. Sounds a lot until you realise it was one of the sets that had been completely rebuilt  by Hui Modellbau in Switzerland with a brand new machined brass power car chassis powered by a coreless motor driving all six axles, skirts over the bogies added but with the bogies' top edges cut down so that they would still swivel, fully painted and lit interiors, window blinds, new flexible corridor connections, full repaint, passengers and new pantographs. It's a beauty and rivals the Lematec brass one in terms of how it looks and for about £3,000 less.

Hui_RAe_TEE_1051_1052_SBB_02.JPG.3917063e4ae998d58b2f521097b936b6.JPG

Hui_RAe_TEE_1051_1052_SBB_05.JPG.2c4abfdc7720e8e194571e3ac7c3a287.JPG

Edited by Swissrail
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

How much?!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334696652576?epid=1673592247&hash=item4ded799f20:g:iyMAAOSwrcpju9FZ

280 quid for something that is freelance and...

BOXED

VERY GOOD USED

This locomotive has not had a lot of use. There are some light marks.

One pantograph is broken and one headlamp is a little intermittent in operation, so needs to be re set with the pins.

This version dates from around 1961 production with the  Triang Railways spaced far apart on the sides and working headlamps.

So that's alright then. It's old, has working headlamps and is therefore worth a king's ransom.

• Like 2

Just now, Swissrail said:

How much?!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334696652576?epid=1673592247&hash=item4ded799f20:g:iyMAAOSwrcpju9FZ

280 quid for something that is freelance and...

BOXED

VERY GOOD USED

This locomotive has not had a lot of use. There are some light marks.

One pantograph is broken and one headlamp is a little intermittent in operation, so needs to be re set with the pins.

This version dates from around 1961 production with the  Triang Railways spaced far apart on the sides and working headlamps.

So that's alright then. It's old, has working headlamps and is therefore worth a king's ransom.

It’s Go$tude - he doesn’t need a reason to price anything at a king’s ransom except maybe whether there is a “Y” in the name of the day he posts it onto eBay.

Steve S

• Agree 4

6 hours ago, Darius43 said:

Apologies for the repetition but I felt the need to change the subject…

Speaking of cut and shut.

Cheers

Darius

I think that is done quite well, but having looked it up on eBay itself I think the loco seen in the photos behind (so called Class 39) is even more interesting - it’s like a forerunner of the Class 89!

Certainly given me a couple of ideas for “backdating” some modern locos, stylistically!

Steve S

• Like 3