EBay madness

Marcyg

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Hroth said:

According to Antics shipping info, the kit probably classes as "Small, flat items which can be sent by letter post £3.00", so the item price of £3.00 plus shipping will amount to £6.00. More than half the price that Rocket want...

Pedantically, less than half!

Mike.

Hat etc.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, TimberValleyRailway said:

And apart from the title being rather inconclusive,

Well, at least D16 and the 2P have a wheel arrangement in common!

They've gone over to AI Ebay listing, with the AI trained only on the LNER Encyclopedia?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, TimberValleyRailway said:

And apart from the title being rather inconclusive, who'd want to pay the best part of £40 for a damaged split chassis loco?!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195851219586

Technically a D16/ or D16/2 were 2P's in BR days, I believe. Although the model isn't of one.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Darius43 said:

This ‘cut-n-shutter’ modeller has featured here before with his Blue Pullman based creations. I like his imaginative re-use of the Triang base models, and some of the cut-n-shut work is really good - I’ve had to look really hard to spot the join on this “Blue Pullman Shunter”!

I’m glad someone has put a bid in on it - it’s quirky enough to grab attention/raise an eyebrow/garner a comment (or two) … although personally I find that my own appreciation of the cuteness of this particular specimen is rapidly overwhelmed by the logical part of my brain telling me that it simply doesn’t look right, which (thankfully) stops me from bidding on it!

HOURS OF FUN!

• Like 6

I'm thinking about going in the opposite direction, digging out all my offcuts of Tri-ang clerestories and gluing the lot together to make a 110ft seventeen compartment slip coach or something, just to get featured on here....

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

12 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I'm thinking about going in the opposite direction, digging out all my offcuts of Tri-ang clerestories and gluing the lot together to make a 110ft seventeen compartment slip coach or something, just to get featured on here....

Do it!! 🤣

DEFINITELY WOULD BE HOURS OF FUN!!

PS

Remember, it would need to be advertised on eBay for an eye-watering price, say BIN £110 (£10 per scale foot) and with a “L@@K! RARE! Unique kit built hand finished bespoke scratch built Hornby Bachmann Heljan coach!” title to get featured in THIS thread!!

Edited by SteveyDee68
Added a PS
  • Agree 4
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 1

17 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

A railway version of the 'bendy bus'??

• Funny 4

2 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

PPS

Just thought - better state that it is NOT DCC or DCC ready … wouldn’t want allegations of incorrectly describing it, would you?!

😉

You may discover that DCC has become a new gender identity term?

• Funny 4

9 hours ago, Swissrail said:

Artificial Intelligence. The biggest joke since they told us that electricity generated in nuclear power stations would be free!

https://bigthink.com/the-future/why-a-i-is-a-big-fat-lie/

Off topic I know, but I was reading complaints today from Chat GPT users that the makers appear to be dumbing it down, it's either to save on servers or because of possible lititgation from various copyright owners due to the copious volume of copyrighted material it has consumed whilst being trained.  Interesting they use the word 'training' a lot, it has to be 'trained', makes it sound more like a monkey than a being that learns.....

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Off topic I know, but I was reading complaints today from Chat GPT users that the makers appear to be dumbing it down, it's either to save on servers or because of possible lititgation from various copyright owners due to the copious volume of copyrighted material it has consumed whilst being trained.  Interesting they use the word 'training' a lot, it has to be 'trained', makes it sound more like a monkey than a being that learns.....

It has been said that if you leave a load of monkeys in a room full of typewriters for long enough you will have a roomful of dead monkeys.

Cheers

Darius

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8

19 minutes ago, Darius43 said:

It has been said that if you leave a load of monkeys in a room full of typewriters for long enough you will have a roomful of dead monkeys.

Cheers

Darius

I wonder what would happen if you left a load of monkeys in a room full of Backwoods Minatures kits??

• Funny 4

14 hours ago, woodenhead said:

I had a colleague, an electronics engineering genius, who always adamantly stated that "Artificial Intelligence" was at best a misnomer and at worst a cynical marketing ploy. He called it merely "pattern recognition" and it appears he was right. Intelligence, true, reasoning intelligence, is a function of consciousness; a non-physical phenomenon a machine can never possess. Nor is it something that can arise spontaneously once a certain threshhold of machine complexity is reached or surpassed. I attended a Royal Society of Edinburgh lecture on AI more than twenty years ago on the possibility of the "conscious machine". I asked the speaker, a leading light in the field at the time, if consciousness was a function of immense complexity or was it something more. Without hesitation he said "something far more". He said that we have so far been unable to find the seat of our own consciousness and do not even understand what it is so the possibility of replicating it in a machine is a pipe dream. We might be able to replicate its effects in some crude way but there is no possibility at all of a machine ever exceeding the sum of its own programming and becoming sentient.

Artificial Intelligence as it is punted by the tech giants, both personal and corporate, is a myth.

Edited by Swissrail
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3